Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-22-2016, 10:59 AM   #1216
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
@ArmitageS: There is no pre-packed/easy bin install margin hack for newer firmware. You would have to do the editing of .jar files yourself. Values that need editing are probably still in the same place. I don't recall anyone writing about doing it on firmware newer than 5.6.5...

Read about it at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1795
I do have some notes (as a 'fair usage quote') on the 5.8.5 version of that .jar file, attached.

But I haven't done a single bit of work to compare the information included with that described in the link included above.

It looks to me, in general, that if we had JBpatch working for 5.8.x it would be fairly easy to make these hardcoded margins read instead from a config file - similar to the FONT_RAMP (un-documented) feature.

PS: The 5.8.* firmware is running hardware assisted Java-8
In case that makes any difference.

Note: It has been 20 years since I wrote anything in Java, so the above is about all I can say about the subject. We need a new mind(s) familar with Java-Today for this work.
Attached Files
File Type: zip ReaderSDK_notes.zip (17.3 KB, 119 views)

Last edited by knc1; 11-22-2016 at 11:18 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 08:21 AM   #1217
Esther52
Esther52 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1
Buenas tarde. Acabo de comprar un Kindle Paperwhite Wifi con nº de serie G090G1 y firmware 5.8.1 de fábrica y quiero hacer el jailbreak. Tengo una pregunta, tengo que seguir todos los pasos desde el paso 1 al 8 ó tengo que saltarme los cuatro primeros? Digo lo de saltar los 4 primeros pasos porque mi kindle nunca se ha actualizado y por lo que leo "Descargue la imagen inicial del firmware de fábrica de su modelo en su computadora desde uno de estos enlaces (sólo IPv4)" y el mío viene con el 5.8.1. Muchas gracias por todo.
Esther52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 09:53 AM   #1218
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You must follow steps #0 through #8

The key to the process is to install the FACTORY firmware, not the version number change.
You are now running the CUSTOMER firmware, not the same as the FACTORY firmware.
We can only jail break the FACTORY firmware.
Old 11-23-2016, 12:58 PM   #1219
Esther52

Muchas gracias de nuevo, Knc1. Lo que no entiendo es lo del archivo factory_PW3_5.7.4_md5 no se para que utilizarlo ni como. He leído que es para validar y para que sepamos que fue correcta la descarga pero no consigo entender que es lo que significa.
Muchas gracias.
Old 11-23-2016, 02:03 PM   #1220
knc1
Going Viral

It is optional to check it.
It is more a troubleshooting tool.
(And I have gotten rid of the servers that people where having trouble with.)

There should be directions earlier in this thread, for at least Windows.
Advert
Old 11-23-2016, 05:53 PM   #1221
outadoc
outadoc began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite 2 / Kindle Touch 2
Hello!

I've recently acquired a KT2 with the hope of jailbreaking it to display some info. For that I'll need SSH and probably the cover hack.

So I jailbroke the device by following the steps closely, and everything was going pretty smooth. However, now, whenever I try to install a hack through KUAL, it succeeds but nothing gets installed. It's weird because some stuff still works, and the dummy test package doesn't fail; it just doesn't show anything installed.

Things that worked: KUAL, Mrpackage, Kterm
Things that didn't: USBnetworking, screensaver hack, probably some other tweaks I can't recall

Dummy log is attached. It would be awesome if someone could help! c:

EDIT: On firmware 5.8.5.0.2, btw.
Attached Files
File Type: txt dummy_testupdate.log.txt (18.7 KB, 132 views)

Last edited by outadoc; 11-23-2016 at 06:04 PM.
outadoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2016, 06:04 PM   #1222
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by outadoc View Post
Hello!

I've recently acquired a KT2 with the hope of jailbreaking it to display some info. For that I'll need SSH and probably the cover hack.

So I jailbroke the device by following the steps closely, and everything was going pretty smooth. However, now, whenever I try to install a hack through KUAL, it succeeds but nothing gets installed. It's weird because some stuff still works, and the dummy test package doesn't fail; it just doesn't show anything installed.

Things that worked: KUAL, Mrpackage, Kterm
Things that didn't: USBnetworking, screensaver hack, probably some other tweaks I can't recall

Dummy log is attached. It would be awesome if someone could help! c:
The only thing consistent with the things that installed vs things that did not install is that you are not using MrPI to install things in update_*.bin format named packages.

Readed step #8 - including the spoiler -
You **MUST** use MrPI to install our update_*.bin format packages.
Also, those packages are 'model locked' - you must be getting the most recent versions from NiLuJe's 'snapshot' thread (first post).
Old 11-23-2016, 06:20 PM   #1223
outadoc

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
The only thing consistent with the things that installed vs things that did not install is that you are not using MrPI to install things in update_*.bin format named packages.

Readed step #8 - including the spoiler -
You **MUST** use MrPI to install our update_*.bin format packages.
That's what I've been doing, so this is weird.

Quote:
Also, those packages are 'model locked' - you must be getting the most recent versions from NiLuJe's 'snapshot' thread (first post).
I'll have a look at that, thanks!
I might just restart from scratch if I don't succeed, I must have done something wrong somewhere.
Old 11-23-2016, 08:01 PM   #1224
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
That's what I've been doing, so this is weird.

I'll have a look at that, thanks!
I might just restart from scratch if I don't succeed, I must have done something wrong somewhere.
No - just check the mrpi log for why it is destroying rather than installing the packages -
It will probably be saying "Model mismatch" or something similar.
Old 11-24-2016, 08:18 AM   #1225
Esther52

Despues de mucho leer en este hilo, lo encontré. Muchas gracias, Knc1.
Old 11-24-2016, 09:43 AM   #1226
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther52 View Post
Despues de mucho leer en este hilo, lo encontré. Muchas gracias, Knc1.
Thank you.
Sorry I could not find the link for you.
Old 11-24-2016, 04:31 PM   #1227
outadoc

Quote:
No - just check the mrpi log for why it is destroying rather than installing the packages -
It will probably be saying "Model mismatch" or something similar.
Code:
Package 'Update_usbnet_0.21.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.bin' (usbnet 0.21.N I WARIO+) is not targeting your device [DD vs. D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F 61 C6 13 54 53 2A 52 0G1 0G7 0G6 0G2 0G5 0G4 0KB 0KC 0GC 0GD 0GU 0K9 0KA], skipping . . . :(
Welp, that was it. Thanks!

EDIT: doesn't really tell me which version I should be using but I'll probably figure that out
EDIT 2: is it safe to install Kindle Basic packages on a Kindle Basic (Australia)? They look similar, yet nothing seems compatible with it? I could just hack into mrpi and bypass the check.

Last edited by outadoc; 11-24-2016 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2016, 05:36 PM   #1228
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Code:
Package 'Update_usbnet_0.21.N_install_pw2_kt2_kv_pw3_koa_kt3.bin' (usbnet 0.21.N I WARIO+) is not targeting your device [DD vs. D4 5A D5 D6 D7 D8 F2 17 60 62 5F 61 C6 13 54 53 2A 52 0G1 0G7 0G6 0G2 0G5 0G4 0KB 0KC 0GC 0GD 0GU 0K9 0KA], skipping . . . :(
Welp, that was it. Thanks!

EDIT: doesn't really tell me which version I should be using but I'll probably figure that out
EDIT 2: is it safe to install Kindle Basic packages on a Kindle Basic (Australia)? They look similar, yet nothing seems compatible with it? I could just hack into mrpi and bypass the check.
The name claims kt3 - -
Let me have the first six characters of your serial number please.

No.
The 'model locking' is there for a very good reason, do not try to defeat it.
(Unless your fond of installing and using the serial port for the operator's console.)

Last edited by knc1; 11-24-2016 at 05:45 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 02:21 AM   #1229
outadoc

Quote:
The name claims kt3 - -
Let me have the first six characters of your serial number please.
The wiki claims "KT2, BASIC".
Serial num:
Code:
90DD 0703
Old 11-25-2016, 07:37 AM   #1230
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
The wiki claims "KT2, BASIC".
Serial num:
Code:
90DD 0703
Also note that the serial number table says that support was added only in the most recent version of KindleTool.

Which also means support is only in the most recent re-build of the packages in the snapshot thread.
That is the only place on this site you will find packages for that model.

Edit:
I checked the repository ( https://github.com/NiLuJe/KindleTool ) -
Your model is listed as one of the packager options:
-d, --device kt2a Kindle Basic (2014) Australia
And your model ID (0xDD) is in the supported model enumeration.
There might still be a code error or a usage error in generating the snapshot packages.

This time - We really, really, must be sure there isn't something wrong at your end before digging into something as basic to these after-market add-in packages as KindleTool while the author is away.

Take notes - I need every detail - start with Name/Version of OS you are doing this work on - what download tool - what archive tool - let us see the full name of the package you are downloading and un-archiving - etc - etc - etc.
Everything!

Amazon did not build that one e-reader you have in your hands differently although you may be only the second person that owns one in your country.

Last edited by knc1; 11-25-2016 at 08:51 AM.