Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-16-2012, 12:41 PM   #646
dave2008
Addict
dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.dave2008 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: k3G, KDXG, AuraHD
knc1

Oh, I see! That make sense, I am using 12.04
dave2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 01:32 PM   #647
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Previously the emulate mode compiled with no error in my Gentoo x64 machine. But it fails on my freshly installed x86 Ubuntu today. I modified the Makefile and now it works on my Ubuntu too. You may want to checkout the latest code from the official repo
I can confirm that emulate mode now compiles without errors on Ubuntu 12.04 Desktop 32-bit. For what it's worth, I can also confirm the same for Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon 32-bit, which is not surprising since it's based on Ubuntu 12.04. (I had it lying around, so I thought I should try it before I download 3GB of FC12 . It worked! Then I saw your post, and it became clear why lol. I went back to Ubuntu, deleted kindlepdfview, cloned again, etc, etc and it worked on Ubuntu too). Thank you.

On another note: can someone please explain why make HOST=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi thirdparty works, and HOST=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi make thirdparty doesn't, and readme specifies EMULATE_READER=1 make thirdparty kpdfview (setting variable first). Not that it matters, but I'm curious. Sorry if the question is basic, but I'm a noob afterall .
Kai771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2012, 01:34 PM   #648
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
@Kai771: Has to do with how gnu make handles env vars vs. make vars & recursion. Can be headache inducing.
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:00 AM   #649
dpavlin
Connoisseur
dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.dpavlin can really shake a tail feather.

Device: Kindle K3G and DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
Hi,

Then I edited Makefile, changing

Code:
HOST:=arm-none-linux-gnueabi
into
Code:
HOST:=arm-linux-gnueabi
While this won't fix all your problems, you don't have to modify Makefile.

When variable is defiend with := in Makefile you can override it with arg after make like this:

Code:
make customupdate HOST=arm-linux-gnueabi
(or whatever your cross-compile gcc is prefixed with). Hope this helps...
dpavlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 01:26 PM   #650
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle DXG, Sony T1
I've been hesitating to try more with kpv because I'll need the emulation but I'm not familiar with the c stuff. I used linux before and mainly programmed in java.

Following Kai771's detailed log, I'm trying to compile an emulation now. I'm using linux mint 13 with vmware, and the compilation seemed ok except this one when I was doing "make kpdfview"
Quote:
draco@mint ~/Downloads/kindlepdfviewer $ make kpdfview
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src kpdfview.c -o kpdfview.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src einkfb.c -o einkfb.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src pdf.c -o pdf.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src blitbuffer.c -o blitbuffer.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src drawcontext.c -o drawcontext.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src input.c -o input.o
input.c: In function ‘openInputDevice’:
input.c:71:7: warning: ignoring return value of ‘pipe’, declared with attribute warn_unused_result [-Wunused-result]
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src util.c -o util.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Imupdf/thirdparty/freetype-2.4.10/include -Imupdf/fitz ft.c -o ft.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Iluafilesystem/src luafilesystem/src/lfs.c -o lfs.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Iluafilesystem/src mupdfimg.c -o mupdfimg.o
mupdfimg.c: In function ‘loadPNGData’:
mupdfimg.c:49:24: warning: initialization discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
mupdfimg.c: In function ‘loadJPEGData’:
mupdfimg.c:62:24: warning: initialization discards ‘const’ qualifier from pointer target type [enabled by default]
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -O3 -march=armv6 -Iluajit-2.0/src -Imupdf/ -Idjvulibre/ djvu.c -o djvu.o
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc -c -Ikpvcrlib/crengine/crengine/include/ -Iluajit-2.0/src cre.cpp -o cre.o -lstdc++
arm-linux-gnueabi-gcc \
kpdfview.o \
einkfb.o \
pdf.o \
blitbuffer.o \
drawcontext.o \
input.o \
util.o \
ft.o \
lfs.o \
mupdfimg.o \
mupdf/build/debug/libfitz.a \
mupdf/build/debug/libfreetype.a mupdf/build/debug/libopenjpeg.a mupdf/build/debug/libjbig2dec.a mupdf/build/debug/libjpeg.a mupdf/build/debug/libz.a \
luajit-2.0/src/libluajit.a \
djvu.o \
djvulibre/build/libdjvu/.libs/libdjvulibre.a \
cre.o \
kpvcrlib/crengine/crengine/libcrengine.a kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/chmlib/libchmlib.a kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/libpng/libpng.a kpvcrlib/crengine/thirdparty/antiword/libantiword.a \
\
-o kpdfview -lm -ldl -lpthread -lstdc++
And the emulation doesn't run correctly, it seemed the lua file was not correctly executed, but I do have lua installed, and luajit fetched correctly.

Quote:
draco@mint ~/Downloads/kindlepdfviewer $ EMULATE_READER=1 make thirdparty kpdfview
make: Nothing to be done for `thirdparty'.
make: `kpdfview' is up to date.
draco@mint ~/Downloads/kindlepdfviewer $ ./reader.lua test
./reader.lua: line 2: --[[: command not found
./reader.lua: line 3: KindlePDFViewer:: command not found
./reader.lua: line 4: syntax error near unexpected token `C'
./reader.lua: line 4: ` Copyright (C) 2011 Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@web.de>'
dracodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-17-2012, 02:52 PM   #651
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Aura One,HD,H2O,Touch,Mini,Kindle 3+DXG,Nook Simple Touch
dracodoc
To run in emulation mode you have to compile both thirdparty and kpdfview in emulation mode. The output you have shown contains compilation for arm, not for i386. So, before running "make thirdparty kpdfview" do this:

export EMULATE_READER_W=600 EMULATE_READER_H=800 EMULATE_READER=1

But now that you have already compiled for arm you have to clean everything first:

make clean
make cleanthirdparty
tigran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 03:13 PM   #652
dracodoc
Connoisseur
dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.dracodoc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks tigran, I was compiling separately, now following your suggestions , the emulation runs perfectly now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
dracodoc
To run in emulation mode you have to compile both thirdparty and kpdfview in emulation mode. The output you have shown contains compilation for arm, not for i386. So, before running "make thirdparty kpdfview" do this:

export EMULATE_READER_W=600 EMULATE_READER_H=800 EMULATE_READER=1

But now that you have already compiled for arm you have to clean everything first:

make clean
make cleanthirdparty

Last edited by dracodoc; 09-17-2012 at 03:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #653
dracodoc
Connoisseur

In emulator, I found that "back" is backspace in keyboard, but what is the "menu" button in keyboard?
Old 09-17-2012, 03:40 PM   #654
tigran
Zealot
tigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austentigran has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Menu is F1. If you open the file keys.lua and look for the function setEmuKeycodes() you will find out all the assignments. And if some numeric value is uncertain, just look at the debug output --- it shows the value.
Old 09-17-2012, 03:57 PM   #655
dracodoc
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by tigran View Post
Menu is F1. If you open the file keys.lua and look for the function setEmuKeycodes() you will find out all the assignments. And if some numeric value is uncertain, just look at the debug output --- it shows the value.
Thanks, I knew there are key codes in keys.lua but I didn't realized there are emulated key codes in there too!
Old 09-17-2012, 04:17 PM   #656
Kai771
Just a Noob
Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Kai771 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

@NiLuJe
So, basically, rtfm? Fine, I'll do it... eventually

@dpavlin
Well, modifying the Makefile or adding HOST=arm-linux-gnueabi to make is practically the same thing, isn't it? Anyway, I switched to using arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi and now there aren't any problems .

Last edited by Kai771; 09-17-2012 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo
Old 09-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #657
tigran
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai771 View Post
Anyway, I switched to usign arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi and now there aren't any problems .
Good. You saved yourself lots of future troubles with sysroot and libstdc++ when you would actually try running your freshly compiled arm binary on Kindle and fail. I went through all these nightmares before discovering x-tools toolchain, i.e. arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #658
Kai771
Just a Noob

Noob 2 Noob - KindlePDFViewer Development Guide

Now that I managed to properly compile kindlepdfviewer, I thought I should write a guide about it while my memory is still fresh. The developers had plans of writing DEVELOPMENT.TXT - see https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/issues/62, but they never did, and there isn't much info in the wiki too, so, as a thank you to them for their efforts and their help I'm writing this guide in hope that in absence of other info someone might find it helpful, at least until something better comes along.

