Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-21-2012, 11:04 PM   #196
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by A-I View Post
Plus even after factory_reset, I only show 3,044Mb free when it should be about 4000Mb.
The entire device is 4GB, but it is divided up into partitions. The first 1GB contains the u-boot, bist u-boot, main kernel, diags kernel, mmbclk0p1 (main), mmcblk0p2 (diags), mmcblk0p3 (/var/local), plus storage for private info (idme vars). The remaining 3GB appears as the USB drive.

So what you see is correct, and the way it should be.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:06 PM   #197
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
mntroot rw
dd if=/mnt/us/mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4K
mntroot ro
Anyone see what I am doing wrong? Or can suggest other things to try?
Thanks.
You should also flash the 5.0.0 main kernel (using fastboot). It is a good idea for the partition and kernel to be the same version.
Old 04-22-2012, 03:36 AM   #198
A-I
A-I began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch, Nook Color
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
You should also flash the 5.0.0 main kernel (using fastboot). It is a good idea for the partition and kernel to be the same version.
Thanks geekmaster! Major kudos for the de-bricking and Select Boot tools!

I went ahead and flashed 5.1.0 since my KT seems to be able to update with *.bin files now. My thought was that a 5.1.0 flash would sync everything. Everything seems to work fine.

The only problem is when I do Settings->Restart, it still hangs at the screen

"Please wait a moment while
your Kindle starts up"

And I have to USB connect the KT to the PC and run the MfgTool (main mode) with the button push On->Magic->OnRelease->MagicRelease to get back the KT Home. Any ideas of why it continues to hang at that screen on Restart? Or anyone else had this problem solved in another post?

Maybe start over and flash both mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img and kernel-kt-5.0.0.img?
Thanks.

Last edited by A-I; 04-22-2012 at 04:34 AM.
A-I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #199
diba
Addict
diba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolatediba is generous with chocolate

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle PW, Nexus7 3G
I flashed the kernel via fastboot, this made it for me.
diba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:58 AM   #200
geekmaster

Quote:
Maybe start over and flash both mmcblk0p1-kt-5.0.0.img and kernel-kt-5.0.0.img?
Thanks.
If I were in your position, I would flash 5.0.0 kernel with fastboot, and 5.0.0 main with "dd" from diags_ssh. Then I would upgrade to 5.1.0 AFTER everything is working.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:49 AM   #201
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Device: none
Badly my kindle is down.

I can not load kindle keyboard now.It stop at 45% loading.
Then i press the home key when it restarts and reset to factory.
Still can not load in kindle.
Then i install duokan,fortunately it works.but i still can not access the kindle.
I write it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176890
mmcblk0p2 maybe is broken.
xueyou2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 01:55 PM   #202
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
I can not load kindle keyboard now.It stop at 45% loading.
Then i press the home key when it restarts and reset to factory.
Still can not load in kindle.
Then i install duokan,fortunately it works.but i still can not access the kindle.
I write it here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=176890
mmcblk0p2 maybe is broken.
The "kindle keyboard" is commonly called a K3 in this forum. It has different partition numbering than the K4 and K5(touch). On the K3, mmcblk0p2 is NOT a diagnostics partition. Instead, the ENABLE_DIAGS file just runs the system diagnostics program after booting from main. The debricking instructions posted in this thread are for K4 and K5(touch) and will not work for a K3. To debrick a K3, you need to use the method demonstrated in seaniko7's K3 debricking YouTube video:

Here is how to make the connector/cable used in the video shown above: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99177

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-29-2012 at 02:04 PM.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #203
xueyou2
Connoisseur
xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.xueyou2 can eat soup with a fork.

Thank you !I will try .

Thanks a lot !I will try.
Or i have to mail kindle to duokan team in beijing to debrick it.

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-29-2012 at 09:27 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:03 AM   #204
xueyou2
Connoisseur

Hi geekmaster.New discovery.

When the kindle restart i press enter for long
then it come to a page which have
u update kernel + rootfs

Does it mean i can update rootfs from usb-disk then the kindle will be debrick?
And the major problem is that i can not find the img file for k3g b006.

Last edited by xueyou2; 04-30-2012 at 11:39 PM.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:35 AM   #205
geekmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by xueyou2 View Post
When the kindle restart i press enter for long
then if come to a page which have
u update kernel + rootfl

Does it mean i can update rootfl from usb-disk then the kindle will be debrick?
And the major problem is that i can not find the img file for k3g b006.
I have not debricked a K3 (yet). It sounds like that menu would be a good place to either fix your kindle or to make it worse, depending on what menu options you select, and what firmware image you try to install.

It sounds promising -- there were firmware images for K3 posted on a famous torrent site with a pirate ship logo. People are afraid of posting links to proprietary firmware images. In my case, I received UNOFFICIAL verbal permission to distribute firmware images with my debricking tools, but that was never followed up with written permission from the amazon legal department like I was expecting from them. In any case, I removed links to images from mobileread, and now there is a link to a pastebin TEXT document that contains non-clickable URLs where you can go to get images. A link to a text file should fall into "freedom of information" and "fair use" just in case verbal permission is not enough.

But for the K3 image, look for a torrent file for it... Or somebody could PM you with a temporary link to a firmware image.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:44 PM   #206
xueyou2
Connoisseur

Who can explain how to use" u update kernel+rootfs"method.

Who can explain how to u update kernel+rootfs.
I think it is a easy and offical way to debrick kindle (k3 3g).
I do not know how name the img file and what format shoud be.
Can someone explain it?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:47 AM   #207
belalugosimf
belalugosimf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hello, guys.

I bought two Amazon Kindle touch devices in USA (WIFI only - not G3).
I'm in Europe now, so I cant sent device back for replacement. One kindle has been bricked while performing update (Other is updated and working).
I had no Jailbreak.

I followed the advice in the forums and read posts by people with the same s problems.
One part of the work I was able to do alone, but I'm stuck in the process.
Need help.... So - this is my situation.

system - Win7 64

I was stuck on "need repair" screen, but I manage to bypass that with "data.tar.gz" and "RUNME.sh" script. After that kindle was stuck on "tree screensaver".

With "Mfg Tool" I managed to get into "System Diags".
After that I created "kindle.inf" file with "Inf-wizard.exe".

But if I try to Fastboot - I'm stuck on "waiting for device".
I cant use Geekmaster inf file (because im on 64 bit system?) - or I'm doning something wrong.
So, in attachment you can find pictures, and screenshots - and maybe u can find the way to help me?

and - sorry for bad english!

image link

image link
I use "INF-WIZARD.exe" to create inf file....

image link
This is "inf-wizard" procedure.....

image link
I can't use Geekmasters inf file...! Maybe because of 64 bit system? Or i do somethig wrong here?

image link
Anyhow - with "inf-wizzard" inf driver installed - in CMD, when trying to make fastboot - stuck on "waiting for device"....

Obviously doing something wrong.

And finaly - ultimate question:

image link
How do I know which one is suitable partition or kernel version?

I hope you'll soon realize what I'm doing wrong and help me to fix frikin Kindle, because im trying for days now different techniques - without success.

Thanks in advance...!

Last edited by belalugosimf; 05-09-2012 at 09:41 AM.
belalugosimf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 01:30 PM   #208
hostar
Zealot
hostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of lighthostar is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle 4 non-touch
belalugosimf: I think I found the mistake you did.
On this picture you posted: http://i47.tinypic.com/2r2rxix.jpg, is bad VID/PID (Vendor ID, Product ID).
There is 1949/0004 , but correct is 1949/D0D0.

You need to boot into fastboot mode and then, when Kindle will be connected in fastboot mode to computer, start inf-wizard. To be honest, I haven't Touch, but I think after replace the INF file and driver reinstall, you should be able to connect over fastboot tool.

So, to be clear, you need to create drivers when Kindle is in fastboot mode.

To Windows x64 - I have it too and fastboot works even if x86 version of libusb is installed, so there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited by hostar; 05-09-2012 at 02:33 PM.
hostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 02:44 PM   #209
geekmaster

@hostar: Thanks. I do not have time to spend on this right now and I appreciate all the help I can get from "team mates" while we are helping other kindle owners.

@belalugosimf: Try what hostar suggested and post your results here. You could use the following thumbnail photo for your mobileread avatar image:

Last edited by geekmaster; 05-09-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:00 PM   #210
belalugosimf
belalugosimf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
Hostar & Geekmaster - thnx for help and quick reply!

I try your advice - here is all procedure:

First - I started MfgTool and connected kindle (using magic button to enter in Diags mode).
On kindle:
D) Exit, Reboot or Disable Diags
then F)Fastboot Bundle Install.

After that i started inf-wizard.exe and make "Kindle.inf" file.
This time VID/PID was 1949/D0D0.

Then - open cmd and start fastboot.exe:

fastboot getvar serial
- getvar:serial FAILED (command write failed (No error))
finished. total time: 0.000s

So, i tryed to install geekmasters inf file. I just copy that file into my generated "kindle.inf" file. Installed new inf file, and started fastboot again - same result.

see pictures.....

I'm sure I'm so close to the right answer..... can't figure out where is mistake.

image link
kindle fastboot inf installed....

image link
VID/PID is 1949/D0D0...

image link
Fastboot failed.

Any clue?

p.s.
Geekmaster: thnx fot avatar idea!
belalugosimf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
debricking