Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-21-2009, 10:39 AM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
The 'Southern Vampire' series

I plowed through the first two books in about a day and a half but just cannot get through Book 3. I have the rest of them and am hoping that if I persevere, it will get good again. Anybody else have experience with this series? Is it worth pushing ahead? Or can I skip the third one and go straight to number 4?
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Something a little different happens in each one...I"m stuck on 6. Had to take a break!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2009, 10:50 AM   #3
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I've really enjoyed them - and prefer the story to the TV True Blood series. I'm reading #6 now, but I tend to read other things in-between.
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009, 11:03 AM   #4
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
I'm stuck on 5! Number 4 is great (the best of the ones I've read, IMO), but I needed a break as well. I'm pretty sure that some of the events in book 3 will come into play later, (and certainly have important ramifications for plot in general) so if you do decide to skip the rest of the book at least try to read a detailed summary of the plot before you move onto book 4.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009, 02:39 AM   #5
linou
linou began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
They are really great, and yes, usually Charlaine Harris follows the actions in several books. So it would be good to finish the book, or read an accurate summary. Even though she sums up the situation, sometimes we lack the details...

I have read all of them, the last one being peculiar, since there are several plots unfolding in it, the structure is quite different from the previous ones.
I just have the collection of short stories to read, a touch of dead.

Also, as I don't like to read everything at once, I usually read one of Sookie, then another book not from this series, and back to Sookie again. And yes, the books are so much better than the tv show, especially season 2 which do not respect the plot and characters at all, IMO.
linou is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2009, 05:53 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
I read them all and I liked them quite a bit. There are a couple of dry spots and it surprises me how there are some things missed from one book to the other.
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 02:43 AM   #7
linou
linou began at the beginning.

Device: psr 505
rcuadro, I think that the parts you missed from one book to another are the short stories.
I'll be able to confirm that once I've read A Touch of Dead, which is the collection of all the short stories she wrote with the characters from the Sookie novels.
linou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:14 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I am finding this now as well. I am into book 6 now and it seems there is a whole other novel somewhere that I missed! I remember nothing about this cousin or the queen or any of this. I looked on Wikipedia and it seems it was in a short story. I don't really thibk this is fair to the reader, most people who read the series may not see the short stories or even know about them and I don't think she should introduce major canon moments 'off-screen' as it were. This will definitely affect my rating of the book.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 02:04 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I am finding this now as well. I am into book 6 now and it seems there is a whole other novel somewhere that I missed! I remember nothing about this cousin or the queen or any of this. I looked on Wikipedia and it seems it was in a short story. I don't really thibk this is fair to the reader, most people who read the series may not see the short stories or even know about them and I don't think she should introduce major canon moments 'off-screen' as it were. This will definitely affect my rating of the book.
The short story your looking for is "One Word Answer" in Bite, a collection compiled by Laurell K. Hamilton. This is the only story that people notice missing when reading the Southern Vampire novels. For a brief period in the beginning of the book "Definitely Dead" readers get the feeling that they skipped a book and might be reading things out of sequence.

To be fair though Charlaine Harris does give a quick overview to bring readers up to date and if they never read the short story they aren't missing much. The other 7 or so short stories she has written with characters in the Sookieverse have no impact at all to the sequence of the novels.

When my daughter read the series I did ensure (a quick Google search) that she got the chance to read the short story "One Word Answer" prior to Definitely Dead (book 6).

I'm looking forward to the next book.

Happy New Year!
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:48 AM   #10
EliNoah
Enthusiast
EliNoah began at the beginning.

Device: Sony ereader Pocket Edition
I think they are like any other series of books. Some are duds and some are great. I read them all in a row and got really tired of them by the end. When she releases the new one, I will probably have to re-read the last couple so that I can refresh my memory. I think I was "scanning" by the last two, LOL.
EliNoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #11
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
My rule is to never read more than two books in a row in a series. It's better to take a break and read a few other books while you're still enjoying the series than to grow tired of them.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 08:56 AM   #12
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
My rule is to never read more than two books in a row in a series. It's better to take a break and read a few other books while you're still enjoying the series than to grow tired of them.
That's a pretty good rule, actually. I grew tired of this series after book 5. I'd read the first 5 books one after another, and I really didn't think I'd be getting back into them any time soon. Now I've read books 7 and 8 in a row, and I am reading number 9 (the latest novel) while concurrently reading another book. I think 3 books is a row is my limit for a series before I need to switch to something else. I had enjoyed the "Sword of Truth" series, but again I got sick of it after book 4. I have been stuck on book 8 for a month, and I'm not sure how much of it has to do with series overload and how much has to do with the fact that book 8 seems to be regarded as the weakest book in the series. I plan on finishing the series, though...
Old 01-05-2010, 08:22 AM   #13
caxandra
Enthusiast
caxandra began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
I read them all during the christmas holiday and have watched the tv series before that as well.
A bit enoying that they are so diffrent but hey, I'll work with it =)

So now I'm waitng for the new series to air, but That will take 6-12 months...
In the meantime I'll read the rest of Charlaine Harris work =)
caxandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:16 AM   #14
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess

O.k. I just finished the 9 novels (I haven't read the short stories yet). All in all I enjoyed them, and I'm quite happy that the series differs from them, it will keep me on my toes when I watch the 3rd season.
Old 01-08-2010, 03:31 AM   #15
caxandra
Enthusiast
caxandra began at the beginning.

Device: iriver Story
I read the short stories and some could have been in the books and some just fun sidefacts =)
But I'm waiting eager for season three.
Wouldnt mind another book soon aswell =)
caxandra is offline   Reply With Quote