Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-29-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Qylie
Qylie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Corrupted database

I have Calibre setup on a desktop in my house. I have the drive it is on mounted on my other computers (E drive). I then have the other computers open the Calibre database and use it there. That way I don't have seperate databases on each computer. I have been running calibre like this for about a year with no problems. Yesterday when I went to open calibre I got an error
calibre, version 0.8.16
ERROR: Repairing failed: The database repair failed. Starting with a new empty library.

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 137, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\debug.py", line 72, in reinit_db
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 314, in run
DatabaseException: database disk image is malformed
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 256, in run
File "sqlite3\dump.py", line 49, in _iterdump
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
I really don't want to create a new database and re-import because I only have half my books in Calibre but all my books are stored in the same folder. So trying to figure out which books have been imported and which haven't would be impossible.

Thanks for anyhelp :-)
Qylie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qylie View Post
I then have the other computers open the Calibre database and use it there.
Your database is corrupt. If you've been simultaneously accessing it from multiple other computers, that's not surprising. Calibre is not designed to do that.

You can rebuild the database from the individual opf files for each book using the option to the right of the Library icon on your toolbar.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 11:51 AM   #3
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Delete metadata.db then follow the instructions here: http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....n-app-is-blank
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:01 PM   #4
Qylie

If i delete the metadata.db file then i get
calibre version 0.8.16
ERROR: No existing library found: There is no existing calibre library at E:\Calibre

Thanks for the help
Old 08-29-2011, 03:03 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
STart calibre as

calibre --with-library c:\calibre
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-29-2011, 05:49 PM   #6
Qylie

Thanks! That worked perfectly! THANKS!
Old 08-24-2014, 09:16 PM   #7
Japes
Addict
Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Japes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350,Sony PRS-950,Pocketbook 360+,B&N Nook Simple Touch Reader
In the interest of not starting a new thread on this, I'm having the same problem. Kovid, when I click on your link, I'm not finding any sort of instructions. Not sure if they have since been moved? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For no apparent reason (I've not changed a thing), when I tried to get into calibre, it said the database was corrupted. It failed, on it's attempt to restore it from backups, apparently. Please help. I'm freaking out a little bit.
Japes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
In the interest of not starting a new thread on this, I'm having the same problem. Kovid, when I click on your link, I'm not finding any sort of instructions. Not sure if they have since been moved? Any help would be greatly appreciated. For no apparent reason (I've not changed a thing), when I tried to get into calibre, it said the database was corrupted. It failed, on it's attempt to restore it from backups, apparently. Please help. I'm freaking out a little bit.
@Japes - that link is almost 3 years old, calibre is a 'fast moving package' so what was there is probably irrelevant now.

Can you capture the error message and post it. Along with which Operating System you use and what version of Calibre you have installed.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 02:02 AM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japes View Post
Link works fine. See reason #2.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote