Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 09:09 AM   #46
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Oh No! Not Explicit Confirmation!
Did I use the word explicit!!?? Eeek. Don't want to be suspended again...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #47
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Did I use the word explicit!!?? Eeek. Don't want to be suspended again...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #48
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
So somehow being available as an ebook in the US would transform a book that only seems to be literary into one that really is literary? Gotcha.
Please see post #28 (and your post it was in reply to).
Quote:
I can't help thinking that your issues are related to format and disinterest rather than literary merit.
Think what you like. I did think the book looked interesting. It's not like it was poetry or a play, something that I would be much more likely to skip.

I have 2 criteria for reading a book now, it must pique my interest, and it must be available as an ebook (where I can get it).

I would love to broaden my horizons a little and read some "literary works". There are a ton of "must read" literary books out out there in ebook form, and I'll never have the time to read them all. I'll just take a pass on this one and join in the next month when one is chosen that is in ebook form.

I don't have anything against pbooks; If it was only available as a stone tablet, or papyrus, I'd skip it also.

I hope everyone enjoys this months selection, see you all next month (hopefully).
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:33 AM   #49
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Well in my opinion Spring Snow is definitely literature and I am glad 10 people have expressed agreement. There will always be those who will not agree. If you can't even get the horse up to the water you sure as hell won't be able to get it to drink. Only three people stepped up to offer their name in the lottery. Anyone who meets the criteria (John F.?) well be able to offer there names at the next lottery month. I won't be eligible to participate.

Having a poll set-up for this confirmation process in the future sounds like a pretty good idea actually. Clear about each person's intent, easy to track, and those who want to actually post comments would still be able to do so.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:56 AM   #50
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
JohnF and fantasyfan both explicitly say it's literary and use a form of the word confirm, so I think that's clearcut. And I'd be willing to infer that since orlok plans to read it as the November selection, he thinks it qualifies.

Just my 2¢ in case they don't revisit the thread. And there's no reason why a latecomer couldn't confirm, either.
Just to clear up something for the record:

I intended my post to be a confirmation if allowed. Sun surfer cleared up my problem and so it became a definite confirmation and Issybird is correct in so regarding it.

Last edited by fantasyfan; 10-28-2011 at 12:37 PM.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #51
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Only three people stepped up to offer their name in the lottery. Anyone who meets the criteria (John F.?) well be able to offer there names at the next lottery month. I won't be eligible to participate.
Yeah sorry - I didn't want to be in the lottery because I didn't want to pick a book.

I was happy to sit back and let someone else pick a book and then see if it interested me.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #52
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
Yeah sorry - I didn't want to be in the lottery because I didn't want to pick a book.
same here - felt bad for having pushed Peer Gynt!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 04:03 AM   #53
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I just didn't notice the poll--mainly because I was interested in the election here in Ireland!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #54
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
same here - felt bad for having pushed Peer Gynt!
That's kooky talk. Peer Gynt appealed to a plurality and was chosen freely. Oh-- you weren't sending out threatening PMs, were you?

Next time put your hat in the ring!
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2011, 01:13 PM   #55
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Oh-- you weren't sending out threatening PMs, were you?
damn, you caught me out
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 04:58 PM   #56
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Hamlet53, would you like to lead discussion when I start the thread on the 17th? Or would you rather me ask for a volunteer?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 07:12 PM   #57
thebestjeter
Addict
thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thebestjeter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi and Kindle DX Graphite
I'm joining in with this club. Finally, a book club of people really interested in LITERATURE. I have read Mishima before. His book "Confessions of a mask" is amazing. I truly enjoyed it. I haven't read anything else though. This going to be the second approach.
thebestjeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 09:15 AM   #58
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
Hamlet53, would you like to lead discussion when I start the thread on the 17th? Or would you rather me ask for a volunteer?
Why don't you putout a request for a volunteer. If no one else wishes to do so though I have finished this and will be willing to get the discussion going on the date.
Old 11-15-2011, 03:32 PM   #59
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
OK, would anyone like to volunteer to lead the discussion when I start the thread on the 17th?
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:50 AM   #60
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun surfer View Post
OK, would anyone like to volunteer to lead the discussion when I start the thread on the 17th?

Since no one had interest in doing this I will start things off. I spent some time last night organizing my thoughts and will be ready to post something today.

Tags
book club, literary, literature, lottery, voting