Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-17-2016, 10:05 AM   #1201
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
You missed Step #8.a (and most likely, Step #8.b also).
There is no substitute for Step #8.a
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 02:05 PM   #1202
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Register it, then on your account page, under manage devices, select remove Special Offers.
That may be free or it may be a small fee.
If not shown on the device's page, contact customer service.
I'm back
It is done. S.O. is removed.

What exactly do I have to follow now?
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-19-2016, 03:04 PM   #1203
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakama View Post
I'm back
It is done. S.O. is removed.

What exactly do I have to follow now?
Look at the first 6 of your serial number. If it matches those listed in the first post of this thread.
Read and follow all the steps in the first post.
If the serial number does not match, come back here and we will give you the proper thread.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:30 PM   #1204
ranchu09
ranchu09 began at the beginning.

Device: kpw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Yes, it will install and BRICK your kindle if it is a (serial number based) version mismatch. No the kindles do NOT reject these factory updates.

That is a side effect of how they work and what allows us to do this in the first place. You must take care -- others have bricked their kindles trying the wrong version, which is WHY it took so long for this to get released to the general public. My post started an avalanche of activity when I successfully used it on my PW2, quickly confirmed by other devs, and which resulted in this new way to jaibreak FINALLY being released. A ton of work UP FRONT, and a flurry of activity at the end. And our "Fourth of July" (American Independence Day) holiday weekend kept us going with a tight deadline. And here we are with a brand new easy-to-use set of tools.

Thanks everybody (especially knc1 and anybody else who put in the long hours up front), letting us enjoy these last few days getting this ready to release. This weekend was just the gravy on top of this "Amazon-Independence Day" holiday feast.
Excuse me, I do the wrong verision(KT) to my kpw3, so it's my mistake to make it bricked. Have any method to get my kpw3 heathy again? or it should be put in the trash can? That would be so bad. T^T
ranchu09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2016, 07:34 PM   #1205
ranchu09

Excuse me, I installed the wrong version(KT) to my kpw3 so it was bricked. Have any method to make it normal again? It' my fault not to watch out the version carefully.
Advert
Old 11-20-2016, 07:56 AM   #1206
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranchu09 View Post
Excuse me, I installed the wrong version(KT) to my kpw3 so it was bricked. Have any method to make it normal again? It' my fault not to watch out the version carefully.
The only way known to work for certain is to access the device over the serial port and install the correct firmware.

Of course, the above depends on what you mean by 'bricked'.
Some of the less drastic ways might work, depending on what you mean by 'bricked'.

If you need a better answer, describe in detail the behavior of the device you claim is 'bricked'.
Start that description with the first six characters of the device's serial number (it is shown on the box, it is shown on your Amazon account page).
Old 11-20-2016, 10:39 AM   #1207
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Some have asked if the OTA blocker directory still worked on 8th generation devices running 5.8.5 -
Note: This status can vary for each and every firmware build.

It does, but not in the expected way.
The Kindle's system removes the directory entry, and creates a file with the OTA blocker name.

But in addition, you get a pop-up panel when an update is available and has been downloaded:

The message is (I paraphrase here):
"Not enough storage space to install the update."
When there is 2.4GB available.

The message should read:
"Mobileread user has OTA updates blocked."

After you acknowledge the notice, the system then deletes the *.partial file, leaving you without either the directory or filename.

So the next time it tries to download an update, it will succeed.

tl;dr:
If you ever get a popup panel telling you there is not enough space to install the update.
IMMEDIATELY go to 'airplane' mode after acknowledging the pop-up panel.
Then put your OTA blocker directory back and stay in airplane mode until we figure out how to deal with this new behavior.
There is a one word answer to this, using the shotgun approach, and that word is "cron".

I am not sure what is up with that behavior, but it sure is convenient...
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2016, 11:53 AM   #1208
knc1
Going Viral

Unmentioned in my original post -
The process also sets a re-try time delay (maybe 9 hours, I wasn't watching closely enough).

So I think one solution would be to JBpatch the re-try time delay constant - -
To something like 100 years or so.

= = = = =

Anyway -

This is getting hard to keep track of -
What it would probably take is a Wiki table, for firmware "xyz" use method "abc".

Note: This was on a KT3 running 5.8.5 firmware.
I think my retry delay should have timed out now, I'll try another idea or two and see if Amazon turns my KT3 into trash.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:14 PM   #1209
ranchu09

Quote:
The only way known to work for certain is to access the device over the serial port and install the correct firmware.

Of course, the above depends on what you mean by 'bricked'.
Some of the less drastic ways might work, depending on what you mean by 'bricked'.

If you need a better answer, describe in detail the behavior of the device you claim is 'bricked'.
Start that description with the first six characters of the device's serial number (it is shown on the box, it is shown on your Amazon account page).
kindle model:G090 G1
I downgraded my kindle with the wrong version bin file(KT version) while my kindle is kpw3(G090 G1). After that, the kindle can be opened, it shows "Please wait, Kinlde is booting" all the time. It can be read by the computer so I can use "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" method to make it right.
Old 11-20-2016, 12:50 PM   #1210
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
kindle model:G090 G1
I downgraded my kindle with the wrong version bin file(KT version) while my kindle is kpw3(G090 G1). After that, the kindle can be opened, it shows "Please wait, Kinlde is booting" all the time. It can be read by the computer so I can use "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" method to make it right.
No you can not.
"DO_FACTORY_RESTORE"
does not do what you think it does, this isn't an OS that keeps a copy of the prior firmware on the device.

Since you can access the USB storage area -
Just put the correct factory_initial update package on the device and repeat the update process.
Old 11-21-2016, 07:53 AM   #1211
ranchu09

Quote:
No you can not.
"DO_FACTORY_RESTORE"
does not do what you think it does, this isn't an OS that keeps a copy of the prior firmware on the device.

Since you can access the USB storage area -
Just put the correct factory_initial update package on the device and repeat the update process.
But my situation is that I can not access the USB storage via computer to put the correct bin file into the device.
Old 11-21-2016, 08:14 AM   #1212
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
But my situation is that I can not access the USB storage via computer to put the correct bin file into the device.
Then how are you going to put the "DO_FACTORY_RESTORE" file name in USB storage?
Old 11-21-2016, 03:38 PM   #1213
ArmitageS
ArmitageS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Hi all, bit of guidance required please...I have just purchased a PW (PW3?) from amazon UK and wondered if this jailbreak allows you to be able to make the margins smaller? I have an earlier PW that is on 5.4.3.2, it never goes online, it is JB and the margins are now really small as I hate the wasted space with the margins it ships with and hoping I can do the same with the new version, fingers crossed.

Last edited by ArmitageS; 11-21-2016 at 04:18 PM.
ArmitageS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 09:37 AM   #1214
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
@ArmitageS: There is no pre-packed/easy bin install margin hack for newer firmware. You would have to do the editing of .jar files yourself. Values that need editing are probably still in the same place. I don't recall anyone writing about doing it on firmware newer than 5.6.5...

Read about it at: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...postcount=1795

Last edited by shamanNS; 11-22-2016 at 09:46 AM.
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2016, 10:46 AM   #1215
ArmitageS
ArmitageS began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
@shamanNS Aww now that is disappointing, everything else with the kindle I am ok with but cannot bear the wide margins, maybe I need to be looking at a KOBO then...thanks for your info.
ArmitageS is offline   Reply With Quote