Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: May 2011 Mobile Read Book Club Vote
1984 by George Orwell 22 24.72%
The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde 4 4.49%
Call of the Wild by Jack London 6 6.74%
Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 23 25.84%
Personal Recollections of Joan of Arc by Mark Twain 4 4.49%
War of the Worlds by H.G. Wells 7 7.87%
Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra 4 4.49%
Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey 8 8.99%
The Age of Innocence by Edith Wharton 7 7.87%
The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith 4 4.49%
Voters: 89. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-24-2011, 05:52 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've read 1984 and to be honest, it feels old and dated. Cast your vote for something that still works today. Something that does not feel old. That's not a book out of time.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 05:55 PM   #17
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I voted for Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey, as I've always fancied trying one of his, and I've read most of the others on the list (1984 about 4 times, and the Diary of a Nobody only last week).
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #18
beppe
Grand Sorcerer
beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beppe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle3, Ipod4, IPad2
I encourage every kind member that has not voted yet to do so for

The Diary of a Nobody by George Grossmith and Weedon Grossmith.

It is a great pleasure to read it and to enjoy the easy, light and charming humor of this fresh comedy.
Enough with the dark projections of a future already past.
Enough with the sure bad end wanderings of tormented souls in the freezes of decadent Russia ...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2011-04-25 at 12.34.51 AM.png
Views:	425
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	70443
beppe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 06:43 PM   #19
bobertson
bobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've read 1984 and to be honest, it feels old and dated. Cast your vote for something that still works today. Something that does not feel old. That's not a book out of time.
I've never really thought of contemporaneity as a factor in determining whether a book is worth my time or not. That seems like a pretty limiting criteria if you ask me. In terms of the quality of the prose writing (however vague that sounds), 1984 is up there with the best that I've ever read, so I have to recommend it.
bobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:16 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobertson View Post
I've never really thought of contemporaneity as a factor in determining whether a book is worth my time or not. That seems like a pretty limiting criteria if you ask me. In terms of the quality of the prose writing (however vague that sounds), 1984 is up there with the best that I've ever read, so I have to recommend it.
The reason I feel it's a good idea to read the most modern sounding book in the list is that in that case, The War of the Worlds would win (as it should).
Advert
Old 04-24-2011, 07:56 PM   #21
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
I voted for Riders of the Purple Sage by Zane Grey, as I've always fancied trying one of his, and I've read most of the others on the list (1984 about 4 times, and the Diary of a Nobody only last week).
Thanks orlok!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:12 PM   #22
bobertson
bobertson began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
The reason I feel it's a good idea to read the most modern sounding book in the list is that in that case, The War of the Worlds would win (as it should).
You make a compelling case. I wish I could recast my vote now.
bobertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #23
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Go Anna! Go Anna! Go Anna!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #24
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Are we stuck at 34 votes!?!
Nah. This is like ebay, everyone waits til the last minute to vote for the winner/leader .... which will be Anna!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Go Anna! Go Anna! Go Anna!
You left out the word AWAY.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-24-2011 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:50 PM   #26
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Anna is closing the gap! Hey, if that wins, I plan to count it as 2 for my "100 in 2011" list. Maybe.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #27
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Nah. This is like ebay, everyone waits til the last minute to vote for the winner/leader .... which will be Anna!
Quote:
You left out the word AWAY.
I'm actually hoping for Anna, or better yet, The Age of Innocence, to over take 1984. This is only because my first choice, War of the Worlds, seems to have no chance of winning.

I just really, really don't want to read 1984. In fact, I will probably skip this month and read War of the Worlds anyway, if it does win.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:52 PM   #28
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Uh Oh! darth Tux wants the space book!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #29
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Anna is closing the gap! Hey, if that wins, I plan to count it as 2 for my "100 in 2011" list. Maybe.
I'd vote for that!
Old 04-24-2011, 08:53 PM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
I'm actually hoping for Anna, or better yet, The Age of Innocence, to over take 1984. This is only because my first choice, War of the Worlds, seems to have no chance of winning.

I just really, really don't want to read 1984. In fact, I will probably skip this month and read War of the Worlds anyway, if it does win.
Well, vote early, vote often!