Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
vrain
vrain began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kobo Touch vs Kindle for Canada

I've been looking around for my first eReader and have narrowed it down to the Kobo Touch and the Kindle that is available to Canada. The openess of the Kobo and the number of file types it supports is a definite plus but I have some concerns over the long term durability of it based off some of the reviews on the Kobo and Chapters/Indigo sites. I understand that I can convert and use ePub files on the Kindle so that negates part of the file dilemma. I have tried a Kobo Touch but not any of the Kindles so I I'm undecided about buttons vs touch.

I guess it comes down to a few questions:

1. Are Kobos more prone to failure than Kindles?

2. Are there any concerns for a Canadian user of a Kindle that I should be aware of?
vrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #2
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
1. In terms of hardware for the Touch, I'm not sure. I have heard of issues with the D-pad on the older model. Software issues seem to be on-going though.

2. No issues with the Kindle NT or keyboard version specifically, which are the only two available in Canada at the moment. Once you have DRM removal/file conversion mastered you are not locked into the Amazon store, which sometimes has georestrictions on books that are available from Kobo and elsewhere.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2011, 05:07 PM   #3
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrain View Post
2. Are there any concerns for a Canadian user of a Kindle that I should be aware of?
If you maintain your Canadian identity (as opposed to going through some minor hoops to have your Kindle show as a US Kindle), then there are some minor concerns.
  • Book Availability -- It will never be as good as that in the US Amazon store, given the nature of current publishing contracts. But this is just as true of the Kobo as the Kindle.
  • Library Borrowing -- You can't borrow books from your local or provincial library without removing the DRM and converting them. This is easy, but is not required for the Kobo.
  • Apps -- many aren't available outside of the US. OTOH, you're not buying a Kindle to play games, you're buying it to read books.
The most flexible solution is to register your Kindle as a US Kindle, but that's a nuisance and probably not worth the bother unless you find, down the road, that you're being overly constrained by the first bullet. It is something you can always do later.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:32 PM   #4
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
Some of the issue requires you to consider what kind of user & reader you are:

Are you a person who:
- Visits the library & has a library card, but would like the convenience of e-readers for your library books
- like free books & upcoming new authors?
- likes to buy & acquire books from a variety of sources.
- already has a library of epub books?
- is reasonably comfortable with a computer and the side-loading process?
- has a huge library of e-books, or likes to sort & organize books - keep your libraries organized on micro-SD cards & load them into your e-reader

Then get the Kobo Touch. It's flexibility with file formats, ability to borrow library books, and touch screen (to make reading feel more natural in whatever position you place your hands)

but . . .

Are you a person who:
- Has never been inside a library, and finds it would be too much hassle to get a card anyway?
- Is choosy about what you read, preferring bestselling authors
- Buys your books anyway, and doesn't mind paying full price right now ( in this case, e-book prices will often provide a savings over the shelf price of physical materials)
- Likes the convenience of couch-potato buying (buying that book you just saw reviewed on the talk show from the convenience of your sofa)
- Isn't worried about sideloading - because you are buying all your books anyhow.
- Isn't very computer savvy & not at all worried about stripping DRM - you may not know what that means, and don't really want to either.

Then the Kindle is for you. It's one stop shopping in a nice convenient box. Amazon has one of the largest marketplaces for your book-buying pleasure, the screen is just as easy to read as the Kobo, but it does lack the touch capability.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:45 AM   #5
vrain

To answer that list:

-I work in a University library and use my public library fairly often for print books. That may transfer over to ebooks, but I won't be limited to electronic only.
-I like free books and mostly read fantasy, historical fiction and classics. I'll end up getting these from whatever source is cheapest at the time.
-I am computer savvy and doubt I'll have any problems with the file type conversion, DRM stripping and side loading processes. If I've read the information right, it's not hard to convert epub to mobi and vice versa.
-I have a very tiny library of epubs, but mostly free public domain books that I can get again easily or convert if I need to.

From what I can tell, please correct me if I'm wrong, either eReader will do the job once I get comfortable with Calibre and it's plugins. It may simply come down to touch screen vs buttons (I've tried the Kobo but not a Kindle yet) and which one is more durable. I'll be honest, the Kobo forums here make it seem like the touch has a lot of defects and I want to avoid a dead eReader within a year.
Advert
Old 11-17-2011, 09:57 AM   #6
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I think you understand your situation very well. Try to play with both units in a store if possible, although only the KK will be available in a store, not the Kindle NT. If you decide you might like touch it could be worth waiting for the Kindle Touch to be shipped to Canada (I'm guessing it should be soon?), or if you are close to a border or going on a trip, buy one in the US.

I would not buy a Kobo but I buy ebooks from their store. I prefer the Kindle hardware. I provide "technical support" for relatives with Kobos enough to know that I don't want one.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 11:06 AM   #7
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I could not live without the ability to make collections, so for me, it had to be the Kindle My boyfriend has a Kobo Touch and I have a Kindle 4 and they have the same size and form factor. The sole difference, other than the buttons on mine, is that I can do collections and he can't
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Lorif
Lorif began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505, prs-t1
Hi Vrain,
Have you considered the Sony Wifi? It is like the Kobo as far as content availability, has a touch screen (but also buttons) and the wifi.
I have only had Sony's myself, but my daughter has the Kobo and we set my dad up with the Kindle, just different needs at different times.
Lorif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:10 PM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget_girl View Post
Some of the issue requires you to consider what kind of user & reader you are:

Are you a person who:
- Has never been inside a library, and finds it would be too much hassle to get a card anyway?
- Is choosy about what you read, preferring bestselling authors
- Buys your books anyway, and doesn't mind paying full price right now ( in this case, e-book prices will often provide a savings over the shelf price of physical materials)
- Likes the convenience of couch-potato buying (buying that book you just saw reviewed on the talk show from the convenience of your sofa)
- Isn't worried about sideloading - because you are buying all your books anyhow. - Isn't very computer savvy & not at all worried about stripping DRM - you may not know what that means, and don't really want to either.

Then the Kindle is for you. It's one stop shopping in a nice convenient box. Amazon has one of the largest marketplaces for your book-buying pleasure, the screen is just as easy to read as the Kobo, but it does lack the touch capability.
For the record, it is easy to sideload books on to the Kindle. You plug in the USB cord and drag and drop. Easy Peasy.

If you are comfortable with stripping DRM then either will work for you. If you want to borrow books from the library then you should probably go with the Kobo.

Last edited by ProfCrash; 11-17-2011 at 12:12 PM.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 07:11 AM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
For the record, it is easy to sideload books on to the Kindle. You plug in the USB cord and drag and drop. Easy Peasy.

If you are comfortable with stripping DRM then either will work for you. If you want to borrow books from the library then you should probably go with the Kobo.
Since vrain appears to have no difficulty stripping DRM and using Calibre, then I see no particular preference for Kobo over Kindle for library books. I use my Provincial library system for eBooks all the time, and the workflow is essentially the same as my normal workflow.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:03 PM   #11
vrain

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. I just ordered my Kindle 4 and can't wait for it to arrive. I found a demo unit in a local Staples and was able to try it out a bit. Now I just need to find a nice case for it
Old 11-26-2011, 10:21 PM   #12
alter began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by vrain View Post
I found a demo unit in a local Staples and was able to try it out a bit.
Does Staples sell them or did you have to order from Amazon? On their website they only show pictures of the Kindle Keyboard, same at The Source's website.

I can't decide between the Kobo Touch and Kindle 4... Would be nice to be able to see a Kindle 4 in the flesh to help with the decision.

Can anyone weigh in on how page turning compares on the two?
alter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2011, 11:00 PM   #13
Bubble
Enthusiast
Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Bubble has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I could not live without the ability to make collections, so for me, it had to be the Kindle My boyfriend has a Kobo Touch and I have a Kindle 4 and they have the same size and form factor. The sole difference, other than the buttons on mine, is that I can do collections and he can't
Can you expand upon the collection bit? Is that like nested folders?
Bubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Collections are like folders, but not nested folders. Kindles don't currently supported nested collections.
Old 12-01-2011, 12:31 AM   #15
alter began at the beginning.

Device: none yet
in case anyone else is out there trying to decide between the two... i went to my local staples and they had both the Kobo Touch and the Kindle 4. they had a sale and they were the same price. came home with the kindle, pretty sure it was cheaper than it would have been to buy from amazon by the time taxes and duty are figured in.

have already read 1 ebook from the library (600 page novel) and am very happy with the kindle.
alter is offline   Reply With Quote