Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-16-2011, 07:02 AM   #1
dorkmania
dorkmania began at the beginning.

Device: none
Where can I buy e-books in Australia?

Every place I find that has the books I want to buy restricts it to US residents only. I have not yet bought an e-reader so I'm not locked into any store. I'm currently waiting to find a store that sells to Australians before I make a decision in which e-reader to buy.

So does anyone know where I can get ebooks? Thanks
dorkmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 07:37 AM   #2
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Well there are a a good number.

readwithoutpaper.com is Australian.
kobobooks.com
Amazon.com
Baen.com/webscriptions.net is you're into sci fi
www.bewrite.net (Neil who is associated with the company is very frequent on these forums)

The last two are DRM-free.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #3
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
And a small site you may not know called Amazon.com - they sell to us in New Zealand anyway
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Clancy_s
Zealot
Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Clancy_s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Amazon will sell some but not all books to us in Aus (and I suspect NZ); it depends on the details of the author's contract with their publisher.
Clancy_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Perhaps this site can help?
http://librariansmatter.com/blog/201...-in-australia/
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2011, 01:58 AM   #6
tech_au
Oz Bookworm
tech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura abouttech_au has a spectacular aura about

Device: Sony PRS 505,PRS 650
without getting into DRM removal and format conversion the following are the ebook stores you can buy from if you jump onto the kobo/Sony etc side of the fence.
kobobooks.com
readwithoutpaper.com
booku.com
ebooks.com
You can also join the Singapore Public Library at singapore.lib.overdrive.com.
You are suppose to use your passport number as your login but a random 8 digit number works just as well.
tech_au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 07:59 PM   #7
sabredog
Geographically Restricted
sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sabredog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T3, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air2, Nexus7v2
Try smashwords as well.
sabredog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:23 PM   #8
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I am Australian and I mainly use the following:

Amazon
Smashwords
Baen
BeWrite

For classics/public domain I use:

This site (plenty of uploads of public domain works here)
ManyBooks
Feedbooks
Project Gutenberg

All of these sites except Amazon are DRM free and all except Amazon generally offer both ePub and mobi meaning that you have more freedom to choose an eReader you like (most of them - other than Amazon's Kindle - supports ePub).

Now, here's the bad news. In terms of big name authors who are still in copyright, Amazon seems to be the best source for Australians, and only what is not georestricted.

Kobo might offer something on the ePub side and is probably fine for more readers than just the Kobo - although not really good for Kindle users. I haven't used it much myself as I have a Kindle and I haven't been bothered to jump through any hoops.

If you like libraries, an ePub reader is probably better at this stage. I haven't done a full assessment of Australian libraries on Overdrive, but I understand the Singapore Library will allow international patrons. Apparently Kindle will offer library lending through Overdrive some time this year, but it will be U.S. only at the start. God knows when it will be available to Australians.

Regards
Caleb
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 11:27 PM   #9
CHunter_Author
Zealot
CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CHunter_Author ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Really wish Amazon would open an Australian Store. That should have been a priority over the German one.
CHunter_Author is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:57 AM   #10
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
[QUOTE If you like libraries, an ePub reader is probably better at this stage. I haven't done a full assessment of Australian libraries on Overdrive, but I understand the Singapore Library will allow international patrons. Apparently Kindle will offer library lending through Overdrive some time this year, but it will be U.S. only at the start. God knows when it will be available to Australians.

Regards
Caleb[/QUOTE]

Just check on the Overdrive website which devices are compatible. I got a reader that does epub specifically so that I would be able to borrow from libraries, but it's not compatible with Overdrive.
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 06:10 AM   #11
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
Just check on the Overdrive website which devices are compatible. I got a reader that does epub specifically so that I would be able to borrow from libraries, but it's not compatible with Overdrive.
Very good point.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:16 PM   #12
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

http://gutenberg.net.au/
http://epubebookeditions.com.au/
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:22 PM   #13
melmac
Wizard
melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.melmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS650, Sony T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHunter_Author View Post
Really wish Amazon would open an Australian Store. That should have been a priority over the German one.
I don't see how a local Amazon would help in terms of Ebooks ? other products sure but ebooks are quite easily purchased from the US store by Aussies and having a local Amazon won't change the Geo restricion issues right? Thats from a publisher level and Amazon having a local store won't change that so far as I can tell.

Apparently Amazon are looking at which markets to start stores up in and Australia is on the list along with many others hopefully the fact that they have just opened up a local data centre is a good sign but I still don't see how that will help ebook wise.
http://www.theaustralian.com.au/aust...-1226094633100
melmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 05:18 AM   #14
agent_clone
agent_clone began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I personally use kobo and books on board.

http://www.kobobooks.com
http://www.booksonboard.com

For books on board the best way only view books available in Australia is to register and set your country to Australia. When logged in it will then filter out books that are unavailable in Australia however if not logged in it will display all books that are available on the site (i.e. it also has the geographically restricted books).

I tend to use booksonboard to suss out books that may be available , log in see if they are if not then go look at kobobooks. This is because I think the navigation on kobobooks not necessarily the best. Often booksonboard is also cheaper than kobobooks however this is not always the case.

Also I personally went with a device that supported EPUB books, and Adobe DRM as I felt this would provide the most variety in stores to buy from. The Kindle somewhat locks you to Amazon (not completely but somewhat).

Last edited by agent_clone; 07-27-2011 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Creation of last paragraph
agent_clone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 07:37 AM   #15
dorkmania
dorkmania began at the beginning.

Device: none
Does anyone know if I can use the hopshopgo website to create a US address and buy ebooks restricted to the US through the website? I've checked kobobooks, booksonboard and many of the other websites suggested and they don't have the most of the books that I want
dorkmania is offline   Reply With Quote