Let me start by saying that what you are about to read isn't the only way. There are always multiple ways of doing the same thing. I can't cover them all, even if I knew them (which I don't). This text will be just one way - not necessarily correct way - but the way that works, described step by step, in as much detail as I can, that anyone should be able to follow and achieve the same results.

For this way, you will need 32-bit Linux installed. To save you from reading the previous posts, the reason is because other people reported problems with using 64-bit Linux and compiling for kindle (twobob), even if compiling in emulation mode (tigran). So to avoid all that, we will use 32-bit Linux, specifically Ubuntu 12.04 LTS Desktop 32-bit (you can download iso image here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop). If you feel really adventurous, you can use Linux Mint 13 "Maya" - Cinnamon (32-bit) (you can download iso here: http://www.linuxmint.com/edition.php?id=105)

Note: I'm kidding about the adventurous part. These two distros are the ones I tested. Other distros should also work, especially those based on Ubuntu or Debian (other might have different commands for installing packages), but I can't guarantee it since I never tried. So if you're following this guide, please pick one of the above.

If you're running Windows, 64-bit Linux, or some other distro - I suggest you install VirtualBox and install Ubuntu or Linux Mint in Virtual Machine. Creating the virtual machine should be outside the scope of this guide, but since I'm the one recommending it, I guess I'll have to cover it at least briefly. So, here it goes:

- Start Oracle VM VirtualBox Manager
- click New, then Next
- Enter Name (for example "Ubuntu VM"), select Operating System: Linux, Version: Ubuntu. Click Next
- If your real computer has more than 2GB of RAM, move the slider to 1024. If not, leave it at 512. Click Next.
- Leave Start-up Disk and Create new hard disk selected. Just click Next.
- Leave VDI (VirtualBox Disk Image) selected. Just click Next.
- Leave Dynamically allocated selected. Just click Next.
- again, leave default values untouched. Just click Next. Then click Create, then Create again.
- click on the Ubuntu VM on the left, then click Settings
- Click Storage on the left. Then in the middle click on CD icon under IDE Controller. Then on the CD icon near the right edge of the window, next to IDE Secondary Master. Select Choose a Virtual CD/DVD Disk File... and select Ubuntu-12.04-deskto-i386.iso. Click OK.
- Click again on Ubuntu VM on the left, and then click Start. The Virtual Machine will start booting. Follow instructions on screen to install Ubuntu as you would on a real computer.

If anyone's wondering, I'm running Windows 7 64-bit, and Ubuntu 12.04 32-bit under VirtualBox.

You'll also need a GitHub account. So if you don't have one, go to github.com and create it. If you have problems with creating github account, you can find help here: https://help.github.com/articles/sig...github-account. Log in to GitHub, and go here: https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer/. Click on Fork. Wait until it's done, and then you can sign out.

Now, if you just installed Ubuntu with default settings (or Linux Mint), you'll need to install some more packages. On your Ubuntu box, open terminal and type:

Code:
$ sudo apt-get install git subversion g++ lua5.1 cmake libsdl1.2-dev
and wait untill all packages are installed.

Then type:

Code:
$ git config --global user.name "kai771"
$ git config --global user.email "kai771@somewhere.com"
$ git clone https://github.com/kai771/kindlepdfviewer.git
(kai771 is my username - you type your own). When it's done, type:

Code:
$ cd kindlepdfviewer
$ git remote add upstream https://github.com/hwhw/kindlepdfviewer.git
$ make fetchthirdparty
$ EMULATE_READER_W=600 EMULATE_READER_H=800 EMULATE_READER=1 make thirdparty kpdfview
Wait a long time. This will compile kindlepdfreader in emulation mode, so it can be run on your PC. You can start reader typing the following command:

Code:
$./reader.lua test
To keep things simple, I suggest you put your pdf files in test folder too. You can now edit various .lua files using text editor, and test them using the above command. When you're satisfied with your changes of .lua files, you can transfer them to your kindle, copying them over the files of your regular kindlepdfviewer installation. To push commits, send pull requests etc. refer to the git help (at least read https://help.github.com/articles/fork-a-repo).

Cross-Compile
If you want to make installation package for kindle, you'll need the cross-compile toolchain. You have two options here: let's call them controversial and mainstream . I'll cover controversial first, since that option worked first for me. However, I recommend you use mainstream, especially if you have trouble finding the file needed for controversial.

Update: As of 2012-10-03, KindlePDFViewer's Makefile went through extensive changes. It might not be possible to build it successfully using Controversial Way anymore. Preferred ToolChain is Code Sourcery/Mentor Graphics 2012.03. Follow the instructions for Mainstream way, but use newer version. Version 2007q3 will still work, but 2012.03 is preferred.

Controversial Way

I call this way controversial because of the file you'll need - it seems it can't be freely distributed, probably because it contains kindle libraries and headers that are under copyright (my guess - I don't know for sure). The name of the file you need is x-tools-glibc2.5-gcc4.2.4.tar.gz, and it's 45,741,995 bytes long. You shouldn't have much trouble finding it.

With that file in your home dir, type this:

Code:
$ cd ~
$ tar xzvf x-tools-glibc2.5-gcc4.2.4.tar.gz
$ cd x-tools-glib2.5
$ sudo mv arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi /usr/local
Edit your .profile and add this line at the end:
Code:
PATH="/usr/local/arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi/bin:$PATH"
Relog. Now you have all you need to make a package that will install on kindle. To do so, type this:

Code:
$ cd kindlepdfviewer
$ make clean cleanthirdparty
$ make thirdparty kpdfview customupdate HOST=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi
Wait a long time, and you'll have your very own kindlepdfviewer-xxxxxxx.zip that you can put in customupdates folder on your kindle and press Shift-Shift-I to install (assuming you're using launchpad).

Mainstream Way

We'll use Code Sourcery/Mentor Graphics toolchain here. Go to http://www.mentor.com/embedded-software/codesourcery, and click "Download Lite Edition". In the "ARM processors" section, click on "Download the GNU/Linux Release". Fill in the form with your Name and e-mail, and click "Get Lite!". You'll receive an e-mail with a link to download page. On the download page, click on "Sourcery CodeBench Lite 2012.03-57", and then on "IA32 GNU/Linux TAR". You'll download the file arm-2012.03-57-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2. Put that file in your home dir, and then type:

Code:
$ cd ~
$ tar xvf arm-2012.03-57-arm-none-linux-gnueabi-i686-pc-linux-gnu.tar.bz2
$ sudo mv arm-2012.03 /opt
Edit your .profile and add this line at the end:

Code:
PATH="/opt/arm-2012.03/bin:$PATH"
Relog. Now you have all you need to make a package that will install on kindle. To do so, type this:

Code:
$ cd kindlepdfviewer
$ make clean cleanthirdparty
$ make thirdparty kpdfview customupdate
Wait a long time, and you'll have your very own kindlepdfviewer-xxxxxxx.zip that you can put in customupdates folder on your kindle and press Shift-Shift-I to install (assuming you're using launchpad).

Update: The following is already fixed, so you don't need to do it anymore. I'm still leaving it so people would know what tigran refered to in his next message
Note: at the time of testing all this, it failed in the end because README.TXT file is not there anymore, and there's README.md file instead. If this happens to you, type
Code:
$ cp README.md README.TXT
and then
Code:
$ make customupdate HOST=arm-kindle-linux-gnueabi
Update 2:
Tigran reports that it also works on FC17 64-bit version. See his posts https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=680 and https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=682

Last edited by Kai771; 10-04-2012 at 05:37 AM. Reason: New TC version
Old 09-17-2012, 04:55 PM   #659
tigran
Zealot

Kai771
Makefile has been updated already, so the stuff about cp README.md README.TXT is no longer necessary.
Old 09-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #660
Kindlevarazs
Connoisseur
Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kindlevarazs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Nice, thanks! :-)
Kindlevarazs is offline   Reply With Quote