Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-05-2013, 06:38 PM   #1
Duke
Banned
Duke began at the beginning.

Device: None/looking
Best screen?

Hello fellow bookworms,

I have decided to get myself an e-reader for reading while commuting. I don't know much about e-readers so my question is: which touch screen e-reader with a built-in light has the best screen (best as in quality/contrast/PPI etc.)? Kindle Paperwhite or Kobo Glo? Maybe others?

Last edited by Duke; 01-05-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 AM   #2
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
I assume the PaperWhite and Glo use identical panels, as do any other 1024x758 reader (the odd rez is a giveaway)
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Exactly. All the screens are made by the same company (eInk).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
Duke
Banned
Duke began at the beginning.

Device: None/looking
Ok, thanks!

What about "capacitive touch" (Kindle) vs "infrared touch" (Kobo)? I read something about the Kindle being more responsive and the bezel being thicker/raised on the Kobo?
Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:25 PM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I have a Kindle Touch, which has an infrared touch screen, and a Kindle Paperwhite, which has a capacitive touch screen. Both are equally responsive. I can't comment on the Kobo, never having used one, but I would highly recommend the Kindle.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2013, 07:02 AM   #6
stewacide
Groupie
stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stewacide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O Ed. 2, Glo HD, Glo, Touch
Theoretically the capacitive touch should be more responsive but the screen should also be more reflective and slightly less sharp, but in practice the difference isn't that great either way. The Paperwhite is probably slightly more responsive to touch and the Glo has a slightly clearer/less reflective screen (because there's one fewer layer), but both are fine on both accounts.

The biggest difference IMO is that IR works with gloves on while capacitive does not, unless you have those special gloves designed for touch screens. Something to think about if you read outside. Also the Paperwhite has a two-point touch system while the Kobo is only one-point, so you can do pinch-to-zoom on the Paperwhite with PDFs or whatever, although eInk is laggy enough still that this could be a good or bad thing depending on what you're doing. I don't think this is a hardware limitation with IR though, since some of the Sony IR readers apparently had multitouch, so perhaps Kobo will address it with a firmware update.

Last edited by stewacide; 01-07-2013 at 07:05 AM.
stewacide is offline   Reply With Quote