Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-27-2008, 01:32 PM   #1
AndiR
Rather interested
AndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enoughAndiR will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle, Sony Ereader, Ipad & iPhone
NYPL for non US people

Hi All,

I was wondering if anybody that is non united states based had joined NYPL with a view of downloading ebooks?

If so how did you do it?

They seem to have a pretty big epub collection :-)

Thanks, AndiR
AndiR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
that is an excellent question, i'd be interested in the answer too.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 04:12 PM   #3
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: iPad, MotoXStyle, OnePlusOne
Me Too, And it does bring to the mind the question of whether its even possible?

we know that they allow non NY residents to pay a fee ($100) and register, but is it US residents only, or is it available to anyone anywhere in the world.

My Suspicion is thats its going be US only, like a lot of Media stuff.
bbusybookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:31 PM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
I suggest that someone just try it and report back. I went to the Washington, D.C. public library collection which stated that there was a fee for nonresidents to check out books. But when I went through the process, I was never asked to pay anything and now have borrowing privileges there and an Adobe DE PDF on my Sony Reader. So what would happen if someone outside the U.S. did that? I don't know.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 04:52 PM   #5
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie
bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'bbusybookworm knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
I suggest that someone just try it and report back. I went to the Washington, D.C. public library collection which stated that there was a fee for nonresidents to check out books. But when I went through the process, I was never asked to pay anything and now have borrowing privileges there and an Adobe DE PDF on my Sony Reader. So what would happen if someone outside the U.S. did that? I don't know.
I checked it out, and they did say that hey require some proof of ID and address, so while it may work for residents of other states in the US, it does't look like it will work for non residents.

I'm really curious as I have a sister in NJ, but unfortunately it appears that no library in her area offers e-books, so I was looking at out of state options.
Advert
Old 09-27-2008, 06:25 PM   #6
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

Maybe here you can find an answer: http://search.overdrive.com

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:20 PM   #7
bbusybookworm
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDHarriman View Post
Hi

Maybe here you can find an answer: http://search.overdrive.com

Best regards,
I did and while there is one in the Cherry Tree Area & in Burlington, She Live in Edison, and the local library's don't support e-books, as far as I've been able to see. (They do audio books, but no iPod Support)

Also The choice of the books she reads (Addicted to Romance novels) are pretty limited in both those library's e-book collections.
Old 09-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #8
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Regarding the NYPL...just e-mail them and ask. I'm a US resident, but not from New York. Before I joined NYPL, I e-mailed them with a few questions. They were very helpful and got back to me quickly.

Then I mailed them a check for $100 and a copy of my driver's license. I got my NYPL card back in the mail in about a week and a half.

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote