Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 06-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Kindle 3 WIFI
Unhappy Damn Reboot using the shell

I have a Kindle 3 wifi, and I like it. I jailbreaked it and installed usbnetworking, shell, and some other apps on it.
Unfortunately, I forgot that I shouldn't reboot kindle thorugh the shell, and I did it! Now it does not boot and it goes to the "Repair Needed" page, and at the botoom of the screen I can see: "framework".
As the kindle is not completely bricked, I tried to reboot it using hard reset (holding reset button 15 sec) and install original firmware update from amazon using recovery console. I used the latest firmware available:
http://s3.amazonaws.com/G7G_Firmware...e_3.3_B008.bin
But it didn't help, as it seems that it does not install the update.

I don't have usb-ttl cable, so I can't use the unbrick method. Any opinion about what happens when you reboot kindle using the shell, and how to fix it?
wlaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:39 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please ask development-related questions on the dev forum. I'm moving this thread there.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 07:42 AM   #3
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlaf View Post
I have a Kindle 3 wifi, and I like it. I jailbreaked it and installed usbnetworking, shell, and some other apps on it.
Unfortunately, I forgot that I shouldn't reboot kindle thorugh the shell, and I did it! Now it does not boot and it goes to the "Repair Needed" page, and at the botoom of the screen I can see: "framework".
As the kindle is not completely bricked, I tried to reboot it using hard reset (holding reset button 15 sec) and install original firmware update from amazon using recovery console. I used the latest firmware available:
But it didn't help, as it seems that it does not install the update.

I don't have usb-ttl cable, so I can't use the unbrick method. Any opinion about what happens when you reboot kindle using the shell, and how to fix it?
I rebooted my K3 through the shell multiple times with no problems. Which shell did you install? Where is that "no reboot" documented?

What "other apps" did you install? Perhaps one of those caused this problem...
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 07:55 AM   #4
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
I'm with geekmaster here. Rebooted numerous times via USB shell access. And I really don't see why that would impose problems. So rebooting is not the culprit - at least not if other things are alright (like the filesystem re-mounted read-only, though the reboot should at least do a sync).

However, since there is no method of access until the Kindle is up and presenting USB mass storage or USB network access, I guess recovery using serial access is the only option to get it running again.

But then, what is this "recovery console" the OP talks about? How did he manage to put a file onto the Kindle? Some things seem to be working and the description of how it is broken really lacks a lot of detail.

As for "installing firmware": Amazon's updates are incremental. They won't restore what has been broken. They just update working firmware to a new version.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:09 AM   #5
wlaf
Enthusiast
wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.wlaf writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Which shell did you install? Where is that "no reboot" documented?
This is the full screen terminal I've been using:
http://info.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/kind...indle-terminal
mentioned here:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=125860
Quote:
Where is that "no reboot" documented?
I'm searching for it. I think it was in usbnetworking docs, there was an advise not to issue the command reboot through the shell or "strange things will happen".
Quote:
since there is no method of access until the Kindle is up and presenting USB mass storage or USB network access, I guess recovery using serial access is the only option to get it running again.
I actually have access to USB mass storage mode through recovery mode, but when I put the firmware on the storage and press 1, nothing happens, it just reboot and goes back to "repair needed" screen.
Quote:
But then, what is this "recovery console" the OP talks about? How did he manage to put a file onto the Kindle? Some things seem to be working and the description of how it is broken really lacks a lot of detail.
I used this to get to recovery mode. I pressed HOME when booting, then typed RESET when it asked and I got to recovery mode. See this:
http://blogkindle.com/2009/03/kindle-2-recovery-mode/
In recovery mode, usb mass storage works and and come up one empty 3.04 gigabyte drive.
Quote:
As for "installing firmware": Amazon's updates are incremental. They won't restore what has been broken. They just update working firmware to a new version.
Maybe something like Duokan will help?
http://en.duokan.com/

Last edited by wlaf; 06-12-2012 at 08:17 AM.
Advert
Old 06-12-2012, 08:15 AM   #6
geekmaster
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I use the much newer myts-6, which was based on the original one from lrizzo in your link. rebooting from it was never a problem for me, but I did not do it many times. I suppose that there could be a timing problem if you reboot at "just the wrong time" while the framework is busy, if it does not process "shutdown notice" events like it should (or if amazon implemented it incorrectly). I did not see any problems when I shutdown using the newer onscreen terminal versions...

The recovery mode firmware image might need to be a signed package. Where did you get it?

That RESET command is a factory reset, as I recall. Here is some related content for a K3 RESET: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144119

In one of those posts, Sir Alex had this to say:
Quote:
2. Enter recovery mode (Hold down [Enter] while rebooting) and choose "E -> Export over USB". Very important note: Do not try Reset to factory default or other options in recovery menu. You will damage your Kindle much more than now.
According to him, doing the RESET command that you did may cause MORE problems, if I understood it right. I did not try that myself...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:19 AM   #7
wlaf
Enthusiast

Quote:
What "other apps" did you install? Perhaps one of those caused this problem...
I should check again, because it's been a while since my kindle has the problem. As I remmeber, I jailbreaked the device, installed usbneteworking, then fullscreen shell, and after that mplayer (uninstalled it then). The worst thing that i may have done was changing the boot scripts so that usbnetworking works whenever the device boot. It was working well before reboot from shell. I've booted the device several times through the Kindle menu.
Quote:
The recovery mode firmware image might need to be a signed package. Where did you get it?
I just used this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/custom...deId=200529700
this firmware:
Size: 23 MB
and it didn't work. So, can I conclude that only "Customer Service" has that signed package and can fix it using this complete firmware?

Last edited by wlaf; 06-12-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:23 AM   #8
geekmaster

I think that the "full firmware image" packages installed in recovery mode use a different signature than the "incremental update" packages installed from the "Update my Kindle" settings menu. I have never seen a download link for a full firmware image needed for the recovery menu.

You can flash a raw backup image using the serial port.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
this firmware:
Size: 23 MB
and it didn't work. So, can I conclude that only "Customer Service" has that signed package and can fix it using this complete firmware?
That is not a complete firmware image (its an order of magnitude too small) - that is an incremental update.

Please expand on "it didn't work" -

If it installed but did not change the behavior, then none of the files that where updated had been changed on your Kindle.

If the installation failed to install, then one of the files it was trying to update had been changed on your Kindle.

If the second is the situation, then that narrows the problem down to finding which file update the installation process bailed out on (which should be in the logs - if those can be accessed).
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #10
wlaf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
That is not a complete firmware image (its an order of magnitude too small) - that is an incremental update.
Please expand on "it didn't work" -
It's been a while since I last used this method. After seeing "Recovery Mode", I can put the image on the usb mass storage. After that, I press 1. Is that ok?
Quote:
If it installed but did not change the behavior, then none of the files that where updated had been changed on your Kindle.
If the installation failed to install, then one of the files it was trying to update had been changed on your Kindle.
If the second is the situation, then that narrows the problem down to finding which file update the installation process bailed out on (which should be in the logs - if those can be accessed).
The last time I did this, I got "Installation failed".
Old 06-12-2012, 09:00 AM   #11
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
The last time I did this, I got "Installation failed".
OK - That narrows down the problem to one of the files the update installer was trying to change.

Note: The "update installer" applies binary patches to binary files. For this to work, it has to first test the checksum of the target file.
If that checksum test fails, it can not apply the binary patch, so it gives up (with technical details in one of the log files).

The end-user summary is: "Installation failed".

There are complete system images available from a chain of links rooted in the "de-bricking" threads.
What you seem to need is a "signed image" format of one of those complete images that the installer will use to do a complete replacement.

GM would be the authority on where to find that file.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 09:13 AM   #12
geekmaster

That is a K3. Any firmware images for the K3 in the past were taken down because "direct links to firmware" are forbidden here. That is why the simple debricking thread uses non-clickable URLs in a pastebin page for images.

There is a K3 linux kernel posted there, but not a main partition image. If somebody provides me with a link to a K3 firmware image I will post it there when I have time.

Usually, K3 images were provided via temporary links sent via PM, when requested in the forum.

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-12-2012 at 09:15 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:25 AM   #13
wlaf
Enthusiast

Thanks, I understand the problem. People may use the image to remove ads form ad-supported devices, and Amazon does not like this.
Could you please help me redo the update process? I'm in the Recovery mode, the update file is there, but I don't know remember which key should I press to do the update. It seems that recovery mode is not well documented.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:53 AM   #14
geekmaster

It is in the link I provided above.

Also, ask for the K3 backup image here (not in a PM). Somebody can supply a download link in a PM. Amazon techs told me it was (probably) okay to distribute copies of firmware for repair purposes, but they never supplied that in writing as I had requested. Certainly a REQUEST for firmware should not be in violation of any rules, and supplying a PM link to a temporary backup image should also be fine...

I do not have a K3 backup image that I can give you now and I do not have time to make one. Somebody else can if you ask here...

Last edited by geekmaster; 06-12-2012 at 09:57 AM.
Old 06-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #15
wlaf
Enthusiast

Ok, I'm requesting publicly.

Does anybody have Kindle 3 wifi images, needed for repairing my Kindle? If somebody has, please pm me the link.

Thanks.

Tags
boot, reboot, shell