Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #1
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Reading recommendations - make it stop!

Dear Kobo:
How many times do I have to mark "Not Interested" on one of your recommendations before you believe that I am not interested? I am beginning to think that my marking a book as something I am not interested in reading is making you believe you need to try harder to push that very same book on me. Please stop the insanity before I really go insane!
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 03:24 PM   #2
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
It's like unsubscribing to spam, it only confirms that you are interested in the book.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 06:25 PM   #3
Richard Moody
Connoisseur
Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.Richard Moody is faster than slow light.

Device: Ipad Air and Ipad Mini with retina (using Marvin)
Yhamm - I quite agree!!
Richard Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 08:24 PM   #4
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
And they just won't stop pushing that Fifty Shades book. I have clicked "not interested" umpteen times and it goes away for a day or two and then like a bad penny, it always comes back.
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
And they just won't stop pushing that Fifty Shades book. I have clicked "not interested" umpteen times and it goes away for a day or two and then like a bad penny, it always comes back.
Only someone interested in 50 Shades of Grey would deny being interested...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #6
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
If you haven't been doing it through the desktop, I'd've expected the advertising recommendations to only update when you sync your device or app. Or have you been syncing and it still hasn't changed?
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 10:50 PM   #7
dakini
not "it"
dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dakini ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 7th gen
funny, i've actually read the 50 shades books, and it's never asked me about those ... but man, it seems to think i want every grisham, patterson, etc thriller type book ... i doubt i've ever read any of those, ever!

it makes me certain i'll never use a matchmaking service Kobo ever develops.
dakini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:36 AM   #8
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
If you haven't been doing it through the desktop, I'd've expected the advertising recommendations to only update when you sync your device or app. Or have you been syncing and it still hasn't changed?
I go through and "delete" the recommendations on both the website and the desktop app and they keep coming back. Like the cat...
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:44 AM   #9
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
I've never used the website or desktop app... I've only used my Touch. Clicking Not Interested there got rid of 50 Shades and it's never come back.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #10
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Try marking it as read with 1 star. That should stop it showing up.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 12:57 PM   #11
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
It's like unsubscribing to spam, it only confirms that you are interested in the book.
That would be funny if it wasn't so annoyingly true!
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:17 PM   #12
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogle View Post
Try marking it as read with 1 star. That should stop it showing up.
I'll give that a try.................
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 07:54 PM   #13
Breid
Zealot
Breid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really niceBreid is just really nice

Device: Kobo Aura HD; Kobo Glo; KPW
Quote:
Thankfully that book has never shown up on my recommended reads - if it did, I would incinerate my Kobo
Breid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 12:04 PM   #14
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
It forgets all my reading recommendations.

I've tried
Not Interested
Already Read It
Rate This Book

Nothing seems to stick
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 05:37 PM   #15
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I really wanted the Kobo recommendations to work. I think I am one of the few who actually wouldn't mind having recommendations - if they work.

Amazon's recommendations are excellent and I regularly find interesting new options there. I especially like how you can remove a book (perhaps you bought it for someone else - perhaps you hated it - whatever) so that it no longer influences the recommendations. Once I tell Amazon that I have already read a book it is NEVER recommended to me again.
I don't ususally praise Amazon but they have done this right!

Sadly Kobo's system can't even remember the books I have told it I already own. The first time I saw the recommendations I thought GREAT - they know what I like! At least 75% of the books were already in my library. I thought it wasn't bad as a starting list of recommendations but I didn't realise that these were the only recommendations I would ever get. After telling them multiple times that I have already read most of these books they keep shoving the same stuff at me.

Seriously what is the point? They have been recommending the same 20 or so books all year - I already own them - I've clicked the already read button hoping to get something new - but no - it's the same old books...

For me a complete waste of a potentially helpful feature.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote