Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-25-2016, 12:48 PM   #1231
outadoc
outadoc began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2 / Kindle Touch 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Also note that the serial number table says that support was added only in the most recent version of KindleTool.

Which also means support is only in the most recent re-build of the packages in the snapshot thread.
That is the only place on this site you will find packages for that model.
Alright, so- false alert, I tried the packages from the snapshots thread and they're working correctly. USBNetworking and Screensavers mods are working.

I don't think anything else is to be blamed here except for my insufficient research, so sorry for that. It's really confusing that the "main" tweak threads point to out of date archives, though... :/ The latter isn't referenced heavily as most resources seem out of date.

Thanks for your patience.
outadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 01:50 PM   #1232
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by outadoc View Post
Alright, so- false alert, I tried the packages from the snapshots thread and they're working correctly. USBNetworking and Screensavers mods are working.

I don't think anything else is to be blamed here except for my insufficient research, so sorry for that. It's really confusing that the "main" tweak threads point to out of date archives, though... :/ The latter isn't referenced heavily as most resources seem out of date.

Thanks for your patience.
First post of this thread ;
Section: "Release Policy" ;
Repeated here -
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler
It is our policy to use a 'single point of maintenance' model for our released items, with one exception:
  • NiLuJe's snapshots, use: (filter prefix: tools, show threads).
    Users should always check the snapshot thread for the most recent build of our after-market add-ins.
What else needs to be said?
Keeping in mind that people might not read it.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2016, 10:12 PM   #1233
Fanatic
Fanatic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 7th generation
I just found about this jailbreak for kindle, and I think that this is genial and so I want to know: is there a way to jailbreak my kindle paperwhite 7th (5.8.5.0.2)?

it was at 5.8.2.1, I changed to the airplane mode and he started to update to 5.8.5.0.2

Last edited by Fanatic; 11-26-2016 at 10:21 PM.
Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2016, 11:18 PM   #1234
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
The fact that it updated has no bearing on whether it can be jailbroken.

What part of the directions in the first post, wasn't clear?
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:57 AM   #1235
Fanatic
Fanatic began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle paperwhite 7th generation
Sorry, I was a little lost on these pw, pw2, pw3, etc... But after reading a few more times I was able to do it ˆˆ
Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2016, 11:49 AM   #1236
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Does anyone know where I can get customer f/w 5.6.x for KV? I think that's the last one with old higher contrast UI.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 03:00 PM   #1237
hfpop
Addict
hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.hfpop knows how many angels can dance on the head of a pin.

Device: N/A
Do the latest versions of RP and CRP resist a firmware update? Or is it necessary to reinstall them after each firmware update?
hfpop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 11:03 AM   #1238
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Does anyone know where I can get customer f/w 5.6.x for KV? I think that's the last one with old higher contrast UI.
This should be it: update_kindle_voyage_5.6.5.bin

It's a direct link to file on Amazon's server.

Amazon usually just removes the links for older firmwares from the "Fire & Kindle Software Updates" pages but keeps the bin files on servers. So you just need to know the exact "nickname" (like for PW3 it is "http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_FirmwareUpdates_WebDownloads/update_kindle_all_new_paperwhite_X.X.X.bin" ) Amazon is using for the bin filename and just substitute X.X.X.x with desired older build number. Things get more complicated with different generations of the "basic"/cheapest model because they use just "Kindle" for all of them.

And yes. fw 5.6.5 is the last with older UI. My PW3 is still on that firmware

Since you want to downgrade you would first need to flash factory/initial (= factory_KV_5.5.0_initial) firmware from the first post of this topic [read carefully, there is a notice that factory firmware bins are NOT model locked, unlike the ones you download from Amazon page ], and then update to 5.6.5. And then of course use one of the methods for blocking future OTA updates.

Last edited by shamanNS; 12-01-2016 at 11:05 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 03:15 PM   #1239
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
thanks shamanNS. Exactly what I needed. I googled around but everything pointed to the page w/ latest.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2016, 04:43 PM   #1240
Marco77
Connoisseur
Marco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipseMarco77 can illuminate an eclipse

Device: PW3, Clara HD, PB740
Hey guys,

Thanks for the great effort all of you put into this release, everything worked smoothly (except my browser not sending referers at the factory image download step).

@knc1, I think you should add a note in step 8 regarding incompatility of the KPV '.kual' booklet with recent firmwares (due to heavy underlying changes, as you said in the KUAL thread), otoh the azw2 active content still works at the moment for the older devices.
Marco77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #1241
johnpdoe
johnpdoe began at the beginning.

Device: none
Updating PW3W

Hi,

I have a PW3W running 5.8.1 jailbroken, with KUAL for epubs and the screensaver hack.

I am trying to find a complete answer to what do I need to do in order to update the kindle software to the latest version (5.8.7) to no avail.

Do I need to install/update anything before updating? Can I update over the air or do I need to download a bin?

I have read that the jailbreak survives the update, but will the python install, the screensaver hack and the KUAL installation survive the jailbreak too or do I need to reinstall anything?
Also, will I lose anything in the kindle (bookmarks, books...)

Thanks a lot for your help!
johnpdoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 02:37 PM   #1242
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnpdoe View Post
Hi,

I have a PW3W running 5.8.1 jailbroken, with KUAL for epubs and the screensaver hack.

I am trying to find a complete answer to what do I need to do in order to update the kindle software to the latest version (5.8.7) to no avail.

Do I need to install/update anything before updating? Can I update over the air or do I need to download a bin?
I think you can do it either way -- but it you want it NOW, you might neet to download a bin. If you are content to wait till Amazon updates you, you can do it over the air.

Quote:
I have read that the jailbreak survives the update, but will the python install, the screensaver hack and the KUAL installation survive the jailbreak too or do I need to reinstall anything?
All those extra pieces need to be reinstalled after an update. (as I understand it)
Quote:
Also, will I lose anything in the kindle (bookmarks, books...)

Thanks a lot for your help!
I pretty sure everything stays intact. Regular forum answerers, have I erred on my replies?
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2016, 06:36 PM   #1243
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sounds good to me.

The general rule:
Only the code required to maintain the jail break and package installation (for the booklet version of KUAL, the document version does not need protection) is bridged across Amazon updates.

An Amazon update does not effect the contents of visible USB storage.
Translation: KUAL extensions and documents that live ONLY in visible USB storage are safe.

Any of our after-market add-ins which we package in files with the name pattern: update_*.bin MUST be re-installed (using MrPI).
MrPI allows 'batch' installations, put all the update_*.bin packages you want installed into /mrpackages at the same time.
Then trigger MrPI.
Your done.

Note: Sometimes you have to reboot the Kindle to get some of the font package parts to work.

And if I missed something in the above (or Amazon changes something on us) -
The easy to remember rule is:
If it is broke after any Amazon firmware update -
do not panic, just re-install whatever is broke.
Old 12-06-2016, 04:41 PM   #1244
dioib
∂₪≈☼
dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dioib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ιη.σιγ.ηιφι.κα
Thank you so much for the key to the shackles; I can as well confirm that it works smoothly for KOA. Got it yesterday and could only bear a few hours before breaking it free. Thanks again!
dioib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #1245
knc1
Going Viral

You are very welcome.
- - - - -
It works for me, it works for you, the rest of these posts are just noise.