Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-10-2009, 04:28 AM   #1
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Question about Opticbook 3600

I just bought an Opticbook and I'm confused about something in the setup instructions.

They say in one place that it's very important to unlock the scanner first. They also include a picture that makes it look like the lock tab should be pushed all the way in and like the horizontal tab next to it should also be pushed in to keep it in place.

But in the Important Notes section that pushed-in state is labeled "Always Lock" and the recommended state is Auto Lock. The picture representing Auto Lock has the both the lock tab and the horizontal tab all the way out (which is how the scanner arrived in the first place).

So what do they want from me? How do you have your scanner set up?
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 06:23 AM   #2
DDHarriman
Guru
DDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura aboutDDHarriman has a spectacular aura about

Device: Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS 505, Kindle DXG and Samsung Galaxy Note
Hi

When on a table and available to scan "always unlock".
When transporting it "always lock".
"Auto lock", I just ignore this option.

Best regards,
DDHarriman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 AM   #3
301verbs
Enthusiast
301verbs began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Thanks DDHarriman.

The thing is that the picture for "Always Lock" in the "Important Notes" section is different from (and inconsistent with) what it is in the "Installing and Setting Up" section.

But in the meantime I found a video about it on their site (http://www.plustek.com/product/flash...ock.asp?pid=11) and it looks like they want everything pushed in. I guess they just messed up the labelling in the Important Notes part.
301verbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2009, 09:48 AM   #4
ahi
Wizard
ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ahi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
What is this whole locking thing about, by the way?

I know not locking it while transporting, with pleasant ease, ruin a $100+ machine... but I really don't quite understand how or why.

- Ahi
ahi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 08:08 PM   #5
Studio717
Addict
Studio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enoughStudio717 will become famous soon enough

Device: Various Kindles, iPhone, iPad, Galaxy 10.1
On mine, there's a coin-slot for locking and unlocking for a serious move - as well as a button on the bottom that releases anytime you pick it up and locks it.

I discovered that last when I put the scanner on a spongy no-slip mat and it wouldn't work. It needs a hard surface so that button is pushed in.

Sfaik, the locks are to keep the light unit from sliding about when being moved.

Edited to add: the only time I've used the coin-slot lock is when I moved the scanner from one floor in our house to another. Ordinarily, the scanner stays put, so I leave it unlocked.
Studio717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
opticbook, opticbook 3600