Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
geek_girl
geek_girl began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
PB360 Ivory--less contrast than Black?

Hi,

I currently have a Cybook Gen3, and am thinking about getting a PB360. The ivory color looks so pretty in the photos, but I'm concerned that it will appear to have less contrast than the black one, especially since I'm used to the black bezel on the Cybook. Any opinions from those who own the device?
geek_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Just a personal opinion of course...

I own an ivory PB360 and you're right - it's so-o-o pretty, especially the elegant swirly embossing on the cover - very feminine. I fell in love with it as soon as I opened the box.

I think you'll find the contrast is excellent whichever you buy. It's possible that there's an optical illusion which makes the contrast appear even better on the black one but I think there's another optical illusion that makes a pale grey screen surrounded by a dark surround appear "smaller" than a pale grey screen surrounded by a light surround. That's also why I chose a silver PRS505.

It may be another optical illusion but the contrast on my PB360 seems better than my PRS505.

Last edited by jackie_w; 08-28-2010 at 05:00 AM.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2010, 08:33 PM   #3
Kameli
Connoisseur
Kameli began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought black since I was afraid white would smudge easily. Any comments on this from owners of white?
Kameli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:20 PM   #4
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
i have both and i prefer to read the ivory one. for me the black frame doesnt work.

Last edited by Dulin's Books; 08-28-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 12:45 AM   #5
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
I have both and I think the contrast is less on the white one. I have compared screens side by side and see a marked difference. What I didn't do was cut out a piece of cardboard to hide the bezel and see if this is an actual screen difference or subjective due to the bezel.

I loaned my black 360 to my Dad who lost it (someone in this town is now enjoying my beloved reader with almost 2000 books loaded on it...) so can't compare now. I just bought a used black 360 from another member, so I'll see if I still think there is a contrast difference. I bought the ivory unit used as well, so wonder if there could be a problem with the screen. I noticed the decreased contrast almost immediately.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2010, 06:30 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The screens are identical, and even the black PB360 has a white surround to the screen. Just go with whichever one you prefer. I bought the black because the white seemed a bit "girly", but if you are a girl that may of course not be an issue for you .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Almiel
regrets buying PocketBook
Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Almiel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CoolReader (Android), Pocketbook 360 Ivory
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameli View Post
I bought black since I was afraid white would smudge easily. Any comments on this from owners of white?
Do you mean as in show fingerprints? Mine doesn't. Looks beautiful! Also, it's not really white, it's more of a pearl.
Almiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 11:40 AM   #8
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I have a white PB360. It's definitively girly. I'm a man and it took about a week to overcome the slight embarrassment every time I took the PB out to read in the bus.

I'd be very interested in what Marcy reports after she (he?) gets the used black one.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote