Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 07-22-2009, 09:36 AM   #76
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
PS I've found that Mobipocket often does not bold or size headings correctly when the anchor is after the hn tag, hence the comment. Is this problem overcome with XHTML 1.1?

Regards, Alex
As stated before, this is a pecularity associated with Mobipocket and can be best adapted for anchor links to Chapter headings to start on a new page with pagebreak HTML <h1>...<h6> tags:
Code:
<a style="page-break-before: always;" name="CHAPTER_I" id="CHAPTER_I"></a>
<h2>CHAPTER I</h2>

but not:

<h2 style="page-break-before: always;"><a name="CHAPTER_I" id="CHAPTER_I"></a>CHAPTER I</h2> 

and I can't recall if this works as well:

<h2 style="page-break-before: always;" name="CHAPTER_I" id="CHAPTER_I">CHAPTER I</h2>
Note that the first fragment allows the anchor tag to have the page-break attribute while retaining the following header formatting when "jumping" back as HarryT said.

The use of the name and id is my attempt to allow for a transition from HTML 3.2 to XMHTL 1.1.

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #77
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
The same thing happens in BD when using Endnotes. The <a name=""> must be moved outside the <div>.
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:59 AM   #78
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Code:
<h2 style="page-break-before: always;" name="CHAPTER_I" id="CHAPTER_I">CHAPTER I</h2>
Placing the id attribute inside the h2 tag is similar to how MobiCreator makes its TOC.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 AM   #79
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Placing the id attribute inside the h2 tag is similar to how MobiCreator makes its TOC.
Yeah, and it's the interaction between the "page-break-before" property and the "id" (and "name") link that is somewhat troublesome with Mobipocket readers.

I rely solely on the Windows software Reader and can't vouch for it's behaviour on an actual ebook device.

Of the three previously listed alternatives, which ones DEFINITELY work when jumping back to the Chapter heading?

Last edited by nrapallo; 07-22-2009 at 11:08 AM. Reason: typo
Old 07-22-2009, 11:22 AM   #80
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Yeah, and it's the interaction between the "page-break-before" property and the "id" (and "name") link that is somewhat troublesome with Mobipocket readers.

I rely solely on the Windows software Reader and can't vouch for it's behaviour on an actual ebook device.

Of the three previously listed alternatives, which ones DEFINITELY work when jumping back to the Chapter heading?
The only one I've ever used is the separate page break tag. It works fine, so I never looked for a replacement.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 02:18 AM   #81
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
The Mobi-specific "<mbp:pagebreak>" tag definitely works. This is what I use in all my books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 03:02 AM   #82
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Not really, I found it the hard way (the ePUB validator said that "name" was forbidden). The changes from XHTML 1.0 strict can be found here:

http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/changes.html
Thanks. I'm in the throes of changing the template XHTML 1.0 to 1.1, and checking with the W3C validator service. I guess I'll find out the same way.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 08:09 AM   #83
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Mobi-specific "<mbp: pagebreak>" tag definitely works. This is what I use in all my books.
If I were to use your finished .prc ebook as the source for my ebook conversion into different formats via calibre and/or Mobi2IMP, then I won't need to be overly-concerned with what's coded within your .html used to create that .prc.

However, if I was using your .html to create my various ebook formats, then I would need to somehow convert any and all mobi-specific tags into their html equivalent. Which begs the question, why insert them in the first place when html code equivalants exist? I mean, using CSS it is a simple task to add to the <head> section of the .html, the following style declaration:
Code:
<style type="text/css">
  h2 { page-break-before: always; }
  .pb { page-break-before: always; }
</style>
then any and all <h2> tags will have page-breaks added to them. Or using classes just insert <div class="pb" /> instead of <mbp: pagebreak>. At worst, for the CSS-challenged , then just insert the in-line page-break style <div style="page-break-before: always" /> instead.

I know the REB1100 uses <hr size=0> or <hr NEW-PAGE> as it's page-break tags and the .imp format uses <pb> as it's shortcut, but would never use them for html code meant to be used for other ebook formats.
Old 07-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #84
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Hi Nick,

Purely because I don't know a better way, I'm afraid.

As you know, I use BD as my book editor, and BD inserts an <HR> to mark a page break. The way that I create my Mobi books is to export the BD book as HTML, and then do a series of global search and replace operations, one of which is to replace "<hr>" by "<mbp:pagebreak>". I then feed the resulting HTML to Mobi Creator.

If you can suggest an alternate "replacement" for the <hr> tag that I could do to force page breaks, I'll be happy to change my process.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:02 AM   #85
nrapallo

Quote:
Hi Nick,

Purely because I don't know a better way, I'm afraid.

As you know, I use BD as my book editor, and BD inserts an <HR> to mark a page break. The way that I create my Mobi books is to export the BD book as HTML, and then do a series of global search and replace operations, one of which is to replace "<hr>" by "<mbpagebreak>". I then feed the resulting HTML to Mobi Creator.

If you can suggest an alternate "replacement" for the <hr> tag that I could do to force page breaks, I'll be happy to change my process.
Sure, Harry, instead of <hr> I would just use
Code:
<div style="page-break-before: always" />
I suggest that because I know BD uses <div>'s but you could also use <p style="page-break-before: always" />. Note the self terminating "/" allows this to be XHTML compliant too and avoids the need for a </div> or </p>.

Now, I can't test which works best on an actual ebook reader (don't own a mobipocket capable one) so experiment which one works (better) for you.
Old 07-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #86
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thank you very much for the advice, Nick. I'll try that and let you know the outcome!
Old 07-23-2009, 09:26 AM   #87
nrapallo

Quote:
Thank you very much for the advice, Nick. I'll try that and let you know the outcome!
You're welcome.
Old 07-24-2009, 07:44 PM   #88
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Sure, Harry, instead of <hr> I would just use
Code:
<div style="page-break-before: always" />
I suggest that because I know BD uses <div>'s but you could also use <p style="page-break-before: always" />. Note the self terminating "/" allows this to be XHTML compliant too and avoids the need for a </div> or </p>.

Now, I can't test which works best on an actual ebook reader (don't own a mobipocket capable one) so experiment which one works (better) for you.
Nick, Do you mean for this to replace the <HR> (???) or to modify the chapter headings?
Old 07-24-2009, 08:03 PM   #89
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
Nick, Do you mean for this to replace the <HR> (???) or to modify the chapter headings?
I guess it's meant to replace <hr> and signify a page-break is warranted there instead.

It won't display anything in a web browser, but on an ebook reader, it will force a new page there.
Old 07-25-2009, 07:41 AM   #90
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
I guess it's meant to replace <hr> and signify a page-break is warranted there instead.

It won't display anything in a web browser, but on an ebook reader, it will force a new page there.

Thanks, Nick. I'll let you know what happens.

Off the subject. When will IMP be included in Calibre?