Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-11-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
B&N Chairman talks to shareholders, no outlook for Nook Media

Barnes & Noble Chairman Len Riggio grilled by shareholders, answers some questions, evades others:
  • New B&N.com pbook storefront due April 2014
  • They're considering options...
  • Decision not to buy the storefronts is a "private" decision

About selling Nook:

Quote:
After more questions along the line of “how long before a decision and how much loss is too much,” from shareholders, an affable Gregory Maffei, CEO of Liberty Media, a major shareholder that owns about 17% of B&N, took the stage. “Look, no one is happy with Nook, we know we need a new e-reader strategy but it’s not easy when you look at [the competitors] we’re up against.” Maffei said, “It’s not like Liberty Media is against split-offs but it would be difficult to do at this time.”
Source: Publishers Weekly

Translation: you can't sell if no one is buying.

Odd to see the shareholder fixation on dividends: the company is (maybe) six months from Chapter 11 and they want to drain cash from it?

Related: B&N reports $87m loss for Q1 2014, NOOK business plunges 20%

(image: Mike Kalasnik / Flickr)

Last edited by Alexander Turcic; 09-11-2013 at 08:52 AM. Reason: moved to frontpage
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 08:40 AM   #2
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
That sucks. Looks like Nook will be on the backburner for awhile. At least until they come up with a plan. I cant see them having something ready for the holidays. Hopefully they can streamline their paper book business. They need to downsize the store a bit I think. Lower operating costs. Not to say they cant have other merchandise like they do now. Just cut it back a little.

Last edited by Tony1988; 09-11-2013 at 09:34 AM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:26 AM   #3
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
If you own an HD or HD+ now might be the time to think about getting a spare charger cable. Or two.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
If you own an HD or HD+ now might be the time to think about getting a spare charger cable. Or two.
Why?? That would be a waste of money. Most people don't even hold onto their devices for more than a year, two years tops. If they do its for backup. Not to mention the fact that there will be plenty of spare charger cables for the nook tablets on ebay and elsewhere for awhile.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:09 AM   #5
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony1988 View Post
Why?? That would be a waste of money. Most people don't even hold onto their devices for more than a year, two years tops. If they do its for backup. Not to mention the fact that there will be plenty of spare charger cables for the nook tablets on ebay and elsewhere for awhile.
I think we are talking about different devices. I mean the Nook tablets. I don't see them getting replaced after a year. I don't see many devices getting replaced after a year unless there is a damned good reason to upgrade. Even then, I want a spare cable. No cable, no charge, no device. Fairly basic. As to the cables, they are hard to find in the UK. The 30 pin connector means that no cheapo supplier, even Dealextreme, has bothered with them. I've only ever seen one on ebay in the UK, they certainly don't turn up very often. Nook UK sell the cable with a charger for £10 (they come from Utrecht in Holland, via UPS) but if the company is in trouble they might become even more difficult to source. Hence my remark that this is a good time to buy one. The HD+ is superb to use, but the cable is a pain.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:17 AM   #6
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
I bought two spare cables and a spare case the moment I bought my HD as I could see stock disappearing, especially as I'm in the UK

I have friends in the US and both cables were posted to me from there as I couldn't get a spare cable at all in the UK, nothing on eBay or on the Nook website. My main case came from the US too, my spare from eBay.

In a nutshell it's almost impossible to buy anything but the actual device over here.

Last edited by Josieb1; 09-11-2013 at 10:20 AM.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Surely the Nook HD/+ use a standard microUSB cable for data/charging?
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 10:50 AM   #8
banjomike
Addict

Nook didn't help by having a picture of the US-only connector on the webpage. In the last couple of hours they have changed it and I can confirm you get a 13 amp plug with it.
http://uk.nook.com/accessories/unive.../9780594515364

I bought two of them when they dropped to £10 but it is still too much to pay when you only want the cable. When the price dropped I did wonder if they were starting a clearout. That would be bad for a lot of people in the future. Cables don't last forever.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:52 AM   #9
banjomike
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No. 30 pin USB for everything. See the link in my previous post.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:53 AM   #10
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
No, Nook use a proprietary 30 pin cable, like Apple, but not the same one. As far as I can tell, and I've hunted around, there are no third party cables at all.
Old 09-11-2013, 10:58 AM   #11
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Nook didn't help by having a picture of the US-only connector on the webpage. In the last couple of hours they have changed it and I can confirm you get a 13 amp plug with it.
http://uk.nook.com/accessories/unive.../9780594515364

I bought two of them when they dropped to £10 but it is still too much to pay when you only want the cable. When the price dropped I did wonder if they were starting a clearout. That would be bad for a lot of people in the future. Cables don't last forever.
I didn't even know they had dropped the price, when I was buying that kit was £15.

One thing I can confirm though is the Kindle and Apple iPhone plugs work with the Nook cable. One of my friends just shipped the cable over, it was cheaper excluding the actual plug.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:01 AM   #12
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer

Even the cases are drastically reduced, the Lautner case was £18 when I got my Nook HD, now it's £10.

Definitely a fire sale now.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:08 AM   #13
banjomike
Addict

I never even thought about getting case from nook. They were expensive and ugly. I got this one off ebay from the USA for just under £9
http://www.ebay.com/itm/300878229344...344%26_rdc%3D1

I did look at TuffLuv but I got one of their stand cases for the nook glowlight and it was crap. The material was so weak everything just leaned over.
Old 09-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #14
DBDigital
Connoisseur
DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DBDigital ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
I never could understand why they went the 30 pin route for the cable. Nooks have always been USB. Granted the Nook Color and Nook Tablet had a different cable to fast charge it (the plug was a little long) but you COULD use a standard USB cable to slow charge it.

Although now that I think of it, the change could have been because the original nook color cable was problematic, not sure if it was a quality issue or design. But they seemed to have that fixed by the time the Nook Tablet came around. At least I never had (or heard) a problem with mine.
DBDigital is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:49 AM   #15
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
No. 30 pin USB for everything. See the link in my previous post.
Good grief. Apple got away with it (and had some reasons, wanting to support both firewire and usb) but there's no excuse nowadays for that sort of thing.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote