Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-07-2018, 08:59 AM   #1
asdf12
asdf12 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite EY21
Paperwhite EY21 - bricked/halts at progress line

Hello, I'll try to be succinct. Apologies if I am misusing the forum, any pointers are appreciated.

I own a Paperwhite, Model # EY21 (5th Gen?). It has been unusable since Approx. 28th Oct 2014.

Cause/circumstances surrounding bricking (is bricked the correct term? It would help with my googling, thank you):

*Harsh conditions crossing the length of Vietnam on a motorbike (humidity, dust, a lot of pressure/bangs on the backpack holding the device.).
*I used the web browser when the device crashed, if memory serves.
*I might or might not have performed an update on a bad network prior to the crash. I do not recall.

In other words: Might be software, might be hardware.

The device has ever since, and still does, halt at about 95% on the progress bar/tree of life-screen.

I was thinking I might try loading a new (old.) firmware on the system. Where do I start?

Best regards,
Pat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5208.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	163292  

Last edited by asdf12; 04-07-2018 at 09:04 AM.
asdf12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 10:40 AM   #2
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Start by finding the nickname used for your device here:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Serial_Numbers

The device's serial number is listed in your Amazon account if you do not have any other reference.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2018, 11:42 AM   #3
asdf12

Thank you for your response. I have the following device:

B024 Kindle PaperWhite WiFi | PW
Old 04-07-2018, 05:23 PM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdf12 View Post
Thank you for your response. I have the following device:
B024 Kindle PaperWhite WiFi | PW
Step #1:
Using a wall charger, allow the Kindle to re-charge for at least a week (or until the progress bar completes).

Why?
When re-booting, the start-up tests the condition of the file system, making repairs as required.
But with eMMC, the file system check has to re-start after each erase block is re-mapped.
With the speed of the system and of the eMMC, a file system with numerous errors can take a week or more to complete the test/repair cycles.
The Kindle must remain on a wall charger the entire time because at best it only has 4 .. 5 hours of run-time per battery charge.
Do not be concerned about possibly over-charging the battery - that is one problem none of the Kindle models have ever had.

Since you have a fairly old device, this may be its only problem.
Old 04-09-2018, 02:59 PM   #5
badgoodDeb
Grand Sorcerer
badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.badgoodDeb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palms, K1-4s, iPads, iPhones, KV, KO1
(And he means specifically a wall-charger. Charging from a computer doesn't provide as much juice.)
badgoodDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2018, 04:02 PM   #6
knc1
Going Viral

And often a computer will turn off its USB power when it goes to sleep.
Old 04-09-2018, 04:54 PM   #7
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Just to say thanks. I passed the advice about the wall charger and possibly 1 week to finish booting to a friend of mine. ~24 hours later, his Kindle finally finished booting and seems to be a happy camper again.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:09 PM   #8
asdf12

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Step #1:
Using a wall charger, allow the Kindle to re-charge for at least a week (or until the progress bar completes).
Unfortunately, this method did not fix the problem. It seems to go into sleep (or another screen, random screen, not the tree with the progress bar pops up).

What is the next step?
Old 05-06-2018, 09:30 AM   #9
asdf12

Anyone have any suggestions for what to do? The 7-day (14-day) charge did not work.