Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 12-30-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Device: none
Foreign Language Issue

I'm working on a book that is primarily in English with some parts in Hebrew, Yiddish, and Polish. Epub conversion with Calibre (to derive expanded CSS for good display on Nook) works fine for my Nook device and for Nook reader (as well as Kobo and Google Play) on the tablet. Everything looks perfect.

My client (who did the print version of the book and contracted me to do the e-version), does not have a device to review the files so she downloaded Nook reading software for her computer. She is getting errors that do not show up on my device or in any of my software based epub readers. Specifically, certain Polish letters (those with language-specific diacritical marks) are replaced with a question mark.

I'm thinking it is a computer-specific problem or that she should uninstall the Nook reader and re-install. I need her to be confident that I have provided her with a good epub file. Any other thoughts?
EditorOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 11:51 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
That is a font issue. Apparently the font used by the reading software uses a font that does not contain those characters. Besides using a different font, another solution might be including a free font that does contain those characters. You could try Charis... Be aware that books can grow considerably in size due to fonts if you do not subset the fonts.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-30-2014, 12:43 PM   #3
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'
EditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toysEditorOne shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
That is a font issue. Apparently the font used by the reading software uses a font that does not contain those characters. Besides using a different font, another solution might be including a free font that does contain those characters. You could try Charis... Be aware that books can grow considerably in size due to fonts if you do not subset the fonts.
Thanks. I checked the device and reading software and found that some fonts recognize them and others don't. So it will depend on what font the reader/software is using as a default. Learned this on the Adobe Typography forum:

Among Adobe's fonts you should be looking at the ones with a "Pro" designation. According to Adobe:
"All Adobe OpenType fonts include the standard range of Latin characters used in the Western world, and several international characters, including the "estimated," litre, and euro currency symbols. Adobe's OpenType Pro fonts add a full range of accented characters to support central and eastern European languages, such as Turkish and Polish. Many of the Pro fonts also contain Cyrillic and Greek character extensions in the same font."

Good to know.
Old 12-30-2014, 03:33 PM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The only way to ensure that your book will render correctly on all devices is to embed an appropriate font into the book. You can't assume that all reading devices will have fonts that contain the less common glyphs.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2014, 06:01 PM   #5
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Be careful though, most fonts require a license to be embedded. The Adobe ones do. That is why I suggested Charis, that one can be embedded according to the license and has the required characters for sure.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2015, 10:20 PM   #6
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
There is also a large list of Open Source Unicode fonts here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open-s...code_typefaces

My preference lately has been leaning towards the fonts used in Android. Droid Sans and Roboto are released under the Apache license, and the .ttf files can be downloaded directly here:

https://github.com/android/platform_...ter/data/fonts
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2015, 03:14 PM   #7
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

Thanks, everyone for your ideas. I will check out the open source unicodes along with charis.
Old 01-02-2015, 09:54 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
But you will need to put in a note that the reader will need to turn publisher settings on when using a Kindle or Kobo eInk Reader.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 02:53 PM   #9
Freeshadow
temp. out of service
Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Freeshadow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB 623
Especially older devices lack fonts containing Ą, ą Ę, ę and Ł, ł. (Ż, ż) While the accented ones like ń, ó, ś, ć and ź (and their capital equivalents) have a higher probability of being available the ogonek-letters are not. I wouldn't make a Polish ebook without embedded fonts.
Freeshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2015, 10:14 AM   #10
EditorOne
Jus' Learnin'

Thanks, all. I had embedded the fonts and I did put in a note to the reader that if the foreign characters did not display properly to change the font in the e-reader settings. I researched the fonts in a number of readers and they all do a fine job. I guess the problem is largely with the Nook reader for PC.

Problem solved. Thanks for all of your advice.

Tags
epub, foreign language, nook app, polish letters