Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Which Reader Format for A Clie?

I found a used Sony Clie at a good price. It fills a niche for a pocket device and gives me an address list in the bargain.

The Clie runs on Palm OS 5 and can apparently support Mobipocket and eReader. I'm assuming that I can't load both formats on one PDA. I want something that will let me read recently published eBooks. But both formats have titles that I want but neither one seems to have everything, so that's a wash.

I'm leaning toward eReader because Fictionwise recommends it, but I wanted to ask for a second opinion. Is there a significant difference between Mobipocket and eReader formats, or does it matter which one I use?
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 03:48 PM   #2
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I'm assuming that I can't load both formats on one PDA.
I don't think there's any reason you can't load both. They just show up as applications in the Palm OS, so it's not like they should have any real opportunity to conflict.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 06:21 PM   #3
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
You can load both!
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #4
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
I should have said further I have both on my Clie and both on my Tungsten E.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2008, 06:58 PM   #5
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
On a Clie, I'd recommend iSilo over both of the other two readers as well (and you can load the software without creating a conflict). I've been paying for it since verison 2.

Then, buy something at ficitonwise, download in all of the formats to see what you like best.

Curt (just got home with a PRS-505; haven't taken it out of the box yet)
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-11-2008, 08:31 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was possible to use more than one. Too bad the large screen models like the PRS500 and eb1150 don't support multiple formats.

BTW: can iSilo read multiple formats? Thanks for the hint. I'll have a look.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 12:27 PM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
I've had both eReader and MobiPocket on my old Clie with no problem. I do the same on my Palm T|X. That way I can easily read DRMed files.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:22 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
I found a used Sony Clie at a good price. It fills a niche for a pocket device and gives me an address list in the bargain.

The Clie runs on Palm OS 5 and can apparently support Mobipocket and eReader. I'm assuming that I can't load both formats on one PDA. I want something that will let me read recently published eBooks. But both formats have titles that I want but neither one seems to have everything, so that's a wash.

I'm leaning toward eReader because Fictionwise recommends it, but I wanted to ask for a second opinion. Is there a significant difference between Mobipocket and eReader formats, or does it matter which one I use?
You can have as many readers as you wish on a Palm device. Multiple formats are easy to support.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I've had both eReader and MobiPocket on my old Clie with no problem. I do the same on my Palm T|X.
Me too. I actually preferred the eReader format but found more books in the Mobipocket format.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
curtw
Outside of a dog
curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.curtw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Thanks everyone. I didn't think it was possible to use more than one. Too bad the large screen models like the PRS500 and eb1150 don't support multiple formats.

BTW: can iSilo read multiple formats? Thanks for the hint. I'll have a look.
Sorry, I did not mean to imply that iSilo could read Mobi files. It can read it's own format and "doc" (.pdb) files.

what's greatest about it is the ability of the converter,iSiloX, to encapsulate on-line content for off-line browsing. Better than sitescraper, etc.
curtw is offline   Reply With Quote