Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 AM   #1
gardenstate
Groupie
gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gardenstate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1 and PRS-950
New trend? digitize your books for $1USD each.

A Japanese Company opened up in the United States and charges $1 each to scan and digitize your paper book. PRO - low cost way to convert your library & now you can view it on you ereader CON - book spine is cut to allow pages to be scanned easily

http://www.forbes.com/sites/booked/2...tner=yahoofeed
gardenstate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
It's a great idea, but don't forget:

People are still going to have to proof and format the digital copies against the cut-spined originals.

Still, certain books in my collection warrant that kind of attention.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:36 AM   #3
Skibble
Runs With Scissors
Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skibble ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Unfortunately, the books I would most like to digitize are precisely the ones I could not bear to see destroyed -- Victorian histories, rare books on archaeology, etc. Even if the purpose was to digitize them so I wouldn't have to keep the books anymore myself, I wouldn't want to ruin them in the process. Someone else might want them! They're such lovely volumes!
Skibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I suspect that this may fall foul of the law. It's one thing to scan books yourself; it's far from clear whether paying someone else to do it for you still falls under the scope of "fair use". It'll be interesting to see if they do get taken to court over this.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:41 AM   #5
wayrad
Fanatic
wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayrad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HTC One M8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
People are still going to have to proof and format the digital copies against the cut-spined originals.
True. I've always found proofing and formatting to be at least 90% of the work.

This scanning service might be a good option for those with only one or two books to scan, but I should think that the break-even point between shipping costs to Japan and the purchase of an inexpensive scanner with a basic bundled OCR application would be reached rather quickly.

Last edited by wayrad; 08-12-2011 at 07:45 AM.
wayrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:58 AM   #6
jabberwock_11
Addict
jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jabberwock_11 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Aluratek Libre Pro
There is no shipping to Japan, the company has opened a US location, which was sort of the point of the article. Their web site lists them as being in San Jose, CA.

The downside is that the $1 is per 100 pages and the files will be PDFs, which are not the easiest critters to convert into other formats without themselves needing serious proofing and format tweaking. Still not having to scan and proof an entire book yourself might make it worth the cost, especially for paperbacks. I HATE scanning and proofing.

Here's a direct link to their web site: http://1dollarscan.com/about.php
jabberwock_11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 07:59 AM   #7
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I suspect that this may fall foul of the law. It's one thing to scan books yourself; it's far from clear whether paying someone else to do it for you still falls under the scope of "fair use". It'll be interesting to see if they do get taken to court over this.
I say this would be perfectly fine in my jurisdiction. It's a private copy for somebody else's exclusive use, our Copyright Act allows for that. Why do you think that's an issue? People obviously did buy a copy (heck, it's destroyed in the process), so this is really only format shifting.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:15 AM   #8
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabberwock_11 View Post
The downside is that the $1 is per 100 pages and the files will be PDFs, which are not the easiest critters to convert into other formats without themselves needing serious proofing and format tweaking.
That sounds like they are just scanning them as images, you'd have to do the whole OCR process yourself?

Quote:
Still not having to scan and proof an entire book yourself might make it worth the cost, especially for paperbacks. I HATE scanning and proofing.
If they did a good job, I'd be tempted. Yes I can scan them myself, but my time is worth more than $1 per 200 pages. The risk is that they do a crappy job, with missing or misaligned pages, and the original book is gone.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:16 AM   #9
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_librarian View Post
I say this would be perfectly fine in my jurisdiction. It's a private copy for somebody else's exclusive use, our Copyright Act allows for that. Why do you think that's an issue? People obviously did buy a copy (heck, it's destroyed in the process), so this is really only format shifting.
To be formal about it, you could transfer legal ownership of the book to them, they then scan in their own copy of the book, destroy the paper version and transfer ownership of the electronic version to you.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 08:23 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
It is format shifting, but I'm not sure if it's OK for someone else to do the format shifting for you. I may of course be wrong. Time will tell!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:01 AM   #11
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
For a buck, will they do a job as good as Google's book scan?
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
A scanner runs $59 for a new one if you hit a sale at office depot.

I wouldn.t pay to have any conversions done thate weren't to proofed .EPub or .Mobi.
Most of the works I want done are out of print,

I would want to send them off to the author or their heirs and lobby them to get them back on the market.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:34 AM   #13
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
A scanner runs $59 for a new one if you hit a sale at office depot.
It's simple, it depends on how much your time is worth (to you and in general). 1$ for 100 pages? I'd sign up in a heartbeat if I didn't care too much about my pbooks to see them destroyed in the process (and the service were available over here, which it is not).
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:38 AM   #14
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
On one hand, I'd like to be able to scan some of my paper books to add them to the ereader... But, I couldn't bring myself to destroy them in the fashion required to do so using this method.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 11:36 AM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
because after they transfer the digital copy to you they would/could retain a digital copy of their own , which would run afoul of the copyright restrictions
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote