Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-30-2011, 11:32 AM   #1
illdoya
illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
which ereaders accept external ebooks? (noob question)

Hello all! new to this board - have lurked a bit and gone thru old threads, great stuff here. thx in advance for any help

my question:

which ebook readers let you put ebooks on them from an external source (my computer)? for example, if i got a kindle - i would have to buy the books off the amazon store right?

my problem:

i have a pretty extensive ebook library. i have been slowly backing up my actual home library. I want to be able to put these books on an ereader without having to buy them again..

-------------------------------------------------------------------

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
illdoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:40 AM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Welcome to the site!

Sync'ing purchased books is simply a feature that manufacturers tout, but I believe all readers let you add your own books. With a Kindle, you just have to be sure to convert them to .mobi format if they're in some other one now.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #3
Tome Keeper
Addict
Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tome Keeper ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Keyboard, Surface Tablet, Android Smartphone, Laptop, Netbook
If the books you have at home do not have DRM then it is a simple process of converting them to mobi format using a program such as Calibre then putting them onto your Kindle.

If the books you have at home have DRM then you will need to either remove the DRM or buy a reader that is compatible with that DRM. This is also the problem when buying from stores other than the one associated with your reader. However, the removal of DRM is illegal or questionable in many countries.
Tome Keeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 11:46 AM   #4
Anke Wehner
Addict
Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Anke Wehner can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: PRS-650
I haven't heard of a reader that is that closed, either.

I think the keyword you might try using in websearches is "sideloading".

Also, what intheendofdays said.
Anke Wehner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:00 PM   #5
illdoya
illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.illdoya has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: none
thx for the fast replies!

i had no idea that you could put them into readers like the kindle..

as for DRM, im not sure if the books have it or not, how do i find out?

alot of my books are in .pdf too, will that file type normally need conversion?
illdoya is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-30-2011, 12:04 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
As has been mentioned, pretty much every ereader allows some sort of sideloading. I can't think of any dedicated unit that is 100% tied to only one store. I have a Kindle and I get mobi ebooks from a variety of sources.

We can give you more specific information if you tell us what types of ebooks you currently have (the file extension) and where you purchased them from. That way we can figure out what the most compatible option is for your existing files.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:29 PM   #7
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Illdoya -- how have you been reading e-books until now? I cannot comment on the Kindle specifically regarding PDF's. My Sony reads them, although the formatting isn't fully retained at sizes larger than Small (which isn't usually the greatest unfortunately).

DRM usually (almost always) involves needing to open the books with Adobe Digital Editions. How have you acquired the books you own now?
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 12:46 PM   #8
garrybuck
Connoisseur
garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.garrybuck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kindle
If you have the newer Kindle (the K3) it will read PDF files without conversion. If you have an older Kindle you will have to convert them yourself with Calibre, or you can use Amazon's service where you email them the file(s) and they do the conversion for you.

As to which of your books are DRM'd, it's impossible for us to tell. A good guess is if you got them for free, they're probably not. If you paid for them, they probably are, but that's not always true. The other way to find out for sure is to try to convert them with Calibre. It will convert non-DRM'd books, if they have DRM the conversion will fail.

The DRM issue begs the question, are you transitioning from a different reader? What is the format of your extensive ebook library? The answer to that question might help determine which reader is best for you.
garrybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 01:53 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The tone of most of these replies seems to assume that the OP has or would be getting
a Kindle. My reading of the original post would be that the Kindle would not be his first
(or best) choice.

If the only or primary factor is format and DRM compatibility, then the Ectaco JetBook
Lite would be hard to beat. But - that would not likely be the case. There are a number
of other factors that go into the decision.

If he has developed his library of ebooks over a long period of time then there is a good
chance that a good number of them are in the .pdb format that Palm used for their PDA
eBook format and became widely supported before the dedicated ereaders became
popular. (The JBL supports .pdb and the Secure eReader DRM scam for it.)

The OP mentioned .pdf formatted books and it may be that "i have been slowly backing
up my actual home library" might indicate that many of the .pdf are home scanned image
based .pdf. Generally speaking, a 5" display, like the JBL's, is a poor choice for viewing
such files. I suspect that the 9.7" displays announced may be as small as you would
want to go, for frequent viewing of such files. Most smaller displays will require "panning
and scrolling" to view each page at a readable size.

Luck;
Ken

Last edited by Ken Maltby; 04-30-2011 at 03:54 PM.
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 02:18 PM   #10
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
If you purchased the books from Amazon, simply look up the book on Amazon again, and look to see if it says "Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited", then it is DRM free. If they specify a number, then unfortunately it has DRM

If you purchased the books from elsewhere, it is hard to say. Did the books require you to have Adobe Digital Editions to download and read the book? If that is the case, then they most likely have DRM.

The biggest thing to keep in mind is if you buy a Kindle, you're mostly stuck buying from Amazon, unless the site sells without DRM. For instance Smashwords is a great site for books from indie authors, and they sell without DRM. If you go with a Kobo, nook, or Sony reader, then you have a little more selection. The nook supports the DRM that Barnes and Noble uses, as well as the standard Adobe Adept, which is what most ePubs with DRM, or some PDFs use. If you buy a non-nook reader that supports ePub, such KoboReader, Sony Reader, etc, then you will be able to buy from everywhere pretty much with the exception of B&N and Amazon.

If the books do not have DRM, then I would recommend you to use a program called Calibre, which organizes ebooks of all formats and lets you load them on to your device. It supports pretty much every reader under the sun. One of the coolest features of Calibre is the ability to convert books between formats. So, if you have a DRM free AZW or Mobi book (which is what the Kindle uses), and you want it in ePub, or vice versa, it will do it.

As far as removing DRM, that isn't always legal, depending on where you live. Due to that, we're not allowed to discuss it on the forum. If you really want to know, Google is your friend.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:41 PM   #11
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by garrybuck View Post
If you have the newer Kindle (the K3) it will read PDF files without conversion. If you have an older Kindle you will have to convert them yourself with Calibre, or you can use Amazon's service where you email them the file(s) and they do the conversion for you.
K2 has had a software update that allows them to read PDF without conversion. Not all K3 PDF features are present and the not quite dark enough text make PDFs with the usual page dimensions uncomfortable to read.

The Kindle DX models have always been able to read PDFs, the large screen hurts portability.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:22 AM   #12
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
As far as removing DRM, that isn't always legal, depending on where you live. Due to that, we're not allowed to discuss it on the forum. If you really want to know, Google is your friend.
And so is Apprentice Alf.

Regards, Alex
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #13
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
illdoya and j.p.s.

Welcome to Mobileread ….

If you remain unsure as to which device to get, then these links may help ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 09:56 AM   #14
1611mac
eWanderer
1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.1611mac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iMac,iPad3,iPhone5-Kindle Fire,Touch,PaperWhite
as info.. almost all books that go on my iPad are free public domain works from google books, project gutenberg, etc etc.

Take the Calibre suggestion (above) seriously.

Last edited by 1611mac; 05-01-2011 at 09:59 AM.
1611mac is offline   Reply With Quote