Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-02-2013, 05:04 AM   #61
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
Ok, I installed the Back Door Lock through KUAL, then uninstalled and reinstalled the Screensaver hack (with back door locked). I did find an update.log file under extensions/backdoorlock. Here's what it says (I locked it through KUAL every time I installed/uninstalled):

================================== 2013-03-02 17:43:03 ===============================
[KUAL] Lock state:
[ 2013-03-02 17:43:03 ]

BACK DOOR LOCKED

Update file(s):
- none -

Downloading now:
- none -
=================================== 2013-03-02 17:43:52 ===============================
[KUAL] Locked by user
=================================== 2013-03-02 17:46:41 ===============================
[KUAL] Locked by user
=================================== 2013-03-02 17:50:14 ===============================
[KUAL] Locked by user
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:54 AM   #62
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4B, Kindle PW2
Thanks for the report, now it's clear Back Door Lock has zero effect on KPW
dsmid is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 06:00 AM   #63
xtine
Addict
xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xtine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma
That's too bad
xtine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:14 AM   #64
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsmid View Post
Thanks for the report, now it's clear Back Door Lock has zero effect on KPW
Oooookay...

So. I should go update the listing?

Can you provide me with an easy way to test the other devices?
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 06:21 AM   #65
dsmid
Linux devotee
dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsmid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have an idea how to stop pushed updates even on KPW and KT but I can't implement it because I don't have any KPW or KT device.

In case someone wants to give it a try:
  1. First you need otaupd to release DBus service name com.lab126.ota. That's easy: search for com.lab126.ota in the binary and replace it by e.g. com.lab126.pta (rhymes with PITA).
  2. Then code a replacement DBus service that registers name com.lab126.ota for itself. Most of the time it would just pass all calls to com.lab126.pta via DBus but when a suspicious request is detected (one that looks like pushed update), it would just log it instead.
    You can use any DBus stack for that, I prefer QtDBus as it worked OK on Kindle 3 last time I tried.
Advert
Old 03-02-2013, 06:24 AM   #66
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Oooookay...

So. I should go update the listing?
Yes, please.

Quote:
Can you provide me with an easy way to test the other devices?
Just install anything with Back Door Lock active. You should find a message "Immediate update (i.e. initiated by user), proceeding..." with some details in update.log after that.
Old 03-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #67
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

UPDATED LISTING.

EDIT: On the KT...

Ghex... full binary. pictured over two pictures... I think I see the issue.. it's not in there..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_072.png
Views:	580
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	102211   Click image for larger version

Name:	Selection_073.png
Views:	554
Size:	47.6 KB
ID:	102212  

Last edited by twobob; 03-02-2013 at 06:57 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:00 AM   #68
twobob

The DX has no /usr/bin/otaupd I can find.

Hmm found something..

/usr/sbin/otaup ... it's a script. Doh.

Last edited by twobob; 03-02-2013 at 07:07 AM.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:13 AM   #69
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I have an idea how to stop pushed updates even on KPW and KT but I can't implement it because I don't have any KPW or KT device.

In case someone wants to give it a try:
  1. First you need otaupd to release DBus service name com.lab126.ota. That's easy: search for com.lab126.ota in the binary and replace it by e.g. com.lab126.pta (rhymes with PITA).
  2. Then code a replacement DBus service that registers name com.lab126.ota for itself. Most of the time it would just pass all calls to com.lab126.pta via DBus but when a suspicious request is detected (one that looks like pushed update), it would just log it instead.
    You can use any DBus stack for that, I prefer QtDBus as it worked OK on Kindle 3 last time I tried.
Why to complicate? Simple sed for single text file will work just fine. There is no need to get original com.lab126.ota out of the way.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 07:23 AM   #70
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
UPDATED LISTING.

EDIT: On the KT...

Ghex... full binary. pictured over two pictures... I think I see the issue.. it's not in there..
It's in /usr/lib/libotaup.so.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:25 AM   #71
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
The DX has no /usr/bin/otaupd I can find.

Hmm found something..

/usr/sbin/otaup ... it's a script. Doh.
/usr/bin/otaupd is on 5.x firmwares only.
DX is more like K3, I bet the framework calls process_update there as well.
Old 03-02-2013, 07:30 AM   #72
dsmid
Linux devotee

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
Why to complicate? Simple sed for single text file will work just fine. There is no need to get original com.lab126.ota out of the way.
Thanks for reminding me, this seems to much easier. I will use your solution in the next release of this hack.
Old 03-02-2013, 08:56 AM   #73
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by liyajiang View Post
My day version of the Kindle paperwhite, hand feel is ineffective, the screen with found input chaos, pressing a key other key follow random input, from yesterday, the screen long time no reaction, today morning session suddenly have a reaction, I try to stay in the system restore, need to make sure the language position, because can't input information and can't go ahead, you see is the mainboard failure or screen failure
Answered in detail, it the other thread which has this post.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...81&postcount=3
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 07:08 AM   #74
dsmid
Linux devotee

Version 7
  • Should work on KT and KPW now (thanks to eureka for the hint)

A reboot is required on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite after locking/unlocking the back door with KUAL and the silent update detection does not work on these devices, the hack uses a different method to stop silent updates.
Old 03-12-2013, 07:27 AM   #75
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
A reboot is required on Kindle Touch and Kindle Paperwhite after locking/unlocking the back door with KUAL
Ugh, no. You can just add restart todo command after mntroot ro in lock.sh/unlock.sh scripts. It will be enough for KT/PW to notice the change.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
k3 k4 k5 kpw backdoorlock