Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 12:11 PM   #31
fratermus
e-bookworm
fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fratermus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW2, K3, KF2, Touch (dying)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Go ahead and prove me wrong, then, if you disbelieve me .
I don't disbelieve you; I think your statement is needlessly incorrect. I have already presented evidence that refutes your claim.

The video I offered showed:
  1. a NT kindle
  2. back removed
  3. battery replaced
  4. and functional afterwards

Q.E.D.

I will bow out out of the conversation since I have a feeling not entirely unlike talking to a wall. Either that or I am unwittingly involved in a particularly subtle piece of performance art.
fratermus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:42 PM   #32
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, Note Pro 12.2, Honor 10
Not a fan of these very expensive basically disposable electronics what really bugs me is reading tech sites many commentators actually claim a device is inferior because it can have it's battery changed, now either every few posts are by paid shills or the worlds gone mad.

We are actually at a stage were it seems people are demanding devices that will certainly be landfill in a few years, the whole thing makes no sense to me I can see why manufacturers want it but I can't figure how did they brainwash so many into thinking less is more.
Teknikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM   #33
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teknikal View Post
We are actually at a stage were it seems people are demanding devices that will certainly be landfill in a few years, the whole thing makes no sense to me I can see why manufacturers want it but I can't figure how did they brainwash so many into thinking less is more.
This suggests that the only reason people would throw the device away is because of the battery issue, but which is an extremely questionable assumption. I have a an old Creative Nomad II mp3 player which takes batteries and still works, but I never use it, despite the fact that I also have the 64MB (not GB) SmartMedia card it uses. Battery life is just not a limiting factor for these devices.

Note, too, that devices with non-user-replaceable batteries aren't the same as units with non-replaceable batteries: Apple will replace the batteries in iPods, iPhones, and iPads for a fee ($49-$99), which is reasonable enough after 5 years or so (I have a 7 year old iPod that is still on the original battery).
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 02:20 AM   #34
Teknikal
Fanatic
Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Teknikal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
This suggests that the only reason people would throw the device away is because of the battery issue, but which is an extremely questionable assumption. I have a an old Creative Nomad II mp3 player which takes batteries and still works, but I never use it, despite the fact that I also have the 64MB (not GB) SmartMedia card it uses. Battery life is just not a limiting factor for these devices.

Note, too, that devices with non-user-replaceable batteries aren't the same as units with non-replaceable batteries: Apple will replace the batteries in iPods, iPhones, and iPads for a fee ($49-$99), which is reasonable enough after 5 years or so (I have a 7 year old iPod that is still on the original battery).
Well i've a dead iPod 64gb 3rdgen which I actually bought new in 2010 and now the battery is completely dead, I've been told they can't change the battery and I need to buy the new model. I also have an archos 404cam media player which is also now dead due to an internal battery.

I've had to have a T1 replaced when the reset button didn't function, if it had a removeable battery I could have just pulled it out and put it back in.

Also a built in battery is a very limiting factor if your out and about I have two for my phone and one is an extended one that let me significantly boost the devices battery life. With an internal battery that is impossible I'm honestly sick of being burnt by these internal batteries they are terrible for the consumer.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #35
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Quote:
Well i've a dead iPod 64gb 3rdgen which I actually bought new in 2010 and now the battery is completely dead, I've been told they can't change the battery and I need to buy the new model. I also have an archos 404cam media player which is also now dead due to an internal battery.
iPod 3rd gen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2lRuaoiaBhg
Archos 404: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCxACqlwY5E

Quote:
Also a built in battery is a very limiting factor if your out and about I have two for my phone and one is an extended one that let me significantly boost the devices battery life. With an internal battery that is impossible I'm honestly sick of being burnt by these internal batteries they are terrible for the consumer.

Impossible?

http://www.amazon.com/New-Trent-Exte...e+battery+case
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
Teknikal
Fanatic

Yeah I know you can buy third party batteries but the point is you have solder the things in and probably break the device to begin with either trying to get at them or soldering, plus the fact these types of batteries can be very nasty and explode if their not exactly right it's not even worth the effort in my opinion.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yeah I know you can buy third party batteries but the point is you have solder the things in and probably break the device to begin with either trying to get at them or soldering, plus the fact these types of batteries can be very nasty and explode if their not exactly right it's not even worth the effort in my opinion.
Not one of those required solder.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:52 PM   #38
Teknikal
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Not one of those required solder.
From what I'vve read of 3rd gen iPod Touch it does need to be soldered and it's a very tricky job as you can see the attachment strip is very thin and breaks easily while you are trying to work with it. In fact most of the battery reviews I've read had been people who failed and broke their new battery trying to fit it.

Also my Archos is more complicated version than the plain 404 it also has a camera in the way as well as the hard drive.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:26 PM   #39
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
From what I'vve read of 3rd gen iPod Touch it does need to be soldered and it's a very tricky job as you can see the attachment strip is very thin and breaks easily while you are trying to work with it.
Looking closer, I was incorrect. You are correct, that particular one does require solder. An easy job for a tech -- not so easy for somebody who's never done any soldering.
Old 06-01-2013, 01:32 PM   #40
my two cents
my two cents began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
when my 14 month old Kobo Vox failed I was told by a rep at Kobo to junk it and by a new one because they do not sell any batteries and cannot order one. Best Buy basically to me the same thing. I guess they expect me to eat the almost $300 I paid for it. I phoned the battery maker in Taiwan but could not get connected to anyone who spoke English. I recently saw on cnet that the batteries are not very good. Maybe that is why the Vox was discontinued. Can't see myself investing in another Kobo.
my two cents is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:01 PM   #41
Tireman9
Tireman9 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook color
Replaced battery on wife's 3 year old Kindle. battery & tool from ebay. Youtube video made it easy.
Much better than throwing it away. I would consider a replaceable battery a definite PLUS when we ever get a new e-reader.
Tireman9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 02:57 PM   #42
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
How much was it? And how long time did it take?
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 03:39 PM   #43
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by my two cents View Post
I recently saw on cnet that the batteries are not very good. Maybe that is why the Vox was discontinued. Can't see myself investing in another Kobo.
Was it a recent cnet report on that almost two year old device? As far as i know, they discontinued it because a new model--the Arc-- was released. I had the Vox, not a great tablet, but not at all a bad reader with extra capabilities, which is what it was sold as being. It also had full access to the Play store fairly early on.

I recently used a Kobo Arc for a little while. Not bad at all, though I prefer my Nexus 7.

I like removable batteries, too. There are people who have succesfully replaced Kobo batteries--but they are not designed to be replaceable and you have to be fairly brave to do it. Then again, if trashing the machine is the alternative, then trying a replacement might seem more reasonable.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 04:31 PM   #44
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I like removable batteries, too. There are people who have succesfully replaced Kobo batteries--but they are not designed to be replaceable and you have to be fairly brave to do it. Then again, if trashing the machine is the alternative, then trying a replacement might seem more reasonable.
The AuraHD's battery looks easy enough to replace, if you can defeat the
glue. The power connection just lifts off, at least mine does now, I may
have broken it loose at some point.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=649

I couldn't figure out how to just reuse the image, so I linked to the post
I first used it in.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:48 AM   #45
applesauce
Addict
applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.applesauce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle oasis
My husband has replaced the battery in my daughters ipod. It was easy for him but he deals with soldering every day in his work with car alarms sensors etc.
My battery on my iphone 3 just did not seem to be holding a charge last week, it showed fully charged when done on my computer but was flat within a day. I ordered a new battery on ebay for my husband to replace. But he told me to let him charge it using a usb charger attached to a power point. Bang one night charge on that and it holds it charge again fine. Just a thought for others to try. Might or might not work for them.
I really do notice how much shorter a full charge lasts on my paperwhite over my touch.

applesauce
applesauce is offline   Reply With Quote