Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-31-2009, 05:12 PM   #1
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nokia 770 (fbreader)
(X)HTML Metadata

What metadata does Calibre support for (X)HTML input? Is there a setting somewhere? I couldn't find anything in the User Manual, but I may have missed it. My experiment with importing XHTML wasn't too effective.

It seems to be able to output such data well, though.

We're having a discussion of Sigil's support for Dublin Core metadata in the <head> of (X)HTML docs used as input sources here. Near the bottom is a list of possible DCTERMS that cover most useful metadata as they relate to book collections, and some outliers. There is a specific list of what Sigil currently supports here.

Zipped, single-file XHTML is my storage format of choice, as it should convert easily to pretty much anything. I also edit a lot of files into decently marked-up XHTML. It'd be nice to have Calibre recognize the info.

Thanks!

m a r
rogue_ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:37 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
IIRC the HTML metadata reader is optimized for the output of the ereader2html script as that is the most common use case.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:57 PM   #3
rogue_ronin
Banned
rogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-booksrogue_ronin has learned how to read e-books

Really?

I just imported 180 or so Doc Savage books from Blackmask, using the "Add books from directories, including sub-directories" option of Calibre. Did a fine job, but the title could only be grabbed from the filename. I deleted them, then wrote a bash script to rename all the files from the folder names (which had the full titles) and re-imported. Then a bulk metadata edit took care of most of the rest.

So, not terrible. And these books don't have the best choices of metadata or particularly stringent values eg:

Code:
<TITLE>THE MAN OF BRONZE</TITLE>
<META NAME="Author" CONTENT="A Doc Savage Adventure by Kenneth Robeson">
<META NAME="Description" CONTENT="Mystery, Suspense, History, Gothic, Literature, Books, Arts">
and the original filename was manbronze.htm. Still, it might be useful, especially in the future as things might get better tagged -- if apps support it.

Sort of a chicken-and-egg thing.

Thanks,

m a r
Old 12-31-2009, 09:24 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Hmmm maybe html metadata reading is broken, opena ticket and I'll take a look at it when I have some ntime.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:01 PM   #5
rogue_ronin
Banned

Sure thing.

Thanks,

m a r

EDIT: Done!

Last edited by rogue_ronin; 12-31-2009 at 10:31 PM.

Tags
dublin core, html, metadata, metadata import, xhtml