Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-30-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
alex3l
alex3l began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Faint Screen tiny horizontal lines

My wife & I have Sony readers.

My wife's PRS600 has developed a very faint screen. It is dim like when the reader is booting up. If I look closely I see light horizontal lines across the screen.

The books display, the pages turn, but the screen is faint because of the light lines. I note the same effect on the screen of my PRS600 when I turn it on and power up. These lines disappear after boot up is complete on mine.

I don't use the Sony bookstore. I just upload ebooks from Calibre. Sony telephone support did not seem to understand and just sent an email with two options, soft reset and hard reset. I tried the soft reset - no effect.

Appreciate suggestions. Thanks.
alex3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2010, 12:01 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3l View Post
My wife's PRS600 has developed a very faint screen. It is dim like when the reader is booting up. If I look closely I see light horizontal lines across the screen.

The books display, the pages turn, but the screen is faint because of the light lines. I note the same effect on the screen of my PRS600 when I turn it on and power up. These lines disappear after boot up is complete on mine.

Sony telephone support did not seem to understand and just sent an email with two options, soft reset and hard reset. I tried the soft reset - no effect.
First follow Sony's advice and perform a hard reset.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 02:44 PM   #3
alex3l
alex3l began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 600
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately hard reset X3 has failed to remove the faint horizontal screen lines. My wife and I leave in 5 days for a 2 week vacation. (That's why we got the readers, so we didn't have to carry a lot of books) We don't have time to send the device to Sony. Do you have any other suggestions for fixing the problem? Thanks very much.
alex3l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2010, 08:45 PM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex3l View Post
Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately hard reset X3 has failed to remove the faint horizontal screen lines. My wife and I leave in 5 days for a 2 week vacation. (That's why we got the readers, so we didn't have to carry a lot of books) We don't have time to send the device to Sony. Do you have any other suggestions for fixing the problem? Thanks very much.
It sounds like a hard error that will require Sony's intervention. You can try formatting internal memory (which would wipe all books off of the device) I don't see how it would help but stranger things have happened.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
faint, lines, prs600, screen problem