Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-19-2011, 02:59 PM   #1
ml55
ml55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Syncing books, highlights, and notes

Two questions:

1. I just got a Kindle Fire, and Amazon (of course) refuses to back-up any highlights or notes from books that one didn't purchase from amazon.com.

Since highlights and notes are the most valuable piece of the book, I need the highlights and notes from all my non-Amazon-purchased books to be backed up somewhere.

I'm wondering if Calibre either backs up highlights and notes currently or plans on doing so in the very near-future.

2. It seems that Calibre doesn't actually "sync" books. They just allow you to manually drag books from your ebook device to your computer and vice versa. Am I missing something here? Why not just create a "sync" button when your device is attached?

Thank you...
ml55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 07:49 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ml55 View Post
I'm wondering if Calibre either backs up highlights and notes currently or plans on doing so in the very near-future.
Not currently and I have no idea if this is on the todo list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ml55 View Post
2. It seems that Calibre doesn't actually "sync" books. They just allow you to manually drag books from your ebook device to your computer and vice versa. Am I missing something here? Why not just create a "sync" button when your device is attached?
First you should not be dragging books between calibre and your ebook device. Use the send to device button, otherwise the metadata might not be updated and any plugboards you create will not function.

What would you sync? The majority of users don't want their entire collection sync'd to their device. However syncing a smaller user defined subset would be useful. Check out the Reading List plugin it might have what you're looking for.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 01:29 PM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
i use Sony & have read in other threads that retrieving/backing up notes from that is a nightmare.

The concept of being able to pull notes/annotations into calibre library from e-reader is very attractive , but may not be that easy to code.

I think the showstopper will be how notes are linked to book; i do know that if i edit a book in sigil & resend to sony then the notes no longer sync & I get invalid page errors.

AFAIK these is no spec for how to maintain book notes/annotations & thus no obvious way for these to survive book edits ? ideally the notes would have to be stored "inside" the book
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:43 AM   #4
ml55
ml55 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire
Update

dwanthny, when I said 'sync', I meant highlights and notes since they could be updated often.

That said, I just found a fantastic program (www.klippingskollector.com), but the developer doesn't seem to be active anymore.

A Klippings Kollector / Calibre merger would be huuuge for the reading community.

Just a thought.
ml55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:22 PM   #5
sadievan
Wizard
sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sadievan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, iPhone, Kindle Fire HD 6
A while back someone posted about a program they made to backup your clippings file from the kindle.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...9&postcount=20

Carol
sadievan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert