Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 07-31-2009, 09:28 AM   #1
vdevan
vdevan began at the beginning.

Device: BEBook
Contribution and bug-fixes

Being new to Linux environment (from a long standing Window background), I would like to start helping the developing and contributing to OI. I have downloaded and using the OI which I like it - the best one yet.

Few things that should be looked into:
GSUB of open type fonts which I have already raised ticket and requested to look into.

XPDF viewer. Latest LBOOK Beta release has a very good PDF viewer. I think it is the best so far for the E-Book readers. Can we port this into OI?

The text parser, pdf viewer and other parser / viewer (I guess you are using fbreader for this) do not have "goto page" option. Without this, it is very difficult to jump to a page, especially if you are reading a technical book and want to skip few chapters. (Is it available and am I missing it)

I have developed few fonts, which I can provide for usage - most of it are Indian, though. I have already provided to linux communities under GNU

Finally I can help and contribute - even fix few things. I am running Ubuntu Linux in Sun Virtual Box under XP. I can extract make changes and pack back Hanlin original V3updatebin file based on the tool mk3vudpate (and some scripts I wrote myself).

However I am unable to extract the file system from OI's V3bin file. Actually I can extract the file systems but unable to mount them. Maybe, if you can help me out, then I can start working on a few things myself before start real contribution.
Can you help me here please.

Thanks
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevan View Post
Being new to Linux environment (from a long standing Window background), I would like to start helping the developing and contributing to OI. I have downloaded and using the OI which I like it - the best one yet.
Thanks!

Quote:
Few things that should be looked into:
GSUB of open type fonts which I have already raised ticket and requested to look into.
The solution would be to use pango - text rendering library. However, FBReader in OI doesn't use pango due to speed issues while rendering simple scripts. Someone should try to benchmark pango and improve rendering speed.

Quote:
XPDF viewer. Latest LBOOK Beta release has a very good PDF viewer. I think it is the best so far for the E-Book readers. Can we port this into OI?
It is based on closed-source and proprietary adobe sdk.
In OI you could use poppler or muPDF libraries to render pdf files. It is also possible to implement "text reflow" feature.

Quote:
The text parser, pdf viewer and other parser / viewer (I guess you are using fbreader for this) do not have "goto page" option. Without this, it is very difficult to jump to a page, especially if you are reading a technical book and want to skip few chapters. (Is it available and am I missing it)
According to the User Guide, pressing 2 in FBReader will open "goto page" dialog.

Quote:
However I am unable to extract the file system from OI's V3bin file. Actually I can extract the file systems but unable to mount them. Maybe, if you can help me out, then I can start working on a few things myself before start real contribution.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/From0To60In5Seconds
Advert
Old 08-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunohod View Post
According to the User Guide, pressing 2 in FBReader will open "goto page" dialog.
Confirmed. Pressing "2" in FBReader does indeed allow you to "goto" your desired page.
Old 08-02-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
vdevan

Thanks for quick reply. Greatly appreciated.
However I do have a problem in getting the OI package.
Here is the listing:
============================
vasu@vasu-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get install oi-build-firmware
[sudo] password for vasu:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package oi-build-firmware
=====================

Can you help me please
Old 08-02-2009, 01:51 AM   #5
vdevan

Hi:
ignore the previous screen result. This is what I get when I try to get files for oi-build-firmware. Please note that I have followed all the steps until getting the oi-build-firmware. Screen shots below:

======================================
build@vasu-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get install oi-build-firmware
Building dependency tree

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Vasu.
Advert
Old 08-02-2009, 04:05 AM   #6
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Quote:
Hi:
ignore the previous screen result. This is what I get when I try to get files for oi-build-firmware. Please note that I have followed all the steps until getting the oi-build-firmware. Screen shots below:

======================================
build@vasu-Linux:~$ sudo apt-get install oi-build-firmware
Building dependency tree

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

Vasu.

show me your /etc/apt/sources.list (in chroot)
Old 08-02-2009, 08:25 AM   #7
vdevan

Hi Lunhod:
This is what I have in /etc/apt/sources.list
=========================
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://ftp.iplinux.org/iplinux/ asimov host/tools host/cross
=========================

thanks for your quick reply
Old 08-02-2009, 08:35 AM   #8
vdevan

Hi Lunohod:
After your mail I checked and added the following line and it looks like this now:
===============
deb http://ftp.de.debian.org/debian/ lenny main
deb http://ftp.iplinux.org/iplinux/ asimov host/tools host/cross
deb http://openinkpot.org/pub/oi/ asimov host/tools host/cross
===============

but still not go. I get the following message:
=============
build@vasu-Linux:/$ sudo apt-get install oi-build-firmware
Building dependency tree
build@vasu-Linux:/$
==============================
Old 08-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #9
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install oi-build-firmware
Old 08-03-2009, 02:20 AM   #10
vdevan

Hi Lunohod:
Again thanks for your quick reply. My apologies if I am bugging you too much. It is just that I am new to Linux env. and still in the learning curve.
I got the stuff working. I also got Eclipse and Arm processor compiler. Got the sources from Git as well.
Do I take it that whatever in rootfs-i386 (under IPlinux) will be compiled for V3update.bin? If so, are these not i386 files - while we may need arm9dtmi files. Am I missing something again?
Sorry I had to keep asking you this, but the document is little bit insufficient for me to grasp and I do want to understand "under the hood" before I blindly click away.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:43 AM   #11
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

When you run build-fw the /rootfs-armel will be created and all needed packages will be installed inside.

You don't need to build and flash the FW each time you want test something. Just copy your binary to the V3 and run it from command line. Don't forget to set DISPLAY variable to :0 .
Old 08-03-2009, 06:32 AM   #12
vdevan

Hi Lunohod:
By V3 do you mean directory where the build is or the EReader? If it is the EReader, how do I set the DISPLAY variable?
Also when I ran the Build-FW and flashed into my eReader, I get only the GM (Global Menu) screen. There is no other apps installed. I ran all the commands as provided in
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/From0To60In5Seconds
Not sure where I am making mistake. Also all the packages I got as source were only for GM. Not sure again on where I would have MadShelf package, and how to install / build in the firmware!
Another thing that is bugging me is Build-FW goes and collects information from web all the time. I want to do this off line and since rootfs-armel is created (I can see it) can I run the Build-FW offline?
If so what command do I use?
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Vasu
Old 08-03-2009, 07:14 AM   #13
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

It would be nice if you could use irc and join #openinkpot channel. It's hard to explain everything here.

Choose "Library" in the GM and it will run Madshelf. Choose any book then and it will be opened in FBReader.

build-fw fetches all prebuilt packages from web, it doesn't use any source trees from your chroot.

For example, if you are going to change something in FBReader, you should fetch the sources: "git clone git://git.openinkpot.org/fbreader.git", then "cd fbreader", make any changes you want and build it with "dpkg-buildpackage -aarmel". You have to install all needed armel libraries before, just run "dpkg-checkbuilddeps --arch=armel" in fbreader directory and it will show you the package names. Install them: "sudo apt-get install <libraries-list>".

Then you can copy the binary to the reader device: "scp fbreader/FBReader root@192.168.111.1:", the password is "zxc".
Then ssh to the device: "ssh root@192.168.111.1" and run your new binary: "DISPLAY=:0 ./FBReader".
Old 08-03-2009, 07:55 AM   #14
vdevan

Lunohod:
I really appreciate your quick and patient reply. First thing I am going to do is to renew my account with IRC and will chat on this. I have no issues in SCP or SSH. In fact I already do this. I use it upload fonts into OI. I have already downloaded all packages for GM.There are a couple of things that I would be needing your advise:
1. How do I compile to V3update.bin since I have the rootfs-armel directory without having to revisit the web for updates. Can the Build-FW just use the source directory as parameter, so it should not have to fetch files everytime? mk3update seems to do this without any issue for Jinke & its clones firmware.
2. If I do make a change and want to compile to a V3update.bin, what is the procedure. Should I have to load that in git? Would it not impact existing file there?

Thanks
Vasu
Old 08-03-2009, 08:10 AM   #15
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer

Quote:
1. How do I compile to V3update.bin since I have the rootfs-armel directory without having to revisit the web for updates.
Manually. You have to look how it is done in build-fw.

Another way is to setup a local proxy that will store all downloaded packages.
http://iplinux.org/wiki/PackageCaching

Quote:
Can the Build-FW just use the source directory as parameter, so it should not have to fetch files everytime? mk3update seems to do this without any issue for Jinke & its clones firmware.
No. We usually do not build FW too often. We build single packages and test them on the device. The FW is only being built for a new snapshot.

mk3update is different, it can only pack the existing rootfs and kernel to the V3update.bin file.

Quote:
2. If I do make a change and want to compile to a V3update.bin, what is the procedure. Should I have to load that in git? Would it not impact existing file there?
Standard way is to build a deb package or a single binary, copy them to the device and test.
If the changes are OK, you can send them to the package maintainer and he will merge them into the corresponding git repo.