Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 07-15-2008, 03:27 PM   #1
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle Touch
Kindle's Next/Back Buttons vs. Cybook's D-pad

I'm used to advancing to the next screen of an e-book by pressing down or right on a d-pad. But I'm really impressed with the way Kindle uses its multiple back and forward buttons to "turn the page". I've never used one, but it seems good.

In addition to considering buying a Kindle, I'm also looking at the Cybook. I see that it's d-pad is positioned comfortably for the right-hand thumb to reach while holding the device.

Anyway, what do Kindle owners think of the large, flipper-style page control buttons? If anyone here has or does use both styles, do you have a preference? Are the Kindle's unique page controls as big of a deal as I'm making them to be?
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:46 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero9 View Post
Are the Kindle's unique page controls as big of a deal as I'm making them to be?
Not at all. You are generally going to "next page", you're not playing a video game here. The Kindle works when holding with the left or right page. Although I do wish it was symmetrical.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2008, 03:50 PM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
I've had my kindle for 6 weeks now, and after the first 5 minutes, the buttons weren't an issue....I like being able to just 'click' and not worry about where the button is.......also, I can change the page from the left or right hand side, depending on which way i"m holding the kindle.......
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Zero9
Zealot
Zero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enoughZero9 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Not at all. You are generally going to "next page", you're not playing a video game here. The Kindle works when holding with the left or right page. Although I do wish it was symmetrical.

BOb
Just to clarify; I'm not worried that I won't like the Kindle's buttons if I get a Kindle. I'm worried that I'll be missing out on them if I get something other than a Kindle. I meant "big deal" in a good way.
Zero9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 07:52 PM   #5
rixte
Addict
rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rixte ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: new oasis, paperwhite, ipad, kobo
On the Cybook, it can take a little time to get used to the button placement. My rocket ebook was much easier to adjust to. But honestly, once I used it for a while, I completely stopped noticing the button turns and placement except in a few rare circumstances - usually having to do with having to work the button with 'wrong' hand due to angling for poor lighting.

I do think that the large buttons are really nice, that's what the rocket ebook had as well.
rixte is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2008, 08:26 AM   #6
bakerjw
Enthusiast
bakerjw doesn't litterbakerjw doesn't litter

Device: none
I was very concerned about the long buttons on the side of the Kindle. It was my biggest concern...

I found out that it is a non issue. The Kindle is so ergonomic.
bakerjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 12:36 PM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
With the new 512MB Gen3's the "D-Pad" is a lot "softer" and more responsive than that of the original 64MB Gen3. The "usability" has been very much improved as a result.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote