Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-15-2009, 07:56 AM   #1
F1Wild
Addict
F1Wild doesn't litterF1Wild doesn't litter

Device: Paolo-my Kindle2, Blackberry Curve
A confession of defection

I must now admit, after much hoopla over my Sony PRS-505 (RED) that I recently returned it and am awaiting the arrival of my new bundle of joy, the Kindle2.

I was not unhappy with the 505. In fact I loved it. I did find that I was reading much, much faster than normal and after mucho research found that the type of books I like to read for pleasure are not as available, for as low a price, for the Sony.

Yes, I now confess before all of you that I defected.
F1Wild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Its all right, really. No one here will hold it against you.

Right, people?

Sometimes we have to try different ones to find out which is the best for us.

Regardless of the many differing opinions on this board, I still say there is no one perfect device out there...its all about which one works best for you.

Enjoy the K2, and let us know what you think about it when you get it.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 09:49 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I would be interested in knowing what you think of the K2 after having had a 505.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 09:50 AM   #4
columbus
Wizard
columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.columbus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Prs 650, 505
As a Formula 1 fan he can't be a bad guy! (Shame about the current conflict / upset there)

However I think he will see the error of his ways and eventually return to the fold
columbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP

Just Kidding

Enjoy the Kindle
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I would be interested in knowing what you think of the K2 after having had a 505.
I can tell you my opinion on the whole 505/Kindle thing. Overall I like my Kindle better but I like the interface of the Sony better. Especially that I can go back to reading the last book from the home page by pressing the top button. I know that you can just hit back on the Kindle but it is not the same thing.
The Sony is also a tad smaller since it does not have a keyboard making it easier to carry in my back pocket while I am at work...

rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 01:50 PM   #7
Stingo
Fanatic
Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stingo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KH2O, KPW2, KDXG, KPW1, K3, S505
I have used a PRS505 for a while now and love the device. The new DX lured me away because of the additional screen space. I think that that Kindle interface has its advantages and substantial more flexibility because of the keyboard and wireless. The ability to read e-pubs and the slightly better contrast are big pluses for the 505. The order by recently read and the wireless are big pluses for the Kindle. That said I like the 505 more than the Kindle and the DX more than the 505. From a business perspective, the ability of having my secretary send me a pdf doc wirelessly to my reader is out of this world.
Stingo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
krisk
Wizard
krisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipsekrisk can illuminate an eclipse

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcuadro View Post
I can tell you my opinion on the whole 505/Kindle thing. Overall I like my Kindle better but I like the interface of the Sony better. Especially that I can go back to reading the last book from the home page by pressing the top button. I know that you can just hit back on the Kindle but it is not the same thing.
The Sony is also a tad smaller since it does not have a keyboard making it easier to carry in my back pocket while I am at work...

stars above! if I had an e-reader in my back pocket, I would either break the screen or drop it in the toilet!!!
krisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:18 PM   #9
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
The Sony is a nice device, but the Kindle is the future. Welcome aboard!
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
sdmama
Enthusiast
sdmama doesn't littersdmama doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader 505 and 700 and Kindle 2
I have no plans to abandon my Sony 505 but I've been thinking of purchasing a Kindle as a second reader.

I guess for me it would be a third reader since I also have a 700. However, the 700 lives in a dark nightstand drawer and never gets to come out and play.
sdmama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2009, 10:32 PM   #11
F1Wild
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus View Post
As a Formula 1 fan he can't be a bad guy! (Shame about the current conflict / upset there)

However I think he will see the error of his ways and eventually return to the fold
I think you might reread your post and in time you may find a big error of your own.
Old 06-15-2009, 10:35 PM   #12
F1Wild
Addict

Thanks for all the posts - all quite encouraging (save a wee few)! I can't wait to receive it - sent today and will be in my hands (not back pocket ;-) ) Thursday.

OK, for me, since I have no other reading device, it's back to the Bernie & Max (AKA The Dwarf & Spanky) bashing!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 AM   #13
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdmama View Post
I have no plans to abandon my Sony 505 but I've been thinking of purchasing a Kindle as a second reader.
I bought my Kindle first and then the Sony 505. I like them both and wouldn't want to give up either one. But, I don't buy books for the Sony from the Sony store. I buy all my new release books from Amazon -- because of the price.

For the multi-format books I've bought from Baen and Fictionwise, I read on whichever device is handy. I try to download both formats (and even the ePub ones if available) so I have the option of reading on either device. Also, when traveling in the car with my hubby, I try to have at least one book queued up for reading on the Sony after dark. After all, my hubby bought me the light-wedge cover for it to help keep the glare out of his eyes while he drives.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 01:18 AM   #14
Jill74
Banned
Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Jill74 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony Reader 505
good to hear that F1Wild!

Jill74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Question Why is the Kindle the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The Sony is a nice device, but the Kindle is the future. Welcome aboard!
Why do you think the Kindle is the future? Right now it has the wireless, but that will be changing (i.e., other devices will soon have wireless capability). Once Kindle's wireless 'advantage" is neutralized, I see nothing that makes the Kindle the eink device of the future. (I'm not suggesting that it is not a good device or that the Sony is better; just that I don't understand your comment.)

If you are referring to the "breadth" of offerings available at the Amazon Kindle bookstore (as opposed to the device itself), even that is a fleeting advantage. Amazon's competitors are only now gearing up (e.g., Barnes & Noble) and publishers are becoming increasingly wary of Amazon. Besides, a lot of Amazon's advantage in this regard is one of price -- the $9.99 bestsellers -- but that advantage will eventually fade. First, it is not forever sustainable by Amazon as a loss leader. Second, Bezos recognizes that his primary goal is to make money, not lose it, which contributes to the lack of sustainability. And, third, once publishers get real about their ebook pricing, Amazon will adjust its prices as will its competitors. I think competition will be more along the pbook model.

Last edited by rhadin; 06-16-2009 at 09:26 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote