Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:46 AM   #1
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo
Kudos Kobo!!!! You guys are awesome!

Well, I finally did it. Broke my White first-gen Kobo's screen. It was in its purple leather Kobo pouch in my sports bag. I chucked it into the back of the car late last Sunday night and a couple other things too. When I got home and unpacked it, I saw immediately that something had pressed into the screen, maybe the edge of a book? Something with a sharp corner at least. The screen was wrecked !!

I was devastated! Even started thinking... Nook..? Kindle...? Ipad...??!!! <naw>

Then I had an I'll call the Kobo technical support number at 8:30 PM on a Monday Night - and they answered, with a real live person no less!

I told them I'd broken the screen and would like to know how much it would be to get it repaired! (After looking at alternatives, tablets really, I decided to go with the Kobo anyways, it does it's single job better than all those multi purpose, heavy gadgets).

The lovely lady at Kobo told me to send it in and they'll repair it FREE!! WOOT! This is a fairly new policy apparently and I am extremely lucky that it applied to yours truly. Two days later, I receive a Purolator envelope with a cardboard box enclosed with instructions and a prepaid waybill.

I packed it all up and sent it off to a Toronto address last Wednesday and today (Tuesday April 12th) I received a brand new (refurbished maybe) Kobo, exact same model and look as my original. It was as if it was fresh out of the box, 100 classic books on it and a recent firmware too.

All I can say is that THESE GUYS ROCK!!!! I think I may have been rude to the person on the phone because I interrupted her several times telling her how awesome they were!

tl:dr I messed up, broke my screen. Called Kobo, Kobo graciously took it back and replaced it all for FREE. I love Kobo! And will continue to support them!!
Old 04-12-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
Mysterio
Mysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheeseMysterio can extract oil from cheese

I agree.
I had a problem with my screen on the week-end. My Kobo was in sleep mode and when I pressed the power button the screen went all smeary and unreadable.
I went into my local Chapters poised for a fight and they just looked at it and yes "No problem" and replaced it right there with a new one.
That kind of service will keep my loyalty.
Advert
Old 04-12-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
Beach650
Beach650 began at the beginning.

My co-worker had a similar awesome experience - dropped his kobo, broke the screen. He took it into a chapters store and they gave him a new (maybe refurbished) one on the spot.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #4
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Oh this is good. I wanted to get one for my parents to share, but my mom is a total klutz. Now I may go through with the purchase.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
Anthem
Guru
Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Anthem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, OnePlus Nord
Impressive.
Advert
Old 04-13-2011, 04:18 PM   #6
techie42
Zealot
techie42 has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: KOBO and iPad
Teenage daughter, stuffed backpack...

...versus Kobo in and out of case.

The Kobo lost both times. We lost a few gadgets that way. But only the kobo's get replaced under warranty.

I bought a Kobo for the wife and I run Kobo on my ipad. I buy Kobo books.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:20 PM   #7
plaid
Connoisseur
plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!plaid , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo eReader
I've brought my Kobo to a Chapters store three times and received a new one promptly each time. They even upgraded me free to the wifi version.

Kobo History:
Original white Kobo, early May 2010. In August, the SD card reader on the device wasn't working properly, Capters replaced it with a black Kobo. In early December, the center portion of screen would not refresh, Chapters replaced with wifi Kobo - Yay! January a thin row about one pixel wide from top to bottom would not refresh, Chapters replaced it right away. VERY HAPPY with Chapters
Old 04-13-2011, 04:29 PM   #8
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
I've brought my Kobo to a Chapters store three times and received a new one promptly each time. They even upgraded me free to the wifi version.

Kobo History:
Original white Kobo, early May 2010. In August, the SD card reader on the device wasn't working properly, Capters replaced it with a black Kobo. In early December, the center portion of screen would not refresh, Chapters replaced with wifi Kobo - Yay! January a thin row about one pixel wide from top to bottom would not refresh, Chapters replaced it right away. VERY HAPPY with Chapters
all great to know. thanks.
chapters has been good to me over the years, never had any problems and hopefully i don't with my kobo, it's still only a month old.
Old 04-13-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Love hearing happy stories; thanks for sharing!
I've had good CS from kobo & Chapters, too.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #10
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
WOW.... Earlier this year I had slipt on the ice and broken the screen of my Kobo WiFi. I had at the time got in touch and it looked like I would have to pay for a new screen.

After seeing this thread, I opened a new ticket and it looks like it will be replaced! This will leave my wife and I with 3 Kobo WiFis
Old 04-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #11
amo
Teaist
amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.amo taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Aura ONE, Android cell phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
WOW.... Earlier this year I had slipt on the ice and broken the screen of my Kobo WiFi. I had at the time got in touch and it looked like I would have to pay for a new screen.

After seeing this thread, I opened a new ticket and it looks like it will be replaced! This will leave my wife and I with 3 Kobo WiFis
Sweet!
Old 04-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #12
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
That's good to know...
Old 05-19-2011, 11:03 PM   #13
Lizzie998
Lizzie998 began at the beginning.

I just wanted to ad my 2 cents worth.
I love my Kobo! I have had it for almost a year now and the only real problem that I had was the blue D-pad button split away from the frame. As an australian customer I contacted my local Borders store and they told me I would have to contact Kobo directly. I did and was told that there policy on returns (?) had just changed and they would send me a new unit along with pre-paid packaging to send my old one back. When i got the new (probably a refurb) unit it had the new update on it. It works beautifully. The Kobo customer service rep I spoke to was lovely.
It can be a little slow on start up but i do have almost 600 books loaded on it (not including the 100 pre-loaded ones) and Im never in that much of a rush that I cant wait a minute or two to start reading!
Old 05-22-2011, 01:31 PM   #14
corona
Addict
corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.corona knows what's going on.

Device: kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid View Post
My experience exactly. The first time they also gave me a gift card to cover the drop in price between when I bought the Kobo and when I brought it in to them(!)
Old 08-12-2014, 02:39 PM   #15
DentalCommander
DentalCommander began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura
Kobo service - Not no more

Just wanted to share, that despite all these lucky folks having their screens replaced when the e-ink part broke within a year: Kobo does not replace e-ink screens anymore.

In LESS THAN 1 MONTH, mine broke with no trauma (it was in my pocket, did not fall, etc.). The outside screen is fine. I sent pictures, they said they would not replace it nor help me fix it.

With so many books I want not available through Kobo, it breaking within a month, and no option to replace or even fix, I'm done.

By the way, I happened to be in Canada when this happened, so was able to bring it to a Chapters, and they were very clear that Kobo does not fix screens anymore... While I know of the evils of Amazon in regards to publishers and independent authors, their service to replace the screen up to 3 times in the first year is rather compelling.
Closed Thread