Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 03:04 PM   #1
9641roger
9641roger began at the beginning.

Device: none
Kindle

As I approach my 70th birthday-my children are clubbing together to buy me a kindle 3 e reader.I have a good broadband connection with Virgin Media.I just want to use my kindle at home-so I am not interested in the 3g model.Can I use,download books and recharge the battery at home using the cheaper 3 version?

Last edited by 9641roger; 07-14-2011 at 03:09 PM.
9641roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:18 PM   #2
BoiseShan
Connoisseur
BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.BoiseShan is less competitive than you.

Device: Kindle
Hi there, 9641! And happy birthday!

We recently got my grandmother a Kindle for her 85th bday and she loves it! Neither of us splurged on the 3G model because (from what I understand) all 3G allows you to do is download or synch books via the 3G phone system. I've never been away from a wireless network when I've needed to do this, so I've never missed the option. My grandma and I both purchase and download books over the wireless connection without any issues. In order to recharge your Kindle, just connect it to either an electric outlet or your computer--no internet or phone connection needed.

So, long story short, to be honest, I don't know why you'd need the 3G!

Hope this helps and I hope you enjoy your new toy as much as I have!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:24 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9641roger View Post
I have a good broadband connection with Virgin Media.I just want to use my kindle at home-so I am not interested in the 3g model.
Do you have a WiFi router hooked up to that connection? If so the WiFi Kindle should work fine for you unless you want the 3G for when you're out and about.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
First, "Kindle" is not a very informative name for a post. You will get better responses if your post title gives people a clue what you are actually asking. All the questions in this forum are Kindle-related, so "Kindle" doesn't really tell us anything.

You didn't say whether you have wi-fi or not. If not, you will need to go somewhere with an open wi-fi connection to get the Collections feature enabled, at least.

If you don't have wi-fi, once the Kindle is registered, you can download to the computer, then attach the Kindle to the computer via USB, and copy the downloaded book(s) to the Kindle, which appears as an external drive on the pc.

You can charge via USB or via a wall plug. If you are not in the US, they don't send the USB to plug adapter, I believe, but I think you can buy one separately.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:26 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Can I use,download books and recharge the battery at home using the cheaper 3 version?
Yes, of course... and happy birthday!

Just keep in mind that the cheaper(est) Kindle 3 is "Ad supported." Which will have advertisements for screensavers and a small banner ad on the home page (along with getting special offers that may save you some money). So just remember that there are two Wifi-only models—the cheapest one comes with advertisements. Know the difference.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
orange!
Born to be wild
orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orange! ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle K3 wi-fi, Nexus 7 + Aldiko
Happy birthday!

Someone already asked the key question. Do you have or are you willing to get a wifi-enabled router attached to your internet connection?

Assuming that the answer is yes, and that you will be using your Kindle solely or mostly while at home, you might actually *prefer* wi-fi to 3g.

That's what happened to me. My original Kindle was 3g, but my K3 is wi-fi and it works a *lot* better for me because I have a very weak (sometimes nonexistent) cell signal at my house.
orange! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 05:52 PM   #7
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
First, "Kindle" is not a very informative name for a post. You will get better responses if your post title gives people a clue what you are actually asking. All the questions in this forum are Kindle-related, so "Kindle" doesn't really tell us anything.

You didn't say whether you have wi-fi or not. If not, you will need to go somewhere with an open wi-fi connection to get the Collections feature enabled, at least.

If you don't have wi-fi, once the Kindle is registered, you can download to the computer, then attach the Kindle to the computer via USB, and copy the downloaded book(s) to the Kindle, which appears as an external drive on the pc.

You can charge via USB or via a wall plug. If you are not in the US, they don't send the USB to plug adapter, I believe, but I think you can buy one separately.
gee, do you think you could give the guy a break? it's his first post here, and at almost 70, I'm willing to bet that this is one of his first forays into the online scene. I'm also willing to bet that 90 percent of what you just threw at him completely missed.

other than that...

welcome to the forums roger and happy birthday!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
9641roger
9641roger began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all your help;I don't have wi fi connection at home;but don't want to go "out and about" with it.Just read the free books and download ones from the kindle store.From what I can gather,the 3 will be adequate for my needs.I am sorry about the "thread title" I am new to this-put it down to old timers disease!!! But I am computer literate-I can also lift heavy boxes and answer the telephone!!!
9641roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
If you do not have WiFi at home then a 3g version would be the right choice. This is the one that you can use without even having a computer. An extra $50 for the 3g version is a bargain in that case. But first do check about the cell signal at your house as suggested above.

Congrats on your big seven o.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:50 PM   #10
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Many public libraries offer ebooks as well and Amazon has stated that Kindles will also be able to use library ebooks by the end of the year. So go for it!

And happy birthday. You'd be surprised at how many people here at MR are 70+

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:58 PM   #11
Ginwen
Addict
Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ginwen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch/IPad
Quote:
Thanks for all your help;I don't have wi fi connection at home;but don't want to go "out and about" with it.Just read the free books and download ones from the kindle store.From what I can gather,the 3 will be adequate for my needs.I am sorry about the "thread title" I am new to this-put it down to old timers disease!!! But I am computer literate-I can also lift heavy boxes and answer the telephone!!!
Without the 3G model and without wireless (and without going out and about to somewhere with free wireless) you'll need to download the books to your computer first, and then use the cable that comes with your kindle to transfer them to your kindle. That's probably obvious, but I couldn't from your post if you knew that.

By either adding wifi at home or getting the 3G model, you'll be able to add books to your kindle without actually connecting directly to your computer. It is not a big deal at all transfering the books from your computer to your kindle, it's just a convenience.
Ginwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:23 PM   #12
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
Quote:
But I am computer literate-I can also lift heavy boxes and answer the telephone!!!

Welcome.

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:38 PM   #13
chas0039
Sceptic
chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40chas0039 is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: rooted Nooks, retired. JetBook Lite, Kindle 3, 4, Kobo Nia, Libra H2O.
I'm not that much younger than you and I have been building computers since the 1970s. I have been collecting ebooks for over 10 years waiting for a decent ereader to come out. I started with a Jetbook due to the AA batteries and then I went through the nook because it supported epubs, a necessity for at least a few months longer for library access. The touch screen was a lot more frustrating than I was aware until I finally converted all my books to mobi and found the Kindle. Best reader I ever have found.

In any case, I wanted only reading, or so I thought. Once I got access to the internet through 3G, something that the nook decided to NOT offer, I found it was a fantastic addition and I would never go any other way. I love reading some news feed or book review and being able to click on the link to read the full article. Looking at a book review and then, in minutes, being able to reserve the book at my library, all on the Kindle, is just great. Plus you can download ebooks for free from ManyBooks for free.

In short, I would suggest getting the the new Kindle Special Offers at $139. It is just $25 more for the 3G access and the ads will not get to you at all. People of our age have probably developed a pretty good ability to ignore commercial messages, and it never interferes with your reading or with any internet access.

Once you get yours, make sure you check out the great selection of public domain books here and at ManyBooks.net. And keep an eye open for the addition of library lending through you local branch. It will require computer access, but it is amazing what is out there. My local library has added over 14,000 titles in the last 12 months. If you don't have local access, Philadelphia Public Library allows out state access for $15 per year and they have 4800 titles. You will have to wait until Adobe sets up books specifically for Kindle, something coming at year end.

Last edited by chas0039; 07-14-2011 at 07:53 PM.
chas0039 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Hey Roger - my Mom is over 70 and she's been using a Kindle for over a year now. She has two .. the older Kindle 2 and then the newer Kindle 3. Both of hers are 3G. She has a WiFi router in her home but I've really found it easier just to keep her on 3G than to try and get her to fiddle with WiFi passcodes on the Kindle.

If you still prefer the WiFi model and you don't want to set up a router, you can purchase books via your computer and then hook the Kindle to your computer with a cable and transfer the books. It sounds much more complicated than it is in actuality.

Welcome to MobileRead
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 08:09 PM   #15
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
gee, do you think you could give the guy a break? it's his first post here, and at almost 70, I'm willing to bet that this is one of his first forays into the online scene. I'm also willing to bet that 90 percent of what you just threw at him completely missed.

other than that...

welcome to the forums roger and happy birthday!
I agree. Whatever happened to treating an elder with some respect? Not every older person is computer savvy either. My mother is 68 and can't even figure out where the power button on my computer is (or so she tells me). I've always thought that the 3G model is more for if you do a lot of traveling. I have the wi-fi model myself and it works great with my modem and computer. I just go online via my netbook to Amazon or here at MR and either buy the book I want and tell it to download to my Kindle or download the title at MR and side load it via the cable. You do have to make sure the side loaded books are in the Documents folder or the won't show up even though they are there but they work well with the Kindle reader.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote