Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-07-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
Am I the only one looking for these specific requirements?

Hello, I'm looking for some specific features on an ereader, but haven't had any luck finding one to meet them.

I just want to read; I don't want to take notes; I don't want it to light up like a lamp; I don't want it to connect to wifi (I live in remote Alaska, it's a waste of battery power, even when "off"); I don't want it to read PDFs; and, I don't want to have to create an account.

I have a Nook Simple Touch & Kindle DX that both have abysmal power management, even with the wifi set to "off;" my wife's Sony Pocket Reader (which is about dead from being used) outlasts both those offerings in power by many weeks, and her ereader is several years old, while the Nook is 1 year old and the Kindle DX is 9 or 10 months old.

Unfortunately, I can't find another Sony Pocket Reader 300, except online and shipping in the middle of winter to Alaska sometimes ruins electronic devices. So, my parents are heading down to the States in a month and I was going to have them get a reader for me that fit my Wish List.

Any suggestions?
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:42 PM   #2
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
I have a Nook Simple Touch & Kindle DX that both have abysmal power management, even with the wifi set to "off;"
I'm surprised, my nook touch used to last me 4 weeks with 1.5 to 2 hours of daily reading, and my nook glow manages 2.5 to 3 weeks with the same reading, half of it with the light on. Did you by any chance skip registration on your nook? That's known to affect battery life drastically.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:49 PM   #3
spideyak
spideyak is on a distinguished road

Device: PocketBook 301+, Sony PRS-300
I may have skipped the registration =(... ; I'll check. Just another reason to not desire the NEED to register.

Thank you for such a quick response.
spideyak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:50 PM   #4
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by spideyak View Post
I may have skipped the registration =(... ; I'll check. Just another reason to not desire the NEED to register.

Thank you for such a quick response.
If you did, I would suggest you master clear your device and register it. You don't have to use valid credentials (name, email address), so there's really no reason to skip it.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:31 PM   #5
Shack70
Guru
Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shack70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 10", Honor 8 Android Phone
I have a regular Kindle 3G (Kindle Keyboard) and with the wifi off it last for weeks of reading.
Shack70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
spideyak, I suggest that you consider two very inexpensive alternatives.

The Ectaco jetBook Lite is now $56.95 at newegg.com.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...9SIA1CU0CT9361

The jetBook Lite is my favorite because I love the jet black text of the screen, and because it uses four (rechargeable if you like) AA flashlight batteries. Buy two sets of rechargeable batteries, and you never need to wait when the batteries run down.

Geeks.com is now offering the Aluratek Libre Pro for only $29.99. The Libre Pro uses the same screen as the jetBook Lite.
http://www.geeks.com/details.asp?invtid=AEBK01FS

Both the jetBook Lite and the Libre Pro read many different formats including Adobe ADE DRM'd ePub as well as non-DRM'd mobi/prc.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 05:24 AM   #7
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I'm surprised, my nook touch used to last me 4 weeks with 1.5 to 2 hours of daily reading, and my nook glow manages 2.5 to 3 weeks with the same reading, half of it with the light on. Did you by any chance skip registration on your nook? That's known to affect battery life drastically.
I'm a bit surprised as well. My DXG lasts me two weeks or so at 2 - 3 hours of use a day.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:46 AM   #8
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
GA Russell's suggestions are good, also consider another Sony. The T1 or T2, while they do have wifi, you don't ever have to use it, nor do you ever have to register them with Sony. Battery life is good, they can hold thousands of books, and series management is a breeze if you use Calibre and add some metadata plugins.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #9
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
Maybe the pocketbook Touch? http://www.pocketbook-int.com/us/pro...cketbook-touch
owly is offline   Reply With Quote