Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 08-27-2012, 04:44 PM   #511
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: O_o
I can't seem to get my k5 into usb recovery mode.
I try holding the power button then pressing/holding the "magic key" but the kindle just turns off.
Might be pressing the wrong things at the wrong time?
it's a Touch demo unit if that matters.
help please..

Last edited by (-_-); 08-27-2012 at 05:11 PM.
(-_-) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #512
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by (-_-) View Post
I try holding the power button then pressing/holding the "magic key" but the kindle just turns off.
help please..
Is the battery fully charged? ^-^
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-27-2012, 05:44 PM   #513
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
help please..
Demo units work the same as "normal" units. How do you know that it is "off"? You cannot trust the LED status on a bricked kindle. USB Downloader mode, and fastboot mode, do not modify the eink display. For the K5, do this:

1. Plug into host PC USB.
2. Hold power button until power LED off.
3. Press Home button.
4. Release the Power button.
5. Release the Home button.
6. The host PC should see it as a Freescale USB device (different names for different models, not "Kindle").

This has been documented many times.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 05:42 PM   #514
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'(-_-) knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Question

Thank you for the relpies
I'm not sure what was going on there, but I got it passed that part.

I'm trying to follow silver18's USB debricking for noobs (K4/K5)
I have Windows Vista 32 bit.

...and I'm stuck again on step 7:

The error shows up like he says it would when I try to install
kindle-fastboot.inf as the driver.
But it isn't clear to me what he says to do with libusb-win32-bin and libusb0.sys

Last edited by (-_-); 08-28-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #515
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Are you running a 64-bit windows? If so, did you tell it to allow unsigned drivers when you booted it?

The .inf file is just a text file. It also requires other files from libusb-win32. You may need to tell the "Found New Hardware" device driver installer where to find these files (i.e. do not let it automatically search for the drivers).

Or you may need to create your own .inf file using the tools in the libusb-win32 package. The one that I provided was just an example that worked for me.
Advert
Old 08-29-2012, 01:44 PM   #516
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
One more mirror for K5 images

Ok, here's another mirror containing *ALL* currently relevant images for K5: http://ixtab.tk/kindle-touch-images/

In addition, it also contains an update file which, if installed at the right time (meaning: from a jailbroken and working Kindle Touch), will install the diags+ssh image. Thus ideally, 99% of the debricking can entirely avoid the Windows + drivers nightmare that the current solutions require.

Here's the README, copied straight from the online file:
Spoiler:

This is pretty much a one-stop shop for Kindle Touch debricking images.

The best thing about these files is that if they are used properly, they will almost
always allow you to debrick your Kindle WITHOUT having to resort to fastboot mode,
which can be a horrible PITA because of Windows device drivers. Just make sure that
you install the SSH-enabled diags in the beginning (i.e., *before* things went wrong),
and you should be on the safe side 99% of the time.

You'll find the following files here:
- kt_5.0.*diags*.gz : Diags kernel and partition, for flashing with fastboot. (1)
- update_k5_diags+ssh.bin: the same thing, but as an update package. (2)
- kt_5.*main*.gz: Main Kernels and partitions, for version 5.0.0 and 5.1.2. (3)

(1) : You may need these files if your Kindle is completely, utterly, bricked, and
if the only way to get it back to life is via fastboot.

(2) : You can use this file if your *diags* partition is bricked, but your main
partition still works. This update package will restore the diags kernel, and
partition, to a "known working and usable state". Note that this package must
be installed from a working and jailbroken main partition.

(3) : These files can be installed from a working diags partition, or (for kernels
ONLY) via fastboot. The fastboot way is explained in the debricking guide,
the "diags way" is explained below.

THE EASIEST WAY TO USE THESE FILES
==================================

1. While your Kindle is *STILL WORKING*, make sure that you install the diags partition
with SSH. This is as simple as installing the jailbreak, then installing the update_*.bin
package mentioned above (using the Settings -> Update your Kindle menu entry).

2. Once you get your Kindle into a bricked state, don't despair. If you have the above diags
image installed, it'll normally be working again within 10 minutes. While your Kindle is
plugged into your computer, it should show up as a USB device. Copy the following three files
to the Kindle:
- ENABLE_DIAGS
- kt_5.1.2-kernel_main.gz
- kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img.gz
You can of course use other files as well, just make sure that you choose a kernel and partition
for the same firmware version (and for the main partition, obviously), otherwise you may
experience problems later on. Then restart the Kindle. It will restart in diags mode.

3. Select the following menu entries in this order: N - U - Z - X. Wait about 10 seconds, and
your Kindle will be recognized as a network device. Configure your *computer* to use the
following IP settings for the network: IP address: 192.168.15.201, netmask 255.255.255.0.

4. Connect to your Kindle via SSH. The Kindle's IP address will be 192.168.15.244. Use username
"root", password "mario" (type both without the quotes) to log in. Note: It makes sense to
read the noob's debricking guide (https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=180789)
at this point, because the following commands require you to understand what you are doing.

5. Overwrite the main partition and/or kernel. In most cases, you will only need to overwrite
the partition. You will normally only need to overwrite the kernel if you want to change to
another firmware revision, or if something is hopelessly screwed up.

* TO OVERWRITE THE MAIN PARTITION:

A) if the partition image is gzipped (ends with .gz):
zcat /mnt/us/kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096

B) if the partition image is NOT gzipped:
dd if=/mnt/us/kt_5.1.2-mmcblk0p1-main+jb+kjb+ssh.img of=/dev/mmcblk0p1 bs=4096

* TO OVERWRITE THE MAIN KERNEL:

NOTE: MAKE ABSOLUTELY SURE THAT YOU USE THE BELOW "of","bs", and "seek" parameters
FOR dd, and that you use the correct method.
Otherwise, your Kindle *WILL* end up being FUBAR.

A) if the kernel image is gzipped (ends with .gz):
zcat /mnt/us/kt_5.1.2-kernel_main.gz | dd of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65

B) if the kernel image is NOT gzipped:
dd if=/mnt/us/kt_5.1.2-kernel_main of=/dev/mmcblk0 bs=4096 seek=65

* IF YOU KEEP GETTING THE "Your Kindle Needs Repair" MESSAGE:

This is only needed if the device still doesn't boot after "normal" debricking.

echo 0 > /var/local/upstart/lab126_gui.restarts

* TO RESET ALL SETTINGS:

This is not normally required, but may be needed for severely bricked devices.
My suggestion is to NOT do it, except if your device still doesn't boot after
re-flashing the partition and kernel, and fixing the "repair" count.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/mmcblk0p3 bs=4K count=1K

6. After the repairs, issue the following to reboot your device in main mode:

rm /mnt/us/ENABLE_DIAGS
idme -d --bootmode main
reboot

Last edited by ixtab; 10-05-2012 at 02:17 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 02:12 PM   #517
geekmaster

Awesome! This is a great insurance policy for those who have not yet bricked their kindles. Let's hope that people use it. But then, some of us did not get around to backing up our /dev/mmcblk0 when we had the chance.

I still think a data.tar.gz (or newer .stgz method) that drops diags /usr/local is in order, for "boy stuck under the tree" cases.

P.S. I added your "relevant K5 images" mirror link to the "forensic images" links in the first post, and to the bottom of the "forensic images" pastebin. Perhaps we should mention this "pre-brick insurance" hack at the top of the first post as well... This hack needs a name, so what do you want to CALL it?

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-29-2012 at 02:23 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 02:52 PM   #518
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Exclamation

Ok, I think I've made some progress. (I think)

^^^ those are his instructions^^^

But I don't see anywhere to type what he says.
Here is my screen: (No IP or subnet mask?)

Old 08-29-2012, 03:12 PM   #519
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
Awesome! This is a great insurance policy for those who have not yet bricked their kindles. Let's hope that people use it. But then, some of us did not get around to backing up our /dev/mmcblk0 when we had the chance.

I still think a data.tar.gz (or newer .stgz method) that drops diags /usr/local is in order, for "boy stuck under the tree" cases.

P.S. I added your "relevant K5 images" mirror link to the "forensic images" links in the first post, and to the bottom of the "forensic images" pastebin. Perhaps we should mention this "pre-brick insurance" hack at the top of the first post as well... This hack needs a name, so what do you want to CALL it?
Hmmm... ok, let's start with the simple stuff first:

the "images lists" are getting confusing. People are already trying to download the wrong things, and asking for alternatives. I think there should be one list per Kindle model, with only verified links (cf. broken kernels, dead links). I can only speak for the K5 here, but that would mean something like a single list "K5 images", where there are:
- links to usable K5 diags images. This isn't too hard, because there are really only 2 images required (working kernel, and working partition with SSH). Plus, of course, mirrors of those two images. Speaking for myself, this is the ge.tt links for the 5.0.x diags, and the ixtab.tk link. There may be others though.
- links to usable K5 main images. We had already discussed this via PM, and I thought that we came to the conclusion that it only makes sense (at this time) to keep 5.0.0 (earliest) and 5.1.2 (latest) images. Anything in between just doesn't make sense. For these, again, we should ATM have (at least) two working mirrors: the mediafire files that you created from the files I sent you, and the mirror I just added. Of course, again, there may be other working links...

The same should be true for other models, IMO: one list per model, with only relevant downloads (earliest/latest FW, verified to work) and verified mirrors. Yes, I realize that this is quite a bit of work to do, but maybe some folks would volunteer to check the available material. In any case, it will lead to a much more organized structure (and ultimately less trouble, because people will directly find the right files).

Second point: "boy already hanging on the tree" ( or rather stuck under it: yes, definitely also a good idea. But it'll have to be created by someone... )

Third point: yes, I like the name of "insurance", because that's exactly what it is. So why not... just call it "pre-brick insurance".
Old 08-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #520
geekmaster

I have almost 1,600 PM messages. I cannot remember them all, but I do recall the "only oldest and newest" discussion now that you brought it up.

I would love for somebody to send me a "cleaned up" copy of the pastebin, so I can replace it. I am very busy, especially after spending too much time in the "wifi FUD / tinfoil hat / bacon ice cream / redwood tree" thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189286

I will add a "pre-brick insurance" link to the first post then, and somebody should add it to the index wikis as well. You should add that in a title in your announcement post above (in place of "One more mirror for K5 images"), I think...

It is always a good idea to keep things as simple as possible, which requires occasional pruning as things grow and mutate around here. Thanks for the suggestions.

Last edited by geekmaster; 08-29-2012 at 03:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2012, 03:26 PM   #521
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Ok, I think I've made some progress. (I think)
^^^ those are his instructions^^^

But I don't see anywhere to type what he says.
Here is my screen: (No IP or subnet mask?)
Try the "General", "Details", or "Advanced" tab, too. And try to matchmake the instructions to what you see. Windows loves to make things complicated by hiding them behind another "Advanced" tab or "Options" button, especially if you are using a different version from the one that the instructions refer to.
Old 08-29-2012, 04:30 PM   #522
(-_-)
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Smile

Thank you

I found more options in the control panel.

My K5 demo unit now appears to be a fully functional k5

Thanks for all the things you guys are doing!!!
Old 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #523
ixtab
(offline)

@ (-_-) : glad it worked out.

Still...: q.e.d? Gotta "love" Windows, huh?
Old 08-29-2012, 05:36 PM   #524
eureka
but forgot what it's like
eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eureka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
- links to usable K5 main images. We had already discussed this via PM, and I thought that we came to the conclusion that it only makes sense (at this time) to keep 5.0.0 (earliest) and 5.1.2 (latest) images. Anything in between just doesn't make sense.
If 5.0.0 is kept in historical purposes, I'd like to suggest a complement to this strategy: keep also backup of all official update bundles.
eureka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 05:48 PM   #525
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka View Post
If 5.0.0 is kept in historical purposes, I'd like to suggest a complement to this strategy: keep also backup of all official update bundles.
Hmmm... isn't Amazon providing these already? Or are you saying that we should mirror the Amazon updates, because they might drop them at some time in the future?

Tags
debricking