Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 07-31-2016, 03:52 AM   #901
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariaclaudia View Post
Hi:
I have a problem with a 4.3MB book. I start the plugin with only this book and spend almost 20 minutes with 1%. Other books 3.7MB average delay 4 minutes. Any suggestions?

Sorry my grammar
Regards from Lima, Perú
Blessings
@mariaclaudia - its presumably in the process of converting the book to ePub, the counting process needs ePub - even if you don't. What format do you have, and what sort of book - Bibles and Dictionaries are notorious for being slow/impossible to convert.

Your only choice is to wait - conversions ahve been know to take 24 hours, progress is stepwise not linear - ie 1% wait... wait... 16% wait... wait, 47% wait... and so on, and so forth.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2016 at 04:01 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 09:14 AM   #902
rpgmaker
Connoisseur
rpgmaker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2
If the book has been converted to epub already there must be something wrong with it. I routinely count the pages of technical books which are usually bigger than regular books and the count doesn't take more than a minute. Just yesterday a 7mb book was done in a few seconds.
rpgmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:36 AM   #903
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpgmaker View Post
If the book has been converted to epub already there must be something wrong with it. I routinely count the pages of technical books which are usually bigger than regular books and the count doesn't take more than a minute. Just yesterday a 7mb book was done in a few seconds.
Validate that EPUB with W3c (and/or Calibres editor). Something is odd (or really bloated: CSS, messy-nested Tags?)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 05:24 PM   #904
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
@rpgmaker - that will be true if EPUB precedes the other formats you have in the Preferences->Behaviour->Preferred input orderlist. But if Count Pages finds a format that precedes ePUB it will convert that to a temporary ePub and count that..

I suggested to Kiwidude some time back that he provide an option to use the format file with the most recent file system modified date as the basis for counting, or an option use the Preferred output format if it exists. I.E. three radio buttons, use latest format file, use preferred output format, use preferred input format. He didn't take up my suggestion, as I recall his reasoning related to ePub to ePub conversions.

The preferred input format list controls the behaviour of conversion, which for me at least takes precedence over counting pages. I rarely convert ePub to anything, let alone ePub.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 07-31-2016 at 05:33 PM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 06:26 PM   #905
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@rpgmaker - that will be true if EPUB precedes the other formats you have in the Preferences->Behaviour->Preferred input orderlist. But if Count Pages finds a format that precedes ePUB it will convert that to a temporary ePub and count that..
I didn't know that, good to know. Luckily it hasn't been a problem for me so far.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:12 PM   #906
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
mariaclaudia sent me a copy of the book. It is appears to be a collection, in Spanish, of short stories by Isaac Asimov. Each story is a separate file and there are 309 chapters. There are five seven small images plus a 115KB cover. As the file is 3.7MB in size, the rest is words.

The problem is in the word counting. It gets there eventually. I did it twice last night, once took about 35 minutes, the second time took about 57 minutes. When I did a page count only, it took less than five minutes. This is on a i7 laptop with 16GB of memory. It sat there all that time using a full CPU. From memory, there were about 1.5million words. I assume the problem is the large number of relatively small files. But, I'm sure I have a bigger book with more parts in it that doesn't take as long. I'll have to do some experimenting to see what's happening.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 08:30 PM   #907
mariaclaudia
Zealot
mariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of lightmariaclaudia is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks for all the answers. I'll try to explain me better this time.

This is not a generated epub conversion, but rather a union of several epub, as the "original" does not include as many stories as the epub that gives me problems, so I assume they have added pages.

Davidfor, I sent you a private message with a link to my account GDrive so you can download the file. However, I send you another private message with a link form my Dropbox account to download the book.

Best regards
Blessings

and of course, sorry my grammar, I try every day
mariaclaudia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 11:40 PM   #908
rpgmaker
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
mariaclaudia sent me a copy of the book. It is appears to be a collection, in Spanish, of short stories by Isaac Asimov. Each story is a separate file and there are 309 chapters. There are five seven small images plus a 115KB cover. As the file is 3.7MB in size, the rest is words.
I think I have that same collection and it only takes me around 15 seconds to do a complete count (5,585 pages in total). In fact, I think I may have an even bigger collection since I didn't have to perform the union of the epubs myself (I'm aware that there's another, less complete version of that epub online) so I didn't have to perform the union of the epubs. I think that this is what may be causing the plugin to misbehave.
Old 08-01-2016, 12:55 AM   #909
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I think I have that same collection and it only takes me around 15 seconds to do a complete count (5,585 pages in total). In fact, I think I may have an even bigger collection since I didn't have to perform the union of the epubs myself (I'm aware that there's another, less complete version of that epub online) so I didn't have to perform the union of the epubs. I think that this is what may be causing the plugin to misbehave.
I'm going to have to try this at home again. On my oldish Linux box at work running calibre 1.48, it took 15 seconds. The word count is 1,401,032 and the Adobe page count is 3774. The page count agrees with what my Glo HD shows.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2016, 01:43 PM   #910
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Is it possible to allow this PI to count AZW3 Pages using the ADE algorithm (the PI does the GF and GL stuff)?

The Reason: Historical
All my existing page counts were done when my Astak was my only device .
My eyes are trained for comparing those (and I do not want to update those as it dirties all the book records)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 06:42 AM   #911
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Hello!
I seem to have a problem with the Count Pages plugin: When the plugin counts the pages (that's what it should do) of downloaded fanfic (epubs), it sometimes 'skips' random epubs?

What happens in detail: I use FanFicFare to download stories from different fanfic-sites. Then the FFF calls Count Pages to count the pages of he epubs just downloaded and it puts the counted number of pages as a number in a column. Some time ago I realized that some books have no values in the pages-column. I don't get a result shown, even though the plugin didn't report any errors. The epubs that are not counted vary by size and source. When I start the Count Pages plugin manually to count those without a page number (a handful, never more than ten-twelve at once) it does its job - although even then sometimes it 'skips' one ebook or the other.

edit: I just downloaded another handful of stories. Even though no error message showed, there were some ebooks that had no pages counted. I looked into the details of the Count Pages job and found this:
(It's the last book in this list)
Spoiler:
Code:
Count Page/Word Statistics
DeDRM v6.1.0: In __init__
DeDRM v6.1.0: In load_resources
DeDRM v6.1.0: verdir D:\Calibre Portable\Calibre Settings\plugins\DeDRM\6.1.0
DeDRM v6.1.0: In initialize
-------------------------------
Logfile for book ID 24467 (Lest I Wither)
	Found 42 pages
	Page count: 42.0

Logfile for book ID 24468 (The Mirror of Maybe)
	Found 405 pages
	Page count: 405.0

Logfile for book ID 24470 (Both Sides)
	Found 20 pages
	Page count: 20.0

Logfile for book ID 24469 (School Work)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.jobs", line 141, in do_statistics_for_book
  File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 53, in get_page_count
  File "calibre_plugins.count_pages.statistics", line 88, in _open_epub_file
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 144, in __enter__
  File "site-packages\calibre\ebooks\oeb\iterator\book.py", line 87, in run_extract_book
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 229, in fork_job
  File "site-packages\calibre\utils\ipc\simple_worker.py", line 114, in communicate
WorkerError: Failed to connect to worker process

Calibre and all pplug-ins are up to date. I don't know what is going wrong. Could you maybe help me? Thank you.

Last edited by firefoxxy; 10-16-2016 at 07:49 AM. Reason: updated information: added Count Pages log
firefoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 03:46 PM   #912
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Personally, I'd start by disabling DeDRM except when you need it. I can't imagine why it's being initialized during CP background processing, but clearly it is. And the problem is apparently something to do with the background job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxxy View Post
Hello!
I seem to have a problem with the Count Pages plugin: When the plugin counts the pages (that's what it should do) of downloaded fanfic (epubs), it sometimes 'skips' random epubs?
Code:
Logfile for book ID 24469 (School Work)
WorkerError: Failed to connect to worker process
JimmXinu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 04:15 PM   #913
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Another thing to try is to load the ePub that fails into the Calibre eBook editor and validate it. It could be due to errors in the ePub.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 03:18 AM   #914
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefoxxy View Post
Hello!
Calibre and all pplug-ins are up to date.
Not really. At least I see one PI isn't up to date and more than one year old. I can't remember, if there was also a problems with epub and alf (perhaps someone else?). Maybe it is a good idea to check / update first all PI's and then reload the original book again into calibre.
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #915
firefoxxy
Zealot
firefoxxy began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Divingduck: I thought that a plug-in has updates and then shows a little message in calibre. The DeDRM which you mean by being out of date never noticed me for an update.

Edit: I have installed the newest version of DeDRM. Everything seems to be okay now. BTW the automatic Count Pages Job now shows this:
Code:
Logfile for book ID 24476 (Unhappiest Potions Master on Earth)
	Found 17 pages
	Page count: 17.0
Thank you all!

Last edited by firefoxxy; 10-17-2016 at 03:06 PM. Reason: updated information
firefoxxy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
count, count pages, page count, pages, plugin