Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 09-27-2013, 02:01 PM   #1
Inspirement
Inspirement began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone (Galaxy SIII)
Upload Kindle or Nook books to Google Play?

Hi there. First post. Don't know if it's really in the right section but I hope it's okay here. Also, It's somewhat long, but you can skip to my question if you want

Even thought I've used my phone to read free books for a year or two using Aldiko I've been hesitant toward using services like Amazon's Kindle or Barnes & Noble's Nook ebook platforms because I don't want to feel like I'm locked down to a specific service, but then Google released Play Books in my country and it was exactly what I've waited for! Because now I can use one service to both read the free ebooks I've downloaded (or made for myself for that matter) as well buy books from a large library of ebooks.

My only problem is that, even though the vast majority of the books I'm interested in are available on Google Play, there is one series I desperately want to buy for my collection, but it's only available in Spanish, I think. The books in question are the Percy Jackson, Kane Chronicles and Heroes of Olympus series of books by Rick Riordan.

Now my question is, can I somehow buy the books from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or maybe some other platform and then upload them to my Google Play library?

I know Kindle would require conversion and apparently Nook has some kind of copy protection, but I wondered if it was possible somehow, and if it is, what method would be the easiest.

(I already have a Kindle account, since I tried to use them before, but their document upload feature was a serious disappointment.)

Thanks for taking the time reading and Thanks for any kind of answer.
Inspirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Might I suggest simply using the Kindle for Android app?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 07:27 PM   #3
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inspirement View Post
[I]Now my question is, can I somehow buy the books from Amazon, Barnes & Noble, or maybe some other platform and then upload them to my Google Play library?

I know Kindle would require conversion and apparently Nook has some kind of copy protection, but I wondered if it was possible somehow, and if it is, what method would be the easiest.
All the big players use DRM for a large portion of their books. Unless you're willing to learn how to remove DRM (not really difficult), and you're going to be buying from multiple vendors, the easiest route would to use the apps that each vendor provides (Nook for Android, Kindle for Android, Google Books). Both the Nook app and the Kindle app are fairly simple to add non-DRM sideloaded books (Google Books probably does too, but I haven't dug deep enough to find where to load books).

I've used most of the big after market readers, but I just seem to end up back with Nook for epub and Kindle for mobi/azw3.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 04:42 AM   #4
Inspirement
Inspirement began at the beginning.

Device: Android phone (Galaxy SIII)
Since I like to keep all my things in one place I'd rather be able to put it all on google books if possible, but if that's not possible, I guess the apps would be the next best thing. I'll look into it a bit more today and see what I can come up with.
Inspirement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:08 AM   #5
avid01
Addict
avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avid01 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4
Lifehacker recently ran an article

http://lifehacker.com/5875516/the-be...er-for-android

Winner: Google Play Books

So I wanted to give it a shot for a DRM-free EPUB (Aldiko free also does not support annotations)

- I wan not able to figure out where it stores the books, so I can add mine to that directory. Any tips?

- I uploaded the book to file sharing. Opened the link in browser and it opened the book in browser instead of offering me an Ebook reader app. Strange.
avid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-23-2014, 09:51 AM   #6
zohar101
zohar101 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Edit: Noticed the thread was a necro...

Last edited by zohar101; 06-23-2014 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Just noticed it's a necro
zohar101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2014, 02:46 PM   #7
Amogh Harish
Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Amogh Harish could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: MacBook Air, iPad Mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Moto G
Quote:
Originally Posted by avid01 View Post
Lifehacker recently ran an article

http://lifehacker.com/5875516/the-be...er-for-android

Winner: Google Play Books

So I wanted to give it a shot for a DRM-free EPUB (Aldiko free also does not support annotations)

- I wan not able to figure out where it stores the books, so I can add mine to that directory. Any tips?

- I uploaded the book to file sharing. Opened the link in browser and it opened the book in browser instead of offering me an Ebook reader app. Strange.

Google works in weird ways.

In the Play Books app, you have to pull the side drawer out and tap on Settings. Once you're taken to the Settings screen, search for the option that says "Ënable PDF uploading" and tick the checkbox next to it. Now exit the application and fire up your favourite file browser (ES File Explorer or File Manager by CyanogenMod). Browse towards the location od the saved ePub file and click on it. It should show a small popup window that should give you an option to upload to Play Books. Voila!

You're done. The book will now be uploaded to Google's servers and all you need to do is open up the book and read.
Amogh Harish is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
android, google play, kindle, nook, upload