Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-17-2010, 09:38 PM   #16
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
(whoops, wrong thread, sorry folks )
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:46 PM   #17
Steven Lake
Sci-Fi Author
Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre)
Jaxx: Very well said! Bravo! Especially the editing part. If there's one thing I hate is badly edited books. It's why I'm so anal about getting every last jot and tittle in my books perfect. Do I succeed? Nope. But I certainly give it my best try, which is more than I can say for some indie authors. (I'm not pointing fingers at any one person, I'm just stating a fact that there are some really bad indie authors out there who make the indie scene look bad)

MrPLD: <pope voice> You are forgiven, my child. lol.
Steven Lake is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 10:15 PM   #18
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Some authors get all uptight about other people messing with their perfect prose. It's not a matter of them saying Starbuck is better as a female than a male character. It's a matter of them saying you missed this, that, and the other. Oh, and by the way, you can tighten this up, expand on this, whatever.

The other important thing is fact check, fact check, fact check. Stupid mistakes happen. In my weird western, I incorrectly referred to the hero's mare as a male. Several times. If your characters happen to use weapons, whatever they may be, make sure you get your phrasing straight. Because there's plenty of people out there that know more than you. And nothing will take the wind out of your sails more than when your ninja assassin uses an english broadsword, and you get caught. Or John became Jim who later became Jeff. Or your main character has chameleon eyes that change from blue to brown. Unless, you want your character to have chameleon eyes.

Those are things an editor is paid to do. And they do it well. You can get by on beta readers and stuff, but it never hurts to get a few more eyes, even if you sold your firstborn for one.

The other thing is check out getting a professional cover. Have someone double check your copy, find a couple of people you respect and see if they'll blurb.

i just found some software today "book cover pro" that I may download the trial version of and play with. Looks great for making decent covers for print media..

Last edited by jaxx6166; 10-17-2010 at 10:18 PM.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:20 PM   #19
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
I just checked, there's a wealth of resources for authors to market their works. Indie Reader Selections, Self Publishing Review, and AuthorDen to name just a few.
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #20
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Thanks to your encouragement, I've decided to add tips to my blog. http://fantasyauthor.blogspot.com/
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
marketing, sales, uploading