Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-11-2006, 11:26 AM   #1
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Swedish design study of future e-paper

Let's face it: E-paper does not deserve to be called e-paper unless it can be folded and you can swing for a fly with it. Students of the Halmstad Media IT came up with the design study of an highly portable e-paper that looks like it could win our hearts. The following three videos show how this e-paper might be used one day:

http://media-it.hh.se/Movies/KARIN_SV.mpeg
http://media-it.hh.se/Movies/OLIVIA_SV.mpeg
http://media-it.hh.se/Movies/%D6ZGUR_SV.mpeg
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	swed01.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	2155   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed02.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	2156   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed03.jpg
Views:	583
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	2157   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed04.jpg
Views:	577
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	2158   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed05.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	14.8 KB
ID:	2159   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed06.jpg
Views:	568
Size:	6.4 KB
ID:	2160   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed07.jpg
Views:	601
Size:	9.5 KB
ID:	2161   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed08.jpg
Views:	591
Size:	9.8 KB
ID:	2162   Click image for larger version

Name:	swed09.jpg
Views:	590
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	2163  
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:27 AM   #2
segatang
Connoisseur
segatang has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kolin i-library
Amazing!
It is the future prototype and applications of e-paper.
If the dream comes true, it will change the world of books -- a digital Gutenburg revolution!
segatang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2006, 08:16 AM   #3
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Nice! I like the way they achieve flexibility without being too flimsy, which I think will add to its impression of longetivity and practicality. A solid spine makes sense from an engineering and ergonomics standpoint, that's a product I'd check out. And a good run-through of the things you can do with it, and how.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 08:18 AM   #4
arivero
Guru
arivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it isarivero knows what time it is

Device: NCR3125, Nokia 770,...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan
its impression of longevity
I am sorry but if the image change, you never get an impression of longevity. Paper gets it because it is static. Even a poor print in a toilet tissue seems to have longevity.
arivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2006, 03:35 PM   #5
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Sorry, I meant the longetivity, or long life, of the device itself. As in, if the device looked flimsy, it would not be perceived as being able to last very long.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arivero
Even a poor print in a toilet tissue seems to have longevity.
Not after it gets wet! (I probably shouldn't have gone there...)

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 11-13-2006 at 03:39 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2006, 10:49 AM   #6
saïd
saïd began at the beginning.

I think e-paper can make a technological revolution by the three advantages it has: flexibility, no luminosity (it just reflects light), and possibility of changing the content, be it an image or an article.
But what I really want to know in what level the industry of e-paper is now. Are E-ink and Polymer vision and Hitachi and bridgestone and all the others, already selling e-paper devices? I mean, is there any newspaper that is ready to make its publications using e-paper? Are books and newspapers the only fields e-paper can be used in? Does any one have an idea?
saïd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 11:47 AM   #7
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
Honestly I am not very impressed. I think this is a step backwards instead of a step forwards. The bad thing about a traditional flimsy paper product is that is is cumbersome, bulky, and inconvenient. A paper back or newspaper (although light) is hard to hold in a comfortable way. With a newspaper you have to keep adjusting your grip because it is flexible, this is the same with magazines, and paperbacks have a tendency to spring back on you if you are not holding them firmly enough. I think that the current trend of ebook readers encased in a plastic or metal frame with the use of a stylus or buttons is a far superior idea. Rigidity combined with thinness and lightness is the present and future of ebook readers. I don't think this flexible magazine looking thing will ever get off the ground.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 09:48 AM   #8
Lima_dat
English ppl ride potatoe?
Lima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enoughLima_dat will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utahcowboy View Post
Honestly I am not very impressed. I think this is a step backwards instead of a step forwards. The bad thing about a traditional flimsy paper product is that is is cumbersome, bulky, and inconvenient. A paper back or newspaper (although light) is hard to hold in a comfortable way. With a newspaper you have to keep adjusting your grip because it is flexible, this is the same with magazines, and paperbacks have a tendency to spring back on you if you are not holding them firmly enough. I think that the current trend of ebook readers encased in a plastic or metal frame with the use of a stylus or buttons is a far superior idea. Rigidity combined with thinness and lightness is the present and future of ebook readers. I don't think this flexible magazine looking thing will ever get off the ground.
If a flexible screen was included in a "hardcover" device, it would be much more durable. Accidentally sit on your kindle 3.0? No problem, just flatten the screen back out. With a flexible screen I can see these devices being built to withstand much more abuse than current devices can take. "Sony Tacti-book 580"

"Paperback" and "hardcover" e-readers?
Lima_dat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 10:11 AM   #9
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
I see flexible e-paper being used in signage applications (in-store retail window displays, trade shows, etc.). Stores want the flexibility to rearrange their merchandise and sign layout, but need the convenience of updating their signs instantly to reflect new prices, sales, and so on.

For personal book/media readers, a robust, rigid device makes the most sense.

Hmmm, flexible e-paper... digital window shades? Don't like looking out your window at your neighbor's back yard? Roll down your shade, and hit the "beach" button.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:01 PM   #10
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
For a personal device I think touch screen is more important, but folding/rolling would also be useful - it would be really nice to be able to open the enotepad and get twice the display area. The cellphone that folds out an e-ink display is quite cool in that respect, it's just tiny. Give me a Sony Reader that unfolds to twice as wide as the current device and I'd be much happier. The problem would be finding a way to make it usable when folded too, which might mean wrapping the display around the outside when it is folded.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 01:23 AM   #11
Utahcowboy
Connoisseur
Utahcowboy is on a distinguished road

Device: Cybook Gen3
[For personal book/media readers, a robust, rigid device makes the most sense.

Hmmm, flexible e-paper... digital window shades? Don't like looking out your window at your neighbor's back yard? Roll down your shade, and hit the "beach" button.[/QUOTE]

Yup, and yup.

Maybe they will make the blinds out of e-paper. Rigid is definitely what works, look at all the trouble people go through to read a newspaper on a bus. Fold and refold, shake so the corner will go in the right position, not to mention pointing it towards good lighting. Flexible e-paper is that hassle all over again, who would want that. My Cybook is so light and easy to carry and use, I would never go back to anything flexible again.
Utahcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 11:19 AM   #12
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
To digress: is all of that really a hassle? Or an art form? To be honest, I was always awed at the way my father read the newspaper at the breakfast table. There was something extremely masculine and at the same time graceful at how he managed to read the paper one-handed, with one-eye on me and my brothers, all while eating his eggs.

Then, when all was finished, he could in one motion, stand, kiss my mother fondly, and through a ingenious feat of unconscious origami fold and tuck the paper under his arm.

Me? I drop my blackberry in the toilet.

Last edited by Taylor514ce; 03-01-2008 at 04:10 PM.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 08:21 PM   #13
Cthulhu
Technologist
Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cthulhu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SONY Reader PRS-500
Why would a robot with a brain the size of a small planet need an external internetting device?

Taylor is an impostor!!

V.A.V. the rigidity argument,
If I could have a legal pad sized sheet of e-paper that rolled up around a central scroll spine, with a nifty spot for a stylus and a few rudimentary buttons, that would be nice, the best of both worlds.
However, I think Utah has it a bit skewed. Doubt very much that electro-phoretic displays will ever be as flimsy as a newspaper. The basic structure of the product requires some thickness, and I think also there is the need for rigid portions, like the power source and some circuitry.

Not having ever seen a native, unenclosed display, I imagine it would be like a sheet of laminate, or maybe a thin, shiny magazine that bent only when you wanted it to.

In terms of durability, a rigid sheet of the stuff capped by glass does not seem like it would survive many falls, or drops into the watercloset for that matter.
Cthulhu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:28 AM   #14
europas_ice
Groupie
europas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't littereuropas_ice doesn't litter

Device: iPhone 11 (Kindle app & iBooks)
Wouldn't the flexibility increase durability, in that it wouldn't break if dropped, etc. And also I think it would weigh less, which would be a bonus for me.
europas_ice is offline   Reply With Quote