Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 07:11 PM   #1
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Amazon Tablet doesn't sound all that exciting

from this:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...googlenews_wsj

No camera.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:14 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
No camera, no sale
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #3
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
Patience grasshopper.

It's just vaporware right now.

And...sometimes the more you remove, the better the device becomes.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:28 PM   #4
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
No camera = good for me. Keep the price down. That's the problem with these overpriced tablets -- two cameras.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 07:40 PM   #5
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

LOL

I remember the days prior to Apple releasing the iPad and everyone expected it to start anywhere from $799 and up.

Now prices in the $400's are 'overpriced'.

I expect Amazon to be crazy value conscience and come in with a really good price.
Advert
Old 07-13-2011, 08:03 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
You're right Rock!

I feel kind of silly saying that now. Reflecting on the fact that I paid $400 for the Sony 900 a year and a half ago. Could barely read on the thing with that horrible screen.

Last edited by SCION; 07-13-2011 at 08:06 PM.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:19 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
LOL

I remember the days prior to Apple releasing the iPad and everyone expected it to start anywhere from $799 and up.

Now prices in the $400's are 'overpriced'.

I expect Amazon to be crazy value conscience and come in with a really good price.
You are forgetting that back then everybody expected the iPad to be a real computer, with full MacOS.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #8
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
back then everybody expected the iPad to be a real computer
It's not a real computer?

Are the Android tablets?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
No camera = good for me....
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:51 PM   #10
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
Cameras just get you into trouble, ask Anthony Weiner. There you are innocently reading in a book. You try to do a dictionary look-up and the next thing you know you've sent a picture of your privates to somebody in your address book.

I have the impression that Amazon is releasing this as a reaction to Apple's in app purchase policy changes rather then a product that they've been developing for a couple years. Hopefully I'm wrong and it surprises me.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:55 AM   #11
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I like the feature set on my Nook Color. A mic would be nice and so would better speakers. Otherwise, it has what I need in a tablet.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:57 AM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I've never once used the cameras on my Transformer and doubt I will. I'm more interested in what kind of processing power it might have, if it's just one more Tegra 2 device I'm not very interested. Hopefully by the time it's out we'll be looking at Tegra 3 quad core devices.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:51 AM   #13
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Hopefully by the time it's out we'll be looking at Tegra 3 quad core devices.
You won't.

Amazon is going to go for high usability and price. Cutting the bleeding edge of technology doesn't equal high volume sales.
Old 07-14-2011, 11:42 AM   #14
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Note that this is only a description of one of two announced tablets. Hollywood was supposed to be the high end one. I kind of think this one would be the Hollywood, though if only one were going to have a camera, you'd think it would be that one.

Normally I'd actually agree with some above about the camera, but one of my long time mobile applications (one of the most expensive software suites I own, actually) has a cool live OCR function on its android version. I was looking forward to using it.

Also (at the WSJ writer) if you really feel you have to explain what a frenemy is, it's probably best to just paraphrase instead of quoting someone using the word. If your readers don't know by now, they probably prefer ongoing bliss.
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 01:25 PM   #15
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
the two area's that concern me are

1. Will amazon create a walled garden and lock out the full Android Market and make you use only their android app store. Can't imagine they would want a nook app on their Amazon tablet or a Netflix or a Hulu+ app.

2. screen aspect ratio, If there are going to be pushing Amazon Video I do not want to watch shows and movies in 4:3 aspect ratio. I hope they use 16:9 widescreen.

If they allow full access to the Android Market along with their own ecosystem they do have marketing to make this thing a real success.

I mean they took that original Kindle (the ugliest ereader ever invented) and made ereaders a household name. I can only imagine what they can do with a tablet and their ecosystem. I'm not fan of the kindle's but love Amazon as a company and have to give credit where credit is due.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote