Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 11:16 PM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre 0.6.0 released

This is a continuation of the calibre 0.6 beta thread, so those of you that have outstanding issues with 0.6 can follow up here.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 11:34 PM   #2
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Oops, already posted before this thread started. Well, might as well post here, too. Two things. one, how much RAM is Calibre supposed to take up on average with .6? I just want to know so I can compare my results with the expected ones to see if there is a memory leak on my end.

Also, here is the post I put up earlier: When I try adding pdf's to the library, it takes quite awhile for the program to add the file. I assume it is looking for the metadata, because it is stuck on the "Adding Screen" at 0%.Previous versions such as 5.14 seemed to add the files much faster. *shrug* Could be just me. :P

Last edited by Ralob; 07-25-2009 at 01:00 AM.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 12:54 AM   #3
starrigger
Jeffrey A. Carver
starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.starrigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab Plus, Droid phone, Nook HD+
Just out of curiosity, why is it not possible to use LRF as an input format?
starrigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:27 AM   #4
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Kovid I reopened issue 2914 based on John's earlier comment I suspect he did not realize the unicode was valid and his fix was most likely to ignore invalid unicode (a good solution) but the unicode was valid and I put additional info in the description.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 01:33 AM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
Jeff, calibre's conversion process has two parts the dissecting (file input) of a file format and the creating of a file format (file output). While calibre has had the creating of an LRF done long ago he has not got around to the dissecting of the LRF format. His lrf2lrs has been in alpha(pre beta) for some time now so I suspect he has had little time in creating a robust enough solution to dissect LRF.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-25-2009, 02:02 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@Ralob: I haven't actually looked at memory consumption in windows. 0.6 will use more memory than 0.5 because it keeps a few worker processes in the background.

Adding PDFs is slow because calibre now tries to read the metadata from them. You can disable this via Preferences->Plugins

@starrigger: Basically I've never got around to implementing LRF -> HTML conversion. That's all that's needed to make conversion of LRF possible.

@=X=: Cool, now that I will be make weekly releases again, you should see your bugs fixed quickly.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:17 AM   #7
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
I have some ideas regarding user experience and interaction. Would it be OK if I presented a rather extensive post with some ideas on how to make Calibre a more streamlined and cohesive user experience? I think at current it's a great set of tools, but it involves more learning on the part of the user than it should need to.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 02:31 AM   #8
new
K3, K4B, KDX, KFHD, PW1&2
new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.new ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4B, KDX3G, KFHD, PW1, PW2
Apple User and .pdf conversion update

How do I remove the older version of Calibre on an Apple? I have never done that before, doesn't the program leave preferences or something behind if I drag the program into trash?

Also, the only reason I would want to upgrade is if when I convert from .pdf to .lrf the headers would be removed, instead of the headers appearing in strange places. Is that changed in this update? Otherwise I am fine with the older version. Yes, bells and whistles would be nice too, but I don't like updating versions much. Thanks!

It is a nice program.
new is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:10 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Some comments to the What's new in calibre 0.6? page:

I count 18 formats... maybe saying "dozens of e-book formats" is too much (Is OEB really not supported as input format? I'd have said it's a simple enough format for that.)

In the screenshot for the wizard, it says "Booken" instead of "Bookeen". And the magic wand looks stretched vertically.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 05:39 AM   #10
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I see you've got Biggles in your library. It must be more than 50 years since I've read one of the books in that series.

Congratulations on what looks so far to be a marvellous program.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:53 AM   #11
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Kovid I reopened issue 2914 based on John's earlier comment I suspect he did not realize the unicode was valid and his fix was most likely to ignore invalid unicode (a good solution) but the unicode was valid and I put additional info in the description.

=X=
Thanks =X=, I realized it it was detecting the numbers after the unicode character once I got a look at those screen shots of how it was supposed to render. I've closed it out and according to Kovid the fix made it into 0.6.0.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Ralob
Connoisseur
Ralob began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2, PW4
Thanks for the tip Kovid. I disabled the PDF metareader plugin and everything it works perfect.
Ralob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:19 AM   #13
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Right no! Thanks for all your hard work
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 10:22 AM   #14
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by starrigger View Post
This would be an excellent enhancement -- and I look forward to it.

Last edited by Elsi; 07-25-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 11:07 AM   #15
sherryk_us
writer/reader
sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sherryk_us ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony prs 950, Sony prs 505 and REB 1200
I just upgraded to 6.0 on my mac. Everything seems good except when I go to edit metadata and add a new file format (html, imp) the program freezes and I have to force quit. Is there any way to fix it? I think I accidentally replaced the old version which worked in this respect when I installed 6.0.

I haven't tried importing a new book yet. I'll have to see if that freezes things up too.

BTW, I have a huge number of books in the library. Not sure if that makes a difference here.

Thanks, Sherry
sherryk_us is offline   Reply With Quote