Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #1
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Attn plugin developers: calibre moving to Qt 5

Hi all,

calibre will soon be moving to using Qt 5 in place of Qt 4 as its GUI library. If you have created plugins that use the GUI (User Interface plugins) then you will need to do a little porting to have your plugins work with both Qt 4 and Qt 5. The porting work is mostly mechanical search and replace, unless you happen to use some obscure corners of Qt. In the next post of this thread, I will add a guide to cover the most common porting tasks.

Beta builds of calibre with Qt 5 are available here:

http://download.calibre-ebook.com/betas/

The betas are fully compatible with current stable calibre releases, in that you can use them on the same library/configuration folder with no problems (indeed my family and I have been running the Qt 5 based calibre code base for almost two months). However, if you want to be doubly cautious, use the portable install with a special test library.

I encourage you to port your plugins as soon as possible so that when calibre 2.0 is released, which will use Qt 5, your plugins will continue to work.

I am happy to help you with any issues you encounter during porting. Feel free to post in this thread with questions, and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Finally, these are beta builds, and because of the large numbers of OSes that calibre supports I haven't been able to test them on everything, so if you notice any bugs feel free to let me know.

The status of the plugin porting effort can be monitored here: http://plugins.calibre-ebook.com/porting.html

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-18-2014 at 03:19 AM.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 03:48 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Guide for porting plugin code to Qt 5

1. The first thing to port is imports from PyQt4. Where ever you have a statement that look like:
    Code:
    from PyQt4.Qt import ...
    change it to

Code:
    try:
        from PyQt4.Qt import ...
    except ImportError:
        from PyQt5.Qt import ...
    If you use the QtCore or QtGui modules directly, change the imports like this.

Code:
    try:
        from PyQt4 import QtGui
    except ImportError:
        from PyQt5 import Qt as QtGui
  2. PyQt5 automatically converts QVariants to the equivalent python objects. So any code that explicitly converted QVariants will need to be ported. Look for function calls like: toBool(), toString(), toPyObject(), toInt(), etc.

To port these we use a utility function that will do the right thing regardless of Qt version.
    Code:
    try:
        from calibre.gui2 import QVariant
        del QVariant
    except ImportError:
        is_qt4 = False
        convert_qvariant = lambda x: x
    else:
        is_qt4 = True

def convert_qvariant(x):
            vt = x.type()
            if vt == x.String:
                return unicode(x.toString())
            if vt == x.List:
                return [convert_qvariant(i) for i in x.toList()]
            return x.toPyObject()
    Now replace any sites in your code that explicitly convert QVariants with a call to convert_qvariant(value) instead.

3. The QString and QChar classes no longer exist in PyQt5. However, you should not have been using them in PyQt4 either. Simply replace their usage with the python unicode object. Any function call that expects QString will take a unicode object in both PyQt4 and PyQt5. Any Qt function that you call that returns a QString should simply be wrapped like this to work in both PyQt4 and PyQt5
    Code:
    ans = unicode(function_that_returns_a_qstring())
  4. The QAbstractItemModel class (and its various subclasses such as QListModel, QTreeModel and so on) no longer have a reset() method. If you use this method, replace it with beginResetModel() and endResetModel() which work with both Qt 4 and Qt 5

5. The deprecated line edit with completion (MultiCompleteComboBox, MultiCompleteLineEdit) from calibre has been removed. If you use it replace it with EditWithComplete from calibre.gui2.complete2 (this works with both Qt 4 and Qt 5 and exists in all versions of calibre >=0.9.0).
  6. If you used the deprecated SIGNAL macro to connect Qt signals and slots, you will have to replace it with a new syntax, since it no longer exists in Qt 5. For example:

Code:
    self.connect(action, SIGNAL("triggered()"), slot)

becomes

self.action.triggered.connect(slot)
    The new syntax is nicer and more robust than the old and works in both Qt 4 and Qt 5
There are a few other, more obscure changes that might be needed, depending on what parts of Qt you use, which I will be happy to help with, if necessary.

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 08-15-2014 at 04:45 AM.
Advert
Old 07-06-2014, 09:11 PM   #3
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That looks easy enough. And, yes, I know I will regret that statement sometime in the next few days

Is there anything extra we need to do to run from source?

I did just see an error:

Code:
calibre, version 1.200.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>TypeError</b>:QAbstractTableModel.flags(QModelIndex): first argument of unbound method must have type 'QAbstractTableModel'

calibre 1.200  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: DeDRM && FanFictionDownLoader && EpubMerge && Count Pages && Search The Internet && Open With && Fantastic Fiction && Webscription && Annotations && Goodreads && && Favourites Menu && Find Duplicates && KoboTouchBeta && Ebook Cleaner && Quality Check && Resize Cover && Modify ePub && Generate Cover && User Category && KoboBooks && Hyphenate This! && Reading List && Clipboard Search && KoboTouchTOCUpdate && KePub Output && FictionDB && KoboTouchExtended && EpubSplit && Copy Cover To Device && View Manager && KindleUnpack - The Plugin && Walk Search History && Temp Marker && Kobo Utilities && Kindle 2, 3, 4, Touch, PaperWhite Device Interface MBP Update Mod && Goodreads Sync && SmartEject && Manage Series
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\preferences\metadata_sources.py", line 199, in flags
TypeError: QAbstractTableModel.flags(QModelIndex): first argument of unbound method must have type 'QAbstractTableModel'
This happened when I tried to configure the metadata download from the metadata editor. But, it happens from the preferences as well.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

If you are running from source you have to switch to the qt5 branch as the master branch will only work with qt 4.

Thanks, that bug is fixed: https://github.com/kovidgoyal/calibr...b37aaf6fef6d03

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 07-06-2014 at 10:29 PM.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:54 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
If you are running from source you have to switch to the qt5 branch as the master branch will only work with qt 4.
I figured as much. I think I'll use an old machine for the QT4 testing. I don't think I can be bothered trying to do it on one machine.
Advert
Old 07-07-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Some things I have found so far...

I had an error with:

Code:
from calibre.gui2.complete import MultiCompleteComboBox
Looking at the source, there is now calibre.gui2.complete2 with class EditWithComplete that seems to have replaced the above. And works.

I also have:

Code:
from PyQt4 import QtGui
And "QtGui.QSomeWidgetClassOrOther" scattered through the code. In all cases this gave an error along the lines of "AttributeError: 'module' object has no attribute 'QSomeWidgetClassOrOther'". According to http://qt-project.org/doc/qt-5/portingguide.html, Widgets are now in a separate module called "QtWidgets". As a quick hack, I used:

Code:
from PyQt5 import QtWidgets as QtGui
It is working, but not pretty. I'll probably change to import them individually.

Both of the above are in code I have stolen from kiwidudes plugins. And are appearing in most of the plugins.
Old 07-07-2014, 01:29 AM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

I have edited the guide to describe how to deal with direct use of QtGui or QtCore and EditWithComplete
Old 07-07-2014, 06:08 PM   #8
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Thanks for the advance notice, and the porting tips! Things have gone pretty smoothly for the little bit I've tried.

I did run into a bit of a snag with QListWidget in the move from PyQt4 to PyQt5. It might not affect too many, but I thought I'd share just in case.

I'm iterating the items of a QListWidget that allows multiple selections (to get a list of the indices of the items than are selected) and have found that the QListWidget.isItemSelected(QListWidgetItem * item) method no longer exists in PyQt5.

So the method I was using (that works in PyQt4):
Code:
book_indices = []
for index in xrange(qlist_widget.count()):
  qlist_widget_item = qlist_widget.item(index)
  if qlist_widget.isItemSelected(qlist_widget_item):
    book_indices.append(index)
Bombs in PyQt5.

The method that will work in both is:
Code:
book_indices = []
for index in xrange(qlist_widget.count()):
  qlist_widget_item = qlist_widget.item(index)
  if qlist_widget_item.isSelected():
    book_indices.append(index)
Which now that I see it, probably would have made more sense to begin with!

Anyway ... if anyone runs into issues with QListWidget while porting, keep in mind that the isItemSelected method has gone away in Qt5.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 08:42 AM   #9
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
What is the best way to deal with the change to the QFileDialog.getOpenFileName method?

PyQt4 used to return a single filepath but PyQt5 returns 2 strings (filepath, filter). I don't need the filter part of the result so I've temporarily solved it like this:
Code:
fd = QFileDialog()
if hasattr(fd, 'getOpenFileNameAndFilter'):
    # PyQt4
    ans = fd.getOpenFileNameAndFilter(self, mycaption, mydir, myfilter)
else:    
    # PyQt5
    ans = fd.getOpenFileName(self, mycaption, mydir, myfilter)
selfile = unicode(ans[0])
Is there a better calibre-way of doing this? I fully admit that this particular personal plugin started life completely external to calibre so uses less calibre special functionality than it might. I tend to only fix things if they break.

I have quite a few other questions (mainly to do with SIGNAL) but ... one thing at a time.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #10
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

While running from source, I received:

Code:
calibre, version 1.200.0
ERROR: Unhandled exception: <b>ValueError</b>:invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''

calibre 1.200*  isfrozen: True is64bit: False
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('32bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.8
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: ...
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "D:\Development\GitHub\calibre-qt5\src\calibre\gui2\preferences\metadata_sources.py", line 102, in setData
ValueError: invalid literal for int() with base 10: ''
This happened when I was changing the metadata download preferences. I double clicked in the "Cover priority" column for a source and then clicked outside the field without typing anything.

I checked this with the Qt4 version and there is another bug in both. When the editing of the cover priority field is started, the field is emptied. That is annoying as you don't know what the current value is.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:34 AM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I have quite a few other questions (mainly to do with SIGNAL) but ... one thing at a time.
I've been battling with the Annotations plugin today and SIGNAL. All I have to say is: AAARRRGGGHHH!!!!!!! That plus a couple of other things caught me a bit.

But, I think I have mine done now. Plus some others because I am impatient and I hadn't seen kiwidude around for a while. I have briefly talked to kiwidude about this and, as he is busy with work, he's happy for the help. I'm not quite ready to post them publicly, but a couple of extra testers would be good. The plugins I have done are: Annotations, Count Pages, Kobo Utilities, Open With, Reading List, Smart Eject. And the metadata source plugins: Fantastic Fiction, Goodreads and (brand new) KoboBooks.

If someone wants to test these, send me a PM and I'll send a link back tomorrow. And if anyone wants to add to collection, I'll put them up as well.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:42 AM   #12
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

My next question ... I need to create a right-click context menu on a single QTextBrowser widget, which is part of a busy QDialog.

This simplified code worked OK in PyQt4 but not PyQt5. I think the problem is in the red bits.
Code:
from PyQt4.Qt import SIGNAL

class MyDlg(QDialog):
    def __init__(self, epub, parent=None):
        QDialog.__init__(self)
        ... ...
        self.browser = QTextBrowser()
        self.browser.setContextMenuPolicy(Qt.CustomContextMenu)
        self.browser.customContextMenuRequested.connect(self.showSnippetMenu)
        self.create_context_menu()

def showSnippetMenu(self, pos):
        self.snipmenu.popup(self.browser.mapToGlobal(pos))

def create_context_menu(self):    
        self.snipmenu = QMenu(self.browser)
        self.myAction1 = self.createAction('Menu item label', self.myMethod1)
        self.addActions(self.snipmenu, (self.myAction1, ...))

def createAction(self, text, slot=None):
        action = QAction(text, self)
        if slot is not None:
            self.connect(action, SIGNAL("triggered()"), slot)
        return action

def myMethod1(self):
        ... blah blah ...
Can anyone help? Maybe I need to switch over to using pre-written calibre special menu-creating functions. If so can you point me at the beginners' end of the knotty string , please?

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-08-2014 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 10:43 AM   #13
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

@davidfor,

Oops, posted just before I saw your PM. Could be in for a l-o-n-g night.

ETA: ... or maybe not Thank you, David

It seems removing the first red line and changing the second to
Code:
action.triggered.connect(slot)
is all that was needed.

Ah, the perils of having only a tenuous grasp on the whole concept of signals and slots and hoping for the best when blindly copying code from other people.

Last edited by jackie_w; 07-08-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:27 AM   #14
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Ah, the perils of having only a tenuous grasp on the whole concept of signals and slots and hoping for the best when blindly copying code from other people.
You and me both. One replacement I found that seems to work on both 4 & 5 is this:
Code:
-        self.connect(self.horizontalHeader(),
-                     SIGNAL('sectionClicked(int)'),
-                     self.on_headersection_clicked)
+        self.horizontalHeader().sectionClicked.connect(self.on_headersection_clicked)
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM   #15
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I have briefly talked to kiwidude about this and, as he is busy with work, he's happy for the help. I'm not quite ready to post them publicly, but a couple of extra testers would be good. The plugins I have done are: Annotations, Count Pages, Kobo Utilities, Open With, Reading List, Smart Eject. And the metadata source plugins: Fantastic Fiction, Goodreads and (brand new) KoboBooks.
I've posted test versions of SmartEject, EpubMerge and EpubSplit in their respective threads that seem to work on both qt4 & qt5 for me. (SmartEject is mostly a copy of davidfor changes.)

I use several of kiwidude's other plugins regularly that I'll be willing to look at, time permitting.
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote