Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > Offline > ePub Books (offline)

Notices

Old 09-24-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Clifton, Mark: Short Stories v1, 24 Sep 2012

Mark Clifford was the winner (with Frank Riley) of the 1955 Hugo Award for They'd Rather Be Right, but is nearly unknown to today's science fiction readers. He was not a prolific writer, and had published only about twenty short stories before his death in 1963. But with those stories and his three novels he irrevocably altered the course of contemporary science fiction.

Almost single-handedly he introduced the full range of psychological insights and libertarian thought to the commonly occurring science fiction themes - alien invasion, expanding technology, revolution against political theocracy, and space exploration and colonization - to portray how humanity would react to a future that could be either mindless or intellectually stunning.

In his first published story, 'What Have I Done?' he initiated the theme of a
starkly realistic world in which, at its best, humanity is inalterably vile - a theme that became an part of all his subsequent works until his last story 'Hang Head, Vandal!' He particularly despised politicians, lawyers, bureaucrats, the news media, and warmongers.

Many of Mark Clifton's twenty or so short stories mention ESP or telepathy, and the persecution and suffering experienced by those who have these abilities or higher intelligence. And all his stories in one way or another stress the importance of challenging perceived wisdom, and adopting or at least trying out different ways of thinking. He had a marvellous ability to bring out new ideas; for example his story 'We're Civilized!' described 'Blowback' long before it got that name.

The six short stories in this ebook have versions on Project Gutenberg, and therefore meet the criteria for being in the Public Domain. Another four stories ('Star, Bright', 'Clerical Error', 'The Dread Tomato Addiction', and 'What Now, Little Man' are freely available on the internet in text form, but I have been unable to verify that they are in the Public Domain. When I can verify that they are in the Public Domain I'll add them to later versions of this ebook. Please let me know if you come across digital versions of his other short stories.

Last edited by AlexBell; 09-26-2012 at 02:29 AM. Reason: Fixed a typo
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 09:39 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
I'm not really sure this is in the Canadian public domain, the stories being available on Gutenberg nonwithstanding. Mark Clifton died in 1963, so even in Life+50 countries like Canada his works only become PD on Januari 1, 2014, I'd think.

Or am I missing something?
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #3
anyo1982
anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anyo1982 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Thanks for sharing! Was looking for it for several weeks, and finally I got it
anyo1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 03:22 AM   #4
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
I'm not really sure this is in the Canadian public domain, the stories being available on Gutenberg nonwithstanding. Mark Clifton died in 1963, so even in Life+50 countries like Canada his works only become PD on Januari 1, 2014, I'd think.

Or am I missing something?
I've been assured by a moderator that MobileRead accepts that if it's in Project Gutenberg it's in the Public Domain.

There are some other works by Mark Clifton which have been in the MR library for several years.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 05:24 AM   #5
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
I've been assured by a moderator that MobileRead accepts that if it's in Project Gutenberg it's in the Public Domain.
They are the boss
Old 09-25-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
pynch
why in?
pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pynch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Aura
Does this mean that Canada has new laws? It’s public domain 50 years after the author’ death or if it’s on Project Gutenberg? Funny.
pynch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 12:39 PM   #7
tuskin
Enthusiast
tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tuskin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Xiaomi Redmi Note 9, Surface 3
Clifton in Gutenberg

From The Project Gutenberg EBook of Do Unto Others, by Mark Clifton

Transcriber's Note:

This etext was produced from If Worlds of Science Fiction June 1958. Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed.

Google renewal of copyright.
tuskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 03:43 AM   #8
mbovenka
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuskin View Post
From The Project Gutenberg EBook of Do Unto Others, by Mark Clifton

Transcriber's Note:

This etext was produced from If Worlds of Science Fiction June 1958. Extensive research did not uncover any evidence that the U.S. copyright on this publication was renewed.

Google renewal of copyright.
Of course. I forgot about that requirement...