Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 04-15-2013, 01:47 PM   #316
biff123
biff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle Touch
Kubrick Help - Screen Saver

Hi - i used Kubrick recently after reading posts about returning the Kindle Touch to normal - much appreciated thank you!

1 - I had jail broke it Successfully a long time ago with an older version of kindle touch firmware.
2 - I now wanted to upgrade to 5.3.2.1
3 - It wouldn't let me, despite my running the jail break and screen saver uninstall files
4 - Ran Kubrick - process did seem to hang at the USB driver bit, i unplugged the kindle and plugged it back in and the application started up again (waited over an hour before i did this though so not coincidence)
5 - I thought i ran the option to jail break (prior to my manually upgrading to 5.3.2.1 later)
6 - After i ran Kubrick, screen saver folder was still present although clearly not in use
7 - I ran the update for 5.3.2.1 all went okay, screensaver folder still there, but my screen saver images not working
8 tried running screen saver file i used for old kindle firmware - does not work, screens save files do not come up.
9 - when system shuts down, screens continues to show what oi was reading

Q please: -

How can i tell if it has Jail broken successfully?
Will the original Screensaver file "update_kindle_touch_custom_screensaver_1.0_instal l.bin" still work with 5.3.2.1? Or do i need to use something else?

The only thing i want to do with it is readbooks and have pictures of my family pop up as screen savers, nothing fancy :-)

Can anyone help please?

Thanks

Jon
biff123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 03:33 PM   #317
biff123
biff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheesebiff123 can extract oil from cheese

oh dear, ran the process again and now it wot boot as kindle :-( just gets stuck at the flashing stage :-(

Have put the kindle on charge, will see what happens tomorrow.

Any ideas?
Old 04-15-2013, 04:08 PM   #318
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
same as yours - re-charge the battery.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM   #319
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by biff123 View Post
Hi - i used Kubrick recently after reading posts about returning the Kindle Touch to normal - much appreciated thank you!

4 - Ran Kubrick - process did seem to hang at the USB driver bit, i unplugged the kindle and plugged it back in and the application started up again (waited over an hour before i did this though so not coincidence)
Sounds like a flat battery.
Quote:
5 - I thought i ran the option to jail break (prior to my manually upgrading to 5.3.2.1 later)
6 - After i ran Kubrick, screen saver folder was still present although clearly not in use
7 - I ran the update for 5.3.2.1 all went okay, screensaver folder still there, but my screen saver images not working
Kubrick operates on the system and (optionally) the internal data partitions, but not the user partition (unless you instruct it to re-install the TTS files, in which case it will put them there).

In other words: it is perfectly normal for the screensaver folder to stay there. Kubrick doesn't delete files on the USB partition.

Quote:
oh dear, ran the process again and now it wot boot as kindle :-( just gets stuck at the flashing stage :-(

Have put the kindle on charge, will see what happens tomorrow.

Any ideas?
Yes, definitely: let it charge, then try again. And don't worry: it's almost impossible to "destroy" a Kindle Touch. Kubrick can almost certainly resurrect it.

Last edited by ixtab; 04-15-2013 at 05:28 PM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 05:02 PM   #320
biff123

Thank you for the detailed reply, will give it another go tomorrow PM.

Jon
Old 04-15-2013, 06:01 PM   #321
perconte
perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.perconte is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Hi every one!
First of all, thanks for another great job, Ixtab.
I have had the Kindle unattended lately and now with this, I can start again.

But I've come to a dead end. I can't put the Kindle in downloader mode and I've tried it a thousand times! How do you do it? I follow the instructions that appear on the screen but nothing happens, my Kindle screen goes black and I can't do anything more.
What I can do?

Anyway, thanks in advance for your great work here, I'll keep trying tomorrow.
perconte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 06:14 PM   #322
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm afraid that I will only repeat the instructions which are already there in Kubrick.... but anyway - on the Kindle Touch:

1. Press the Power button for a loooong time, like 30 seconds. (If it's connected to a computer: until the LED turns off)
2. While KEEPING the power button pressed, also press the HOME button
3. Release the power button, while KEEPING the HOME button pressed.
4. Release the HOME button after a second or two.

Unless something is terribly wrong with your Kindle (hardware fault?) this WILL put the Kindle into USB downloader mode. In fact, at this point, the Kindle SoC state is as close to the hardware as we can ever get, and that particular combination (starting up with the home button pressed) MUST put the chip into USB downloader mode.
Old 04-15-2013, 06:25 PM   #323
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And the USBdownloader mode does not modify the screen on the Kindle.

The SoC has to have additional firmware downloaded to it to even run its external ram. So don't expect anything as sophisticated to control as the e-ink hardware to change (until much later in the process).
Old 04-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #324
ixtab
(offline)

... the only other problem I could think of is a USB problem on the host side, i.e., the Kindle actually entering USB downloader mode, but Kubrick not recognizing it. (Similar to the optical drive driver issues mentioned in earlier posts).

If you keep having problems, please press Alt+F2, login as root (no password), run the following command:
Code:
lsusb
and post its output here.
Old 04-15-2013, 07:04 PM   #325
knc1
Going Viral

bad cable, bad port
Both have been encountered in the past.

Try a different port on your pc.
Try a different USB cable if you have one.
Old 04-16-2013, 03:53 AM   #326
biff123

sounds silly but also try a different PC, i am no expert but i should imagine at that basic level different motherboards and USB bridges in the computers may make all the difference. It is a log time though tat the button should be pressed in for. I am also finding that after i have switched on the USB network in the kindle, i have to unplug the lead before the Kubrick software will continue.

Jon
Old 04-16-2013, 04:03 AM   #327
biff123

Diag Issue: Ixtab

Hi

I was mucking around with the kindle this morning in bed, willing it to work (recall it went into diag mode and now i cant get it to work at all) and just thought i would press and hold the on/off button see what happens (note also it has been on charge over night).

It booted into diag mode - great! I then leapt out of bed and loaded the wiki screen for the Diag mode exit procedure having remembered that i had seen it on the wiki - it worked. Kindle now booting fine.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ing_Diags_Mode

Am i right in saying that now that i ran Kubrick, after selecting install jail break mode (this was the only user defined input i gave it), it is jail broken with 5.2.1?

i really would like to get the screen saver app working again, that's is all i need :-)

Can i now apply the latest update 5.3.2.1, and then apply the screen saver - simple or otherwise? I did try this yesterday for the first time without success - any tips very welcome please?

Will it stay jail broken after the application of the 5.3.2.1?

Will leave it on charge for rest of the day.

Incidentaly before all this happened, it had been on charge (wall socket - 230Vac) for at least two days, so not sure what went wrong, unit is also less than a year old.

Thanks

Jon
Old 04-16-2013, 04:30 AM   #328
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Hi

I was mucking around with the kindle this morning in bed, willing it to work (recall it went into diag mode and now i cant get it to work at all) and just thought i would press and hold the on/off button see what happens (note also it has been on charge over night).

It booted into diag mode - great! I then leapt out of bed and loaded the wiki screen for the Diag mode exit procedure having remembered that i had seen it on the wiki - it worked. Kindle now booting fine.

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kind...ing_Diags_Mode

Am i right in saying that now that i ran Kubrick, after selecting install jail break mode (this was the only user defined input i gave it), it is jail broken with 5.2.1?
Assuming that Kubrick went through correctly, then yes, you initially have a pristine(+jailbreak) 5.1.2 installation.

Quote:
i really would like to get the screen saver app working again, that's is all i need :-)

Can i now apply the latest update 5.3.2.1, and then apply the screen saver - simple or otherwise? I did try this yesterday for the first time without success - any tips very welcome please?

Will it stay jail broken after the application of the 5.3.2.1?
Yes, you can apply the official 5.3.2.1 update, and the device will remain jailbroken. Then install the screensaver hack again (from here I assume), and all should be good.
Old 04-16-2013, 06:29 AM   #329
biff123

Ixtab: Thanks, further Q if you please

Thank you for the completeness of the answer you provided!

I think my initial problem was that i was trying to use a now non-working screen saver hack.

I have looked at the link you provided, thank you!

I have downloaded one of the zip files and reviewed the readme.

However i am still at a loss how to work out which file i should download.

The readme talks about 3.0.x, 3.1.x & 3.2 but at no point is it specified about touch and paper white etc, well not in a language i can understand :-)

I have a touch, that has been Kubricked and updated s yo know to 5.3.2.1, which file do i download and run? Or how do i cross ref what i have with what is in the readme? does 3.2 above = 5.3.2.1?

If I am now asking about info not relevant to this thread i will move to another thread.

Thank you.

Jon
Old 04-16-2013, 06:38 AM   #330
biff123

Hang fire on the response, just realized i downloaded the wrong zip. Did not RTFM - sorry, am trying to correlate touch info vs non-touch info, i strayed away form the original SS hack link you gave me. Will review and post comments in that thread - sorry!

Thanks again for all the support!

Jon

Donation to literacy project will be made. Can you post link?