Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2010, 06:49 PM   #1
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Deleting Collections Problem

For some reason I can delete Collections on my PC with the Reader Library but cannot delete them on my PRS-900. I tried with Sync but it didn't work.

Any ideas how to do this?
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
You have to click the little triangle next to "Reader" in reader library to drop down the collections list. Then you should be able to right click the collection and select the delete option. The books inside won't delete, just the collection folder.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-24-2010, 09:42 AM   #3
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Not in PRS 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by banjobama View Post
You have to click the little triangle next to "Reader" in reader library to drop down the collections list. Then you should be able to right click the collection and select the delete option. The books inside won't delete, just the collection folder.
I can do that in Reader Library on my PC but NOT on my PRS 900.
Old 07-24-2010, 09:52 AM   #4
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post
I can do that in Reader Library on my PC but NOT on my PRS 900.
Right. If the PRS-900 system is the same as the PRS-600 system, and I think it is, you can't do it directly on the device. You have to use Reader Library or Calibre.

Or do you mean you deleted the collection but it still shows on the Reader?
Old 07-25-2010, 02:08 PM   #5
jswinden
Nameless Being

banjobama is correct in that you cannot create/delete Collections directly within the PRS-900. You must use the Sony Reader Library which sucks or Calibre which is somewhat cumbersome. I'm not sure what the Sync function actually does, but I accidentally used it once and wound up with a mess I can best describe as scrambled eggs. That is probably because I had both a 900 and a 300 and I think it tried to sync them together even though I had different Collection names on them. Also, NEVER run Calibre and Sony Reader Library at the same time while your Sony Reader is attached to the computer. That was the biggest mess I ever had to clean up. I pretty much had to clean off everything from my 300 and start over from scratch. I had left calbre running by accident, though I only used it to convert a book. I then opened the Sony Reader Library and tried to send books to the 300. I'll never do that again!

Last edited by jswinden; 07-25-2010 at 02:11 PM.
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #6
sirmaru
Wizard

More information

Quote:
Right. If the PRS-900 system is the same as the PRS-600 system, and I think it is, you can't do it directly on the device. You have to use Reader Library or Calibre.

Or do you mean you deleted the collection but it still shows on the Reader?
I can delete Collections on my PC with Reader Library. When I try to do it on the PRS 900 with Reader Library open, a message is sent that it cannot be deleted directly, only through the Reader Library and then synced.

I have deleted the books under the erroneous collections but the Collections stay on my PRS 900.

I had upgraded my PC and maybe those frozen Collections had to be deleted with the old PC. It appears I am stuck with them now.

I saw this in the Reader Help: "The synchronized content can be deleted only on a computer that has synchronized the content with the Reader device or the compatible memory card. Synchronized content cannot be deleted on another computer. "

Thus, I am stuck with those old Collections permanently.

Last edited by sirmaru; 07-30-2010 at 10:25 AM.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:39 PM   #7
banjobama
Busy Read'n

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmaru View Post

I have deleted the books under the erroneous collections but the Collections stay on my PRS 900.
If you delete all the books, the folder will remain on the Reader. Did you right click and delete the collection in Reader library?
Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM   #8
sirmaru
Wizard

Tried and failed

Quote:
If you delete all the books, the folder will remain on the Reader. Did you right click and delete the collection in Reader library?
I did right click in Reader Library but I got an error message which said it could only be deleted by syncing it.

See my prior post. Only the original PC which created the collection can delete it. I can delete the books but not the collection. I gave away that original PC. I have a new one now.
Old 07-30-2010, 10:14 PM   #9
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Get calibre.

Load the books from your 900 into calibre's library.

Reformat your 900.

Transfer your books back to your 900 (with tags set as needed for the Collections) with calibre.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote