Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 03-22-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
dynalmadman
dynalmadman began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook eReader for Blackberry
'Fastest' format for the Nook?

If this is the wrong place for this question, please tell me the better place.

I have an ebook in .txt format and I used Calibre to convert it to epub and put it on my Nook. It converted fine, and transferred fine and read fine, up to a point.

It came out to be about 440 'nook' pages long and the further I read, the slower it got between page turns. At first is was less than a second, and by the time I got to page 220 or so, it was sometimes 5 or 6 seconds to turn a page.

I took the .txt file, deleted everything I had already read, and converted it again. Put it on the Nook, and starting from the 'adjusted' page one, the page turns are once again fast. Until I get another 200 pages or so, I am guessing.

So (FINALLY!) my question. Is there a preferred format for the nook, when speed is the important factor? Or should I just start out dividing the .txt files into smaller chunks and doing it that way?

Thanks for any input!
Michael
dynalmadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
What eBook is this?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-22-2010, 11:20 PM   #3
dynalmadman

It's a thing a good friend wrote a few years ago. Just a simple .txt file, I think it was originally an HTML file, but he saved it as a .txt and sent it to me.

Michael
Old 03-22-2010, 11:47 PM   #4
ctos
Enthusiast
ctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-booksctos has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook, G1
I have the similar issue before, when I open a ePub file (with embedded Chinese font) after about 2100 pages, the speed of page turn took about 20 seconds and finally I got FC (force close). The issue can be reproduced but I have never tried another book larger than 2000 pages. I guess this is a software issue of ADE.

I want to know whether there are any other has similar issue.
ctos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 01:47 AM   #5
dynalmadman

Found the problem. It was in Calibre. There is a setting for EPUB output that has to do with file splitting. The default is 260k. This has to do with the xml formatting, or something. Somehow, I had added a zero and made the setting 2060. So the file was so big, it just started slowing down as I read further. I set it back to 260, reconverted, and page turning is back to almost bearable speed.

Michael
Advert
Old 08-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #6
EricWiz
EricWiz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505
I have this same issue with books I have converted using Calibre. I know the setting you are talking about and mine is still set at 260. When I get 200 or so pages in it really get slow on the page turns, maybe upwards of 10 seconds.

Anyone else having this problem and any thoughts on a solution?

Eric
EricWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 10:27 PM   #7
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
You can split them into more small files, such as turn the setting from 260 to 130 or 64
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:43 PM   #8
dharh
dharh began at the beginning.

Device: nook,ipad,netbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post
I have this same issue with books I have converted using Calibre. I know the setting you are talking about and mine is still set at 260. When I get 200 or so pages in it really get slow on the page turns, maybe upwards of 10 seconds.

Eric
Was this e-pub format or something else? I have thus far not had issues with books in 200+ range. Though most of those were 300-400, but the last two books I read had 600 and near 900 respectively. I will have to pay closer attention to see if I can detect any difference from page 1 to page 900. I am wondering if some books are causing it while some are not (even if they have the same book size).
dharh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 10:47 PM   #9
Sylver
Addict
Sylver began at the beginning.

Device: The Nook, iPad
I have a scanned PDF file of more than 300mb and with 2000+ pages, never noticed such issue, will try again.
Sylver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 08:02 AM   #10
EricWiz
EricWiz has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: prs-505
I figured out what my issue was.

When Calibre converts a book, it looks to split pages at 260K I think it is. It will also look to split at each chapter. Because of the format of my book, it did not recognize the chapter splits so the files were long.

My solution was to download Sigil from code.google.com and use that to split the files at the chapter level. Now everything is fast again.

I guess I could have changed the file size from the 260, as suggested, down in size but Sigil allowed me to split where I wanted to as opposed to an ambigous split.

Hopefully if anyone else is having a similar issue this will help!

Eric
EricWiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 04:36 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricWiz View Post

Eric
The 505 I've been reading with has not had a problem with page turns near the end of a flow. And I've converted some Discworld books that don't have chapters so they'd be almost full size split flows.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote