Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-27-2011, 06:19 AM   #46
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Members as of now, 11:19 on 27th December, 2011: 148,895

Only 1,105 mebers to go!

The Terminator and Sweetpea guessed the 26th December, and so have lost.

Here's a (very rough) graph of the numbers so far. Note that the graph points don't take account of the time of day when I made a note of the numbers. However, I'm feeling optimistic about my guess!

Last edited by pdurrant; 12-27-2011 at 06:33 AM. Reason: added graph
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:40 AM   #47
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Maybe I should have predicted the 29th, which will be my MR - 1 year anniversary.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #48
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Members as of now, 11:19 on 27th December, 2011: 148,895

Only 1,105 mebers to go!...
Slightly Paul, Is that what the clock on your MobileRead Screen says? I had always assumed for whatever Reason that MR post clocks read in Eastern Standard Time throughout the world. What time are you reading for this post?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TimeZone.PNG
Views:	131
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	80442  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM   #49
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Slightly Paul, Is that what the clock on your MobileRead Screen says? I had always assumed for whatever Reason that MR post clocks read in Eastern Standard Time throughout the world. What time are you reading for this post?
It shows an hour ahead of the correct time in the UK. When I come on to MR after 11pm our time, it says that my last visit was yesterday, even though it clearly is still the same day...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:26 AM   #50
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

But what does the time on post #49 say (your post immediately before this one)? Here it says, "Today, 11:23 AM".
Advert
Old 12-27-2011, 11:54 AM   #51
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
Quote:
But what does the time on post #49 say (your post immediately before this one)? Here it says, "Today, 11:23 AM".
For me it says, "Today, 17:12". You can set your own time zone.
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:55 AM   #52
Falcao
Banned
Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Falcao ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650

You can configure the clock in "User CP", "Edit Options", "Date & Time Options". I, for example, have USA Mountain Standard Time and no DST corrections.

Saying that, post #49 reads "9:23 AM".

Last edited by Falcao; 12-27-2011 at 11:57 AM.
Falcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:56 AM   #53
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

So then, theoretically, we could have two members guessing different days, and both could be right.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:30 PM   #54
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Post #49 says 5:23pm for me, when our "real" time was 4:23pm. As you say, we could have 2 on the same date in theory...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:58 PM   #55
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
As of right now (11:29 GMT, 18th December 2011) MobileRead has 147,106 members.

Predict the date that we reach 150,000 members. All dates will be 0:00:01 to 23:59:59 GMT. If someone joins at exactly midnight to make it 150,000, both dates win!*

- snip -
Quote:
So then, theoretically, we could have two members guessing different days, and both could be right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Post #49 says 5:23pm for me, when our "real" time was 4:23pm. As you say, we could have 2 on the same date in theory...
Don't think so. Not according to the rules Pdurrant first stated.
Old 12-27-2011, 04:44 PM   #56
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Your post's date stamp is "Today, 04:12PM" with today being the 27th December. The time stamps on MobileRead are displayed in your local time, as set in your User Control Panel. (User CP/Setting & Options/Options/Date & Time Options/Time Zone.

My time zone is set to "(GMT) Western Europe Time, London, Lisbon, Casablance" with "Automatically detect DST settings".
Old 12-27-2011, 04:46 PM   #57
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Exactly so. The dates are the GMT dates.
Old 12-27-2011, 06:11 PM   #58
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Thanks. I missed that!
Old 12-27-2011, 06:16 PM   #59
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!

For a minute, I was thinking I had to change my date, then I remembered I used my fortune telling app to pick it and that the app "can be trusted to tell you what lies ahead with scathing accuracy and cool indifference."
Old 12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #60
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Less than 850 to go
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote