Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 02-17-2010, 12:43 PM   #1
FireRunner
eAddict
FireRunner is on a distinguished road

Device: Nook
Feedback on newspapers?

I'd love to get the newspaper on my Nook, but I've read many complaints about the newspaper service on all the eReaders. Many say the editions don't download on time (available late in the morning) while others say the editions stop downloading altogether.

Anyone have experience with newspaper experience on the Nook?

Thanks!
FireRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, firerunner.

Amazon offers a 14 day free trial for their newspapers and magazines allowing you to see if it works for you.

Does BN offer that also? It would be a neat way to "try before you buy".....
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 12:51 PM   #3
FireRunner
eAddict

They do have a free trial, but most of the negative reviews I've read say the problems starts after two weeks So, I'm looking for people who've had subscriptions for a while.

Thanks for the welcome.
Old 02-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
They do have a free trial, but most of the negative reviews I've read say the problems starts after two weeks So, I'm looking for people who've had subscriptions for a while.

Thanks for the welcome.
Well........thats odd.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 02:01 PM   #5
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
The main problem I have with newspapers on the nook is the formatting. At least with the stuff I've tried, the layout of the pages makes navigation via anything other than the TOC an annoying exercise.

I've maybe gotten a bit spoiled by the 900 here, which has its own buttons making it easier to jump around even if the paper is badly formatted, but they also use better formatting which works well on the 505 and 600 as well.

I've not delved too much into the nook delivery service, simply because the formatting was too much for me.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I know it's probably not going to satisfy the OP, but I can't recommend Calibre's newsgathering feature strongly enough. Of course, I don't subscribe to regular newspapers, seeing them as relics. I get most of my news online anyway, and having access to them, formatted for my nook is awesome. Calibre can even get me my google reader feeds. That way, I can tailor the news to issues I want to hear about, or be as general as I want to be.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
shrktank
Connoisseur
shrktank has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony 650,Nook Color and iPad
I have used the Soy PRS-900 for newspaper and must admit it worked great. However my Mercury News paper never got to me until about 9:00CST time which is too late to red before work.

I now have the nook, and while the newspaper formating is not as good as the Sony, it is still presentable and readable. And to my joy I get the papers before 7:00CST which allows me time to read before heading off to work
shrktank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:40 PM   #8
FireRunner
eAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by beartard View Post
I know it's probably not going to satisfy the OP, but I can't recommend Calibre's newsgathering feature strongly enough. Of course, I don't subscribe to regular newspapers, seeing them as relics. I get most of my news online anyway, and having access to them, formatted for my nook is awesome. Calibre can even get me my google reader feeds. That way, I can tailor the news to issues I want to hear about, or be as general as I want to be.
I'm not familiar with Calibre. Can you send news feeds to your Nook?
Old 02-17-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
FireRunner
eAddict

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrktank View Post
I have used the Soy PRS-900 for newspaper and must admit it worked great. However my Mercury News paper never got to me until about 9:00CST time which is too late to red before work.

I now have the nook, and while the newspaper formating is not as good as the Sony, it is still presentable and readable. And to my joy I get the papers before 7:00CST which allows me time to read before heading off to work
Thanks for the feedback. I'm not too concerned with format or display, as long as I can read the articles. I'm mainly looking at WSJ and maybe the Washington Post. I still read current news online, but I enjoy reading newspaper articles (Sports/Metro/Style).

I've just read people saying the delivery of the stop or don't come early in the morning.
Old 02-17-2010, 09:50 PM   #10
tyncam
tyncam began at the beginning.

I've subscribed to the New York Times and received them first thing each morning consistently ...
tyncam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 08:51 PM   #11
mfaine
Member Retired
mfaine began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I also subscribed to NY Times and other than what I have written in this review, the biggest problem was that I spent all of my free reading time reading the paper and had no time to read anything else.

-Mark
mfaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2010, 12:11 AM   #12
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireRunner View Post
I'm not familiar with Calibre. Can you send news feeds to your Nook?
Calibre is ebook/ereader management software. It's cross-platform and feature-rich. Among its features are: ability to convert between drm-free ebook formats, downloading news from websites, managing your library, and being written and maintained by a member of this forum.

Say I want to read my favorite newspaper's rss content. I set it up with Calibre and the software downloads the feed at a settable time and converts it to an ebook format. When I plug my nook in, Calibre uploads it and deletes the original on the computer. If a USB hookup isn't your thing for such, you can set up Calibre as a server and have the download happen over wifi.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote