Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

Old 01-03-2014, 03:56 PM   #31
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
I wish I had known that. I would have put Tranströmer up again. Great stuff that.
I see I shall have to add Tranströmer to my poetry pile from the library. In your Nobel quest, have you read Montale yet?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 04:04 PM   #32
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
I'll withdraw my nomination in that case and will let you all carry on. Sorry I got over-excited there for a moment....you know how those poets are.

Enjoy!
Now why'd you go and do that? I was just about to post that I liked the poem!

Seriously, the nominations are one of my favorite parts of the process (well, I like it all ). I always find something(s) intriguing that I hadn't known. I figure selection is a crapshoot, but the list is a great resource.

(Skulks away. *grumble, grumble*)
Old 01-03-2014, 04:07 PM   #33
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I love his work, but I would not consider it fitting as 'literary' poetry nor mine, we're both more contemporary poets. It's all good.

No Grumbling....

I'd definitely recommend Billy Collins' Aimless Love though it has a ton on excellent new poems as well as selections from his last few books! 4/5 stars per my review of it.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:13 PM   #34
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Ooh, I have used up all my votes, or I would certainly support the Ted Hughes book.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:46 PM   #35
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
I nominate the poetry of Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Nearly unknown when he was alive, Hopkins is now regarded as one of the three great poets of the Victorian Era--along with Robert Browning and Tennyson. His innovative use of rhythm, imagery, structure and syntax make his poetry sound far more modern than any of his contemporaries.

Most of his poems have a religious theme but again they are anything but conventional. The "Terrible Sonnets", for instance are among the finest poetic expressions of the thin ice of belief over the pit of despair.

His poetry is available in the first edition by his friend Robert Bridges for free and there are many ebook editions--such as that by Delphi--which give good value for money.
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:48 PM   #36
issybird
o saeclum infacetum

I'd love to see Hopkins nominated, but as with 'possum, I'm out of votes.
Old 01-03-2014, 05:51 PM   #37
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post

Well, first of all I am biased: especially the Inferno is something that is drilled into each school kid, so even if the words are difficult to understand, it is very musical, so hard to render I guess (it does rhyme). I have had a look around, and for the moment the one that seems closer "music wise" is Dorothy Sayer's translation (I've found it in Penguin).

I love the Sayers translation!
Old 01-03-2014, 05:53 PM   #38
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Okay, I bite and nominate the contemporary poet:
Billy Collins: Aimless Love

And I support:
Gerard Manley Hopkins
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 05:54 PM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Hey!

I guess I have to second it in that case

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #40
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
As we've deduced that the waiting period is waived in the literary club, I would like to put forth:

Birthday Letters by Ted Hughes again.

I read it in 2012 and would like a re-read as well as some discussion.
oh no, I would have loved that, but i've run out of nominations, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post

And I support:
Gerard Manley Hopkins
then have a think about Larkin (Hint Hint), that is as modern as it gets. (just thinking of This be the verse...)
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 07:08 AM   #41
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I see I shall have to add Tranströmer to my poetry pile from the library. In your Nobel quest, have you read Montale yet?
No I've not read any Montale, though I will eventually get to him I am sure. I've been approaching it starting from the earliest date and with that I've only just started on the 1910-1920 range. It's better than that as when others have come up here I've read out of order. For example I've recently read The Grass is Singing by Doris Lessing, Cairo Modern by Naguib Mahfouz and Away from Her by Alice Munro. I have been only counting books read since I started using Goodreads, and that has left gaps of authors that I have read in the 55+ years prior to that. I would go back and add those if I knew how to put in dates that would not imply that I had just read the book.

I really like Tranströmer though others may differ as his poems tend to be short with a very modern sensibility. Though enough people must appreciate him to have won him the prize. Here are a few examples:

http://tomastranstromer.net/poetry/poetry-3/

and this is one of my favorites though I first read it in a slightly different translation I like better:

http://behindthelinespoetry.blogspot...m-african.html

Last edited by Hamlet53; 01-04-2014 at 07:30 AM.
Old 01-04-2014, 07:10 AM   #42
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Just realized that I still have one more vote. Cast that for Gerard Manley Hopkins.
Old 01-04-2014, 08:06 AM   #43
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamlet53 View Post
Just realized that I still have one more vote...
It looks like you're out of votes. You nominated Heaney and Burns and supported Stevens and Dante.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2014, 09:57 AM   #44
fantasyfan
Wizard

I'll fourth High Windows by Philip Larkin.
Old 01-04-2014, 10:22 AM   #45
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'll support Hopkins and Ted Hughes.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